U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 29,521 times

Advertisements

Hi I am from Detroit, Michigan. I am a 26 year old female. I am single with no kids. I have been thinking about moving to Charlotte NC for about one year now. I have lots of family and Georgia and Virginia but, chose North Carolina because I didn't wanna move to the other two places. I plan to move there in August or before the year is over.

1.)Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of living in Charlotte NC?
2.) Tell me about the living expenses, apartments
3.) Colleges universities, community colleges
4.) Job Employment
5.) Charlotte atmosphere

Thank you, I would appreciate it. Any information would help me. Ive heard so many great things about north Carolina but, I want other people opinions especially north Carolina natives
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM

3,785 posts, read 6,515,952 times
Ummm I guess you had Alabama on your mind when you posted this ?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM

14,944 posts, read 31,339,738 times
It amazes me the people that plan to move somewhere, yet they know nothing about it, nor do they have a job lined up.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,033,501 times
Hi, Nicoleina -

The basic info about Charlotte can be found on the City-Data page:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...-Carolina.html

and Wikipedia:
Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lots of your questions have been answered and discussed on this forum. Just go to the Charlotte page -
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/ click "search this forum" and put in a term you want more information about, and previous threads will come up.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,124,398 times
Please have a job lined up before you come or have at least a year's savings to fall back on. Our unemployment numbers are some of the worst in the country. You might well have a better chance at a job (if you are not working already) there since the auto industry is experiencing a bit of a revival....

Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM

118 posts, read 260,016 times
Depends what industry and job you are looking for. Unemployment is different for different types of professionals....not every profession is the same.
And from experience, its easier to get a job if your in that location already. So I would recommend moving there, if that is where you want to be, and looking. And of course have savings in case it takes a while to find a job.
Unfortunately, not everyone can always have a job lined up in another state...although it would be nice.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,432,753 times
Mike, I'm going to assume you don't live here based on your advice to move "there." The advice about moving here with a job has been given time and time again, yet people move here without a job and complain that there aren't any jobs available. It happens quite a bit. Cubs is right on in her post.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-30-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
Depends what industry and job you are looking for. Unemployment is different for different types of professionals....not every profession is the same.
And from experience, its easier to get a job if your in that location already. So I would recommend moving there, if that is where you want to be, and looking. And of course have savings in case it takes a while to find a job.
Unfortunately, not everyone can always have a job lined up in another state...although it would be nice.
In all cities this is essentially true but with Charlotte you might NEVER find something. This reason alone is why I wouldn't recommend anyone moving to Charlotte without a job lined up.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,315,206 times
Coming from Detroit, everything will be a pro in Charlotte.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,370,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
In all cities this is essentially true but with Charlotte you might NEVER find something. This reason alone is why I wouldn't recommend anyone moving to Charlotte without a job lined up.
Never find something? I wouldn't go that far... there is always "something" in Charlotte but if you are in a certain field and refuse to work odd jobs it could get ugly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte