Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think dogs can give some criminals pause, but the trend in Charlotte is -- the thugs kick down the door and kill the dog. These thugstas have been known to be toting AKs, and they are immature and antisocial. No frontal lobe control. Do not count on your dog keeping a thugsta w/ a weapon and anger issues off your property.
Ani you are a bit of a Debbie Downer now...
If they come with AK's and kick the door down, most likely nobody stands a chance (gun owners or not) to defend their homes. Luckily enough the chance of them shooting your dog and toting their AK's into a home invasion to a regular resident is almost not existent. Most likely this would happen when a drug deal went wrong, or gangs vs gang war.
How many of these violent home invasions (dogs killed with AK's) happened to regular residents, in the last 5/10 years in Charlotte?

Most likely some potheads kids will try to go for an easy steal (bikes left outside, car break-in for the visible purse left inside, laptops, cellphone, credit cards, jewellery, etc) and many don't even cary a gun.
A decent size barking dog combined with home alarm is still a good deterrent against possible home break-ins in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
why stop at AK's? Lets throw in some grenade launchers while we are at it.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think dogs can give some criminals pause, but the trend in Charlotte is -- the thugs kick down the door and kill the dog. These thugstas have been known to be toting AKs, and they are immature and antisocial. No frontal lobe control. Do not count on your dog keeping a thugsta w/ a weapon and anger issues off your property.
Wouldn't they be more likely to have AR15s than AKs?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Highly unlikely to have AR15's. Very expensive and harder to get than the much cheaper ak47. I've yet to hear about robberies with ak's and dog's being killed. Most of these robbers are looking for easy targets. The police don't put much effort into finding someone that has kicked in a door and made off with a few thousand in loot while nobody is home. Now if someone kicked in said door, shot a dog, or a worse a person, they would be found quickly. Also where are you going to hide an AK its not something someone can stuff down their pants.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Ani you are a bit of a Debbie Downer now...
If they come with AK's and kick the door down, most likely nobody stands a chance (gun owners or not) to defend their homes. Luckily enough the chance of them shooting your dog and toting their AK's into a home invasion to a regular resident is almost not existent. Most likely this would happen when a drug deal went wrong, or gangs vs gang war.
How many of these violent home invasions (dogs killed with AK's) happened to regular residents, in the last 5/10 years in Charlotte?

Most likely some potheads kids will try to go for an easy steal (bikes left outside, car break-in for the visible purse left inside, laptops, cellphone, credit cards, jewellery, etc) and many don't even cary a gun.
A decent size barking dog combined with home alarm is still a good deterrent against possible home break-ins in most cases.
I have never written a post on this forum knowingly giving incorrect info. Maybe you should do some research on crime in S CLT --especially if you get the victims to reveal details of the crime that were not released to the public.

Call me whatever. Crime can happen anywhere, as we all know. But a false sense of security can be as foolish as lack of security measures.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I would select an uzi, myself. This is what I was told by a victim of a crime that took place in S CLT. She said the details were not all reported and no one had been arrested and no suspects (this was only a matter of weeks after the home invasion happened).

Details don't always get released to the public. Surely you are aware of that.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: edit info

Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
why stop at AK's? Lets throw in some grenade launchers while we are at it.
Maybe this all seems amusing to you, Felt, but I can assure you, the victim of this particular home invasion, as well as her family members, were traumatized.
They were fortunate to not have been killed and they realize it. But killing someone's dog just b/c it was doing its job--barking--is pretty crappy.

I have no idea if the perps shot the dog w/ a handgun.I never asked. I was told the two guys who rushed into the house first had what the homeowners identified or thought were AKs.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM

152 posts, read 292,084 times
Anifani...very horrible situation for your friends. Did this happen recently? If you don't mind me asking...where?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Highly unlikely to have AR15's. Very expensive and harder to get than the much cheaper ak47. I've yet to hear about robberies with ak's and dog's being killed. Most of these robbers are looking for easy targets. The police don't put much effort into finding someone that has kicked in a door and made off with a few thousand in loot while nobody is home. Now if someone kicked in said door, shot a dog, or a worse a person, they would be found quickly. Also where are you going to hide an AK its not something someone can stuff down their pants.
I'm not that familar with gun laws but I didn't think you could easily get AKs in the States. WDIK, though.

I agree that it is an impractical weapon for a home invasion type of scenario. But criminals aren't always the most logical creatures.

I'm not arguing if it happened or not. I was just asking about the type of weapon used.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
I'm not that familar with gun laws but I didn't think you could easily get AKs in the States. WDIK, though.

I agree that it is an impractical weapon for a home invasion type of scenario. But criminals aren't always the most logical creatures.

I'm not arguing if it happened or not. I was just asking about the type of weapon used.
Very easy to get and cheap too. back in the 90's before the assault gun ban you could pick them up for 300 bucks and cheaper, and their lesser known cousin the SKS for under 200. They were never outlawed just the size of clip that you could carry. the law sunsetted, several years ago, and you once again can buy big clips for them. Understand these are not fully automatic weapons, they are semi's meaning the fire as fast as you pull the trigger. Fully automatics are illegal without a permit for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte