U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,094,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Very easy to get and cheap too. back in the 90's before the assault gun ban you could pick them up for 300 bucks and cheaper, and their lesser known cousin the SKS for under 200. They were never outlawed just the size of clip that you could carry. the law sunsetted, several years ago, and you once again can buy big clips for them. Understand these are not fully automatic weapons, they are semi's meaning the fire as fast as you pull the trigger. Fully automatics are illegal without a permit for them.
Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have never written a post on this forum knowingly giving incorrect info. Maybe you should do some research on crime in S CLT --especially if you get the victims to reveal details of the crime that were not released to the public.

Call me whatever. Crime can happen anywhere, as we all know. But a false sense of security can be as foolish as lack of security measures.
Ani you are one of my favourite posters here, I deeply apologize and I'm sorry if I offended you...

Now that you provided details I definitely believe you, but it is shocking to find out that there are such criminals between us picking on regular folks and killing their dog... I always associated these types of brutal forced entry with a vendetta/business motive, hence my ignorant comments. Not surprised that it would not be in the news...

I am relieved to know that no family member (except dog) got shot. Also I question how can we even prepare for such situation...I think that having a gun could do more harm, very few of us have the cool head and mental training to perform/shoot well under that type of duress (when our family's life is in danger). If we miss, most likely the entire affair will turn bloody in seconds...

Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Anifani...very horrible situation for your friends. Did this happen recently? If you don't mind me asking...where?
This happened in the last few years -- i am thinking in 2009, in South Charlotte. I did not know the family b/f the incident. I spoke with the woman whose dog was shot a matter of weeks after the home invasion. At that time, there were no suspects. I spoke to a mutual friend months after that, and there still were no suspects and no arrests. It is possible that they have seen been apprehended and I am just not aware of it. I hadn't thought about it to check on it til today.

Although this did not occur in my neighborhood, several people who knew of the situation worked to form a neighborhood watch in our neighborhood after this incident.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Ani you are one of my favourite posters here, I deeply apologize and I'm sorry if I offended you...

Now that you provided details I definitely believe you, but it is shocking to find out that there are such criminals between us picking on regular folks and killing their dog... I always associated these types of brutal forced entry with a vendetta/business motive, hence my ignorant comments. Not surprised that it would not be in the news...

I am relieved to know that no family member (except dog) got shot. Also I question how can we even prepare for such situation...I think that having a gun could do more harm, very few of us have the cool head and mental training to perform/shoot well under that type of duress (when our family's life is in danger). If we miss, most likely the entire affair will turn bloody in seconds...
Good point --I don't know how any of us could be prepared for this type of situation. If I recall correctly, the crime happened after dark but not late --maybe 10pm-ish. Family members were still up (not in bed). Doors were locked, according to what I was told. The typical things were ripped off, electronics. If anything else was taken, I either don't remember or wasn't told. No car was stolen.

BTW --this was not a guard dog -- just a family pet and not a big dog. I got the impression that the thugs just didn't want the dog barking. :-(

PS. Yes, I was a bit offended til I re-read what I had written. It does sound improbable (assault weapons). If you had written that, I would have raised my eyebrows, lol. So no offense taken.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-02-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times
Quote:
Maybe this all seems amusing to you, Felt, but I can assure you, the victim of this particular home invasion, as well as her family members, were traumatized.
They were fortunate to not have been killed and they realize it. But killing someone's dog just b/c it was doing its job--barking--is pretty crappy.

I have no idea if the perps shot the dog w/ a handgun.I never asked. I was told the two guys who rushed into the house first had what the homeowners identified or thought were AKs.
Sorry Ani but it sounded a like a scene out of a movie...

An AK doesn't seem realistic for a home invasion unless the perps knew the people or knew they had something of great value. I haven't heard of any other AK's in a Charlotte crime so it sounded a little dramatic.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,646,745 times
Quote:
I think dogs can give some criminals pause, but the trend in Charlotte is -- the thugs kick down the door and kill the dog. These thugstas have been known to be toting AKs, and they are immature and antisocial. No frontal lobe control. Do not count on your dog keeping a thugsta w/ a weapon and anger issues off your property.
Quote:
This happened in the last few years -- i am thinking in 2009, in South Charlotte. I did not know the family b/f the incident. I spoke with the woman whose dog was shot a matter of weeks after the home invasion. At that time, there were no suspects. I spoke to a mutual friend months after that, and there still were no suspects and no arrests. It is possible that they have seen been apprehended and I am just not aware of it. I hadn't thought about it to check on it til today.

Although this did not occur in my neighborhood, several people who knew of the situation worked to form a neighborhood watch in our neighborhood after this incident.
Is this the only incident? Even if it happened exactly as described, one incident is not a trend. And with the details being so far outside the norm, I think it's reasonable for people to wonder why they hadn't heard anything about this "trend". If it happened just like the homeowner said, well obviously that's terrible - but it was several years ago and there haven't been any other incidents like it? I'd say it was an isolated thing then. And it's also possible that the homeowner got the type of gun wrong or even exaggerated to give the story more power. But however it happened, unless it's been happening since, it's not a trend.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Is this the only incident? Even if it happened exactly as described, one incident is not a trend. And with the details being so far outside the norm, I think it's reasonable for people to wonder why they hadn't heard anything about this "trend". If it happened just like the homeowner said, well obviously that's terrible - but it was several years ago and there haven't been any other incidents like it? I'd say it was an isolated thing then. And it's also possible that the homeowner got the type of gun wrong or even exaggerated to give the story more power. But however it happened, unless it's been happening since, it's not a trend.
I have heard others say they heard assault weapons had been used in other crimes, but those were not primary source reports. As is correct to infere, maybe those reports were urban rumors. I have gotten info from what I would consider reliable sources, but again, not from police reports or officers or witnesses on the scene. I agree that I should not have used the word "trend" without being able to back that up with fact. Point taken.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Is this really a "new" scam? I know it used to happen in CA all the time. They knock on the door to see if anyone is home and if they are, they make up some reason for knocking.
Not new at all. Years ago if I had to leave the house a while and had one or both of my kids home, I always instructed them to never ignore a knock on the door. God forbid they'd be sick in bed or watching a movie and some meth head kicks in the back door on them.

I taught my kids to talk through the door and say, sorry, I'm on the phone! Come back later!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-04-2012 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: inappopriate word

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,649,839 times
Regarding AK47's.........the average criminal more than likely will not have one, but of coarse it's possible. As far as the criminal elements goes, AK47's are very popular in the gangs. The most ruthless are the Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings and MS-13. There are literally hundreds more gangs. The Bloods and Crips even have sub gangs such as Shotgun Crips, Rolling 20 Crips and Avlon Crips, United Blood Nation.

When these savages go at it, they are twenty or thirty strong, so the AK47 is the perfect weapon for them to spray a lot of rounds in a short period.

And, AK47's are NOT cheap. Talking about the black market, the hoodlums/murderers will pay over $1000.00 for them, because they are all stolen or somehow smuggled in from another country. An average Joe can buy one legitimately for $300/700, or even more for higher quality.

Fact is, criminals can get guns more easily than an upstanding citizen, wanting to protect themselves from those very same criminals. When guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:16 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,387,356 times
I did not know that this was common place down South. I had an incident recently where the guy was in a Caddy parked in front of my neighbors house for too long. I asked him what he was doing and he said he wanted to buy the house. The house was not for sale! I wasn't thinking because I was outside doing some lawn work. When I started to question him, he got very nervous and drove off. He had some kind of satellite map in his car. Now, when I am outise you can best believe that I am packing. Most crimes take place weekdays from 10am to 2pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte