Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM

156 posts, read 309,306 times

Advertisements

When you say crime is on the rise in South Charlotte, what part are you discussing? The SouthPark area or more like the Ballantyne area. I recently visited both and felt very safe. Am I naive to feel safe in these areas? Again, I'm looking to relocate my family to NC. We really like the Ballantyne area...considering making that area our new home. Although, these threads sometimes make me reconsider my relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
When you say crime is on the rise in South Charlotte, what part are you discussing? The SouthPark area or more like the Ballantyne area. I recently visited both and felt very safe. Am I naive to feel safe in these areas? Again, I'm looking to relocate my family to NC. We really like the Ballantyne area...considering making that area our new home. Although, these threads sometimes make me reconsider my relocation.
It appears all the wealthier areas of S Charlotte are experiencing crime spikes. However, this area has always been -- statistically --the safest in Charlotte, so any increase appears dramatic.

Criminals are most likely following the money. Why break into your own neighborhood when you can get more high priced goodies 30 minutes away.

I had a police officer tell me that CMPD is also concerned about repeat offenders who have apparently moved into S CLT. One such case, I was told, was only a few blocks from my house. The perp did not sign the lease--his girlfriend did, and then he moved in. I was told that LE was keeping an eye on the guy but dear lord --no one has resources to do that for hundreds of repeat offenders all over the city. In this case, LE suspected several local crimes were committed by this one guy but they didn't have enough evidence to pick him up.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Not being sarcastic but don't you have crime in LI?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM

Do we have crime on LI? Yes. But it tends to stay in certain less desirable areas. It's very rare to hear about crime in certain neighborhoods on Long Island.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well this country's worst riots took place in the long hot summers. So is it gonna get worse in the coming months?

I don't see the criminal element being organized enough to do much more than they are doing now--random crime to raise some cash pawning your and my belongings.

If there are riots at the DNC I predict it will come from outsiders importing the violence.
I don't think it will get much worse once the summer hits. I think criminals got a head start due to 70's and low 80's in Feb and March....

LE will ramp up for the DNC and that will curb some crime in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I don't think it will get much worse once the summer hits. I think criminals got a head start due to 70's and low 80's in Feb and March....

LE will ramp up for the DNC and that will curb some crime in my opinion.
I think you are right, too. At least I hope so. I think a lot of homeowners are gonna be on their toes during that period, too. It would be foolish not to be cautious.

And as I mentioned earlier, I think a lot of the crime we have experienced has been drug related -- not as tho an innocent bystander is targeted in those cases.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Just for clarification...where is south Charlotte??
Southpark area or Ballantyne area??
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Just for clarification...where is south Charlotte??
Southpark area or Ballantyne area??
Thanks for the info.
They are both considered south Charlotte. Usually Ballantyne is just called Ballantyne.

But, the crime is everywhere in the city. It is not like you are going to get shot walking down the street or anything, (unless you are involved in activities that would prompt that). The crime is mostly break-ins, theft, things like that.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
They are both considered south Charlotte. Usually Ballantyne is just called Ballantyne.

But, the crime is everywhere in the city. It is not like you are going to get shot walking down the street or anything, (unless you are involved in activities that would prompt that). The crime is mostly break-ins, theft, things like that.
Really, what happened to the hospital executive walking home in the am after getting some coffee in an affluent Southpark neighborhood?

Some gangsta thug walked up to him and shot point blank - killing the executive in broad daylight.

Cedar Posts and Barbed Wire Fences: Chauncey Sterling Arrested in the Murder of Dr. Robert Barber

crime rate spikes-sterling5.jpg

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Really, what happened to the hospital executive walking home in the am after getting some coffee in an affluent Southpark neighborhood?

Some gangsta thug walked up to him and shot point blank - killing the executive in broad daylight.

Cedar Posts and Barbed Wire Fences: Chauncey Sterling Arrested in the Murder of Dr. Robert Barber

Attachment 94723

I hope that's the right person in that picture.

On a separate note, how about the two ADA's who were attacked over the weekend? Perhaps this will light a little bit of a fire under their tails to start sending more of these crooks to jail for more than a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte