U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,626,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Undercoating and paint protection are certainly high profit items, but that's not a bad thing. Profit has become a 4 letter word for some reason. People need to understand that a company needs profit to survive. Look at how many companies went out of business in the last few years.
I never said profit was a bad thing. And I doubt many dealers have gone out of business that weren't forced to during the bailout. I also didn't invent haggling as part of way you buy a car versus a TV. I also don't think part of your pitch should be to make the customer angry so you can control their emotions. This is a standard practice. Google "four square" (which I won't be playing because I don't have a trade or financing).

Quote:
My understanding from a friend who has bought several Toyotas is that there are two major buying groups on the East Coast for Toyota. One operates under one set of rules (charges for undercoating) and one on a different set of rules. I don't understand all the details but my buddy ran into some conflicts when shopping among dealers all the way up to New England.
Southeast Toyota is the monopoly for this area. They often switch out wheels that come from the factory in order to boost the price. To be fair, there are several levels of "Toyocare" and some are much cheaper and some are free. That doesn't stop the dealer from adding it themselves of course.

For me, I'm going to pit three dealers against each other using a car buying service. I'll let everyone know how that turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Just had this conversation this week, with a friend who was in this business for many years. Dealerships are making near to nothing on the actual vehicle itself. Their money is coming in via the doc fees. And just like any other business, they are trying to keep the doors open.
What do you think the invoice price is on $639 of undercoating and roadside assistance?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,563,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
What do you think the invoice price is on $639 of undercoating and roadside assistance?

What does that have to do with what I posted? I was sharing with you knowledge from someone who was in the business, holds tremendous knowledge and still has ties to it though friendships. He also shared that what salesmen are making is equivalent to $10/hour. You can take that knowledge or not.

You can not cherry pick the doc fees, you either pay it or you don't. Your choices lie in the manufacturer. You will also find give and take in used cars not new ones.

I can refer McKenney-Salinas Honda in Gastonia to you. That was absolutely the best car buying experience either of us had. They advertise no games, no gimmicks and that proved to be true.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
What does that have to do with what I posted?
What's wrong with a follow-up question?

Quote:
I can refer McKenney-Salinas Honda in Gastonia to you. That was absolutely the best car buying experience either of us had. They advertise no games, no gimmicks and that proved to be true.
Honda <> Toyota but thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM

333 posts, read 679,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Might be $100 or so, it is a scam as far I am concerned.

I refuse to pay an admin fee; this is a new thing that has been passed along in the past few years. Some dealers try to get away with murder on them, some charging $700 just on the admin fee no extras.

Most cars’ out there should be at invoice price, some lower depending on manufacture incentives. Don’t forget most dealers make their money on hold back on the invoice price from the manufacture.

When I bought my car in Oct the dealer said they could not get of the admin on the invoice but they would discount the car another $700 on the
price to cover it, so I ended up being $700 below invoice. Its all a game

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM

333 posts, read 679,705 times
Oh make sure you use http://www.truecar.com or others to see what you should be paying for your car.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM

569 posts, read 1,219,579 times
You can also use. Buy A New Car Online | CarWoo! to negotiate online before you walk on the lot. When you first test drive a vehicle before you negotiate it puts you at a disadvantage IMO. If you test drive a car and you really like it you now have emotional ties which put you at a disadvantage in the negotiations. Also, you are on the dealers turf (not neutral ground). The salespeople do this everyday for a living. Chances are.... if you have thought of it they have dealt with it regarding negotiations. You are at a disadvantage the moment you walk on the lot without prior negotiations.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

371 posts, read 984,857 times
Which Additional Fees Should I Pay at the Dealership? What is The Doc Fee? | TrueCar Blog

Found this article. Ran into this when we bought our Ford. I had employee pricing, so they couldn't lower the sales price. The attached reason is the reason they gave for the doc fee also...or not negotiating it anyway. This was about two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or