Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM

174 posts, read 486,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Can't believe it was 5:00 on a Saturday that this happened.
Well, me either. I mean, that was part of what caught me off guard.

Quote:
did the kid at your door look familar?
We don't have kids, but we live in a "kid neighborhood," and so... kids all look the same to us. It was a kid! Had bad acne. Looked totally harmless and comfortably local.

Quote:
Did the police take a report? Sounds like they didn't
They did not. The key here is to CALL IMMEDIATELY. A day later, the police can't help you. It took me a day for this to register as something strange. It was a Saturday, I was lazy, not thinking like I'd have a scam like this present itself. Nuts!

We do not have a dog. And we notice that many people in our neighborhood do leave their garages open and, to me, their houses look ripe for the picking. We try NOT TO DO THIS. Our house is shut up tight. Door locks are solid. Lights are always on. We thought about getting a "dog doorbell," but they all sound fake of course. We have nearby windows we can "answer the door" from, and will probably do that from now on.

And we have been exploring the concept of video relay with two-way audio (direct from smart phone), so we can interact with (and record an image of) anyone at our door no matter where we may be. We might even do this. Seems like a reasonable use of technology.

The really scary thing is that this morning our nice neighbor came over to bring us some of our mail that got mixed in with theirs... and I was gonna call the cops because someone was knocking on my door!

Now I'm going to go read the thread I see about "kick-in" intruders and freak myself out even more.

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Nothing wrong with taking precautions if you feel unsafe but never answering the door or hiding? That sounds like a crappy way to live.

I have a huge peep hole and I also have an alarm sign and my keypad can be viewed from the front door.... but I'm not living in fear. That's not living if you ask me...

Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I doubt that LI is this kind of utopia where you don't lock your doors or leave your cars unlocked. I don't know of any place where that is is the norm anymore.
Actually, in many areas, it is.

Unlike Charlotte, Long Island is covered with local police. It's a common thing to see patrol cars everywhere - which I am sure is a deterrent.

On the other hand, crime is way underreported on Long Island.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Originally Posted by chicagocubs
I doubt that LI is this kind of utopia where you don't lock your doors or leave your cars unlocked. I don't know of any place where that is is the norm anymore.

I bet I could go to lots of places in PA and find unlocked doors to houses, cars and keys hidden in the car.

I don't usually answer my door, but not out of fear. More out of annoyance at people trying to hawk their wares, push their religion, etc.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Yeah, that's definitely not a new tactic.

I had something similar happen to me, only it was older folks, maybe early forties. When the bell rang, I went upstairs and looked out the window. I could see an early '90's pick up truck in my driveway. My wife was at work and my truck was in the garage. They were not selling pine needles, because I could see the bed of the truck was empty.

Doorbell range again and I see another person in the pick up get out and walk towards the back of my house. There were three guys altogether, so one remained in the drivers seat of the pick up truck. They were fairly well dressed, meaning not in work clothes or any type of uniform, like TWC.

Along the way, I picked up my handgun, extra magazine and the old standby, the Louisville Slugger. I called 911 and told them exactly what was happening. While on the phone with 911, I heard one of them try the back door knob.

Lucky for them, the cops pulled up, blocking their truck. One took off running and the cops corralled the other two. They claimed to be selling pine needles, yet there was not even one strand of a pine needle in their truck. They did have various tools that could be used as burglary tools. I walked around back and found a screw driver wedged in my window screen.

Cops charged them with attempted burglary, possession of burglary tools and various warrants from different counties.

They met a better fate, then if they would have entered my home.......I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to cause me great bodily harm, in the pursuit of burglarizing my home and stealing all that I worked for.

You really have to be careful, because another method is to home invade. They ring the bell, you open the door and they push their way into your home. I know that rare, but it does happen and people should be aware.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

Unlike Charlotte, Long Island is covered with local police. It's a common thing to see patrol cars everywhere - which I am sure is a deterrent.

Really, what part of LI are you from?

I've lived in Long Beach, Oceanside and Dix Hills, we rarely saw any police cars driving down our blocks.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

It used to be like this in my neighborhood outside of Pittsburgh, PA. We left our front doors open and left the screen door unlocked in the summertime to keep the house cool.

I doubt people leave their doors unlocked in LI nowadays... if they do, I bet they are the ones who don't report their stolen goods because they know what the police will say.. "lock your doors"

Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post

I had something similar happen to me, only it was older folks, maybe early forties. When the bell rang, I went upstairs and looked out the window. I could see an early '90's pick up truck in my driveway. My wife was at work and my truck was in the garage. They were not selling pine needles, because I could see the bed of the truck was empty.

Doorbell range again and I see another person in the pick up get out and walk towards the back of my house. There were three guys altogether, so one remained in the drivers seat of the pick up truck. They were fairly well dressed, meaning not in work clothes or any type of uniform, like TWC.

Along the way, I picked up my handgun, extra magazine and the old standby, the Louisville Slugger. I called 911 and told them exactly what was happening. While on the phone with 911, I heard one of them try the back door knob.

Lucky for them, the cops pulled up, blocking their truck. One took off running and the cops corralled the other two. They claimed to be selling pine needles, yet there was not even one strand of a pine needle in their truck. They did have various tools that could be used as burglary tools. I walked around back and found a screw driver wedged in my window screen.

Cops charged them with attempted burglary, possession of burglary tools and various warrants from different counties.

They met a better fate, then if they would have entered my home.......I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to cause me great bodily harm, in the pursuit of burglarizing my home and stealing all that I worked for.

You really have to be careful, because another method is to home invade. They ring the bell, you open the door and they push their way into your home. I know that rare, but it does happen and people should be aware.
It would be interesting to know what happened to them...probably back on the street looking for next victim...

I wish that next time the thugs get blasted, since this definitely it is the only deterrent that works with these low life.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM

156 posts, read 309,306 times
Quote:
Really, what part of LI are you from?

I've lived in Long Beach, Oceanside and Dix Hills, we rarely saw any police cars driving down our blocks.

Currently in Northport, we see police patrols in the area. Mainly looking for red light or traffic offenders but the presence is there & felt in the community.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 PM

156 posts, read 309,306 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear about this experience. was it recent?? Middle aged people huh?? unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte