Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,589,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I doubt people leave their doors unlocked in LI nowadays... if they do, I bet they are the ones who don't report their stolen goods because they know what the police will say.. "lock your doors"
Few people leave their (house) doors unlocked, though theft from vehicles is uncommon.

I could say the same for many areas in New Jersey too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,589,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Really, what part of LI are you from?

I've lived in Long Beach, Oceanside and Dix Hills, we rarely saw any police cars driving down our blocks.
In fairness, I didn't even consider this until reading what you wrote, but I live off of a reasonably busy road (though it isn't a main thoroughfare).

Areas like Oceanside, Bellmore, Wantagh and Massapequa are all well patrolled.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,116,937 times
Truth is that many times here in Union County I have seen the sheriff car patrolling the neighbourhoods.
And I know from experience that when the house alarm goes, they are very quick to show up.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,130,323 times
Quote:

....I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to cause me great bodily harm, in the pursuit of burglarizing my home and stealing all that I worked for.

Thank you, Jules, for your post.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,573,216 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's definitely not a new tactic.

I had something similar happen to me, only it was older folks, maybe early forties. When the bell rang, I went upstairs and looked out the window. I could see an early '90's pick up truck in my driveway. My wife was at work and my truck was in the garage. They were not selling pine needles, because I could see the bed of the truck was empty.

Doorbell range again and I see another person in the pick up get out and walk towards the back of my house. There were three guys altogether, so one remained in the drivers seat of the pick up truck. They were fairly well dressed, meaning not in work clothes or any type of uniform, like TWC.

Along the way, I picked up my handgun, extra magazine and the old standby, the Louisville Slugger. I called 911 and told them exactly what was happening. While on the phone with 911, I heard one of them try the back door knob.

Lucky for them, the cops pulled up, blocking their truck. One took off running and the cops corralled the other two. They claimed to be selling pine needles, yet there was not even one strand of a pine needle in their truck. They did have various tools that could be used as burglary tools. I walked around back and found a screw driver wedged in my window screen.

Cops charged them with attempted burglary, possession of burglary tools and various warrants from different counties.

They met a better fate, then if they would have entered my home.......I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to cause me great bodily harm, in the pursuit of burglarizing my home and stealing all that I worked for.

You really have to be careful, because another method is to home invade. They ring the bell, you open the door and they push their way into your home. I know that rare, but it does happen and people should be aware.
See I would have waited to call 911 until after they found my surprise. It would have went something like this.

911. whats your emergency.

Me. no emergency I just want to schedule a trash pick up.

911. Oh you need to dial 311 for that.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,973,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Sorry to hear about this experience. was it recent?? Middle aged people huh?? unbelievable.

That was a little over two years ago. The one at the front and back door definitely looked late thirties/forties. The driver may have been a little younger.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,973,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Thank you, Jules, for your post.

I was waiting for someone to catch it.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,975,641 times
Many years ago a rusted out old car with 4 grubby, hillbilly types pulled into my driveway.....one of them knocked on the door.

I cracked my bow window and asked him what he wanted.

He wanted to know if I wanted my TV antenna painted!

At the time I had two large dogs.....one who looked like a yellow lab and one who looked like a huge wolf with a big, thick mane.....he was a Malamute, Collie mutt mix.

They both had their front feet up on the bow window savagely barking at the guy when I cracked the window to ask him what he wanted.

I KNOW my boys saved me that day.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
I think dogs can give some criminals pause, but the trend in Charlotte is -- the thugs kick down the door and kill the dog. These thugstas have been known to be toting AKs, and they are immature and antisocial. No frontal lobe control. Do not count on your dog keeping a thugsta w/ a weapon and anger issues off your property.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM

152 posts, read 290,793 times
Anifani...has there been situations where they have kicked in the doors and killed the dog?? If so, where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte