Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The difference in you and I, is that I never used verbal assault on others. I used my vote to be heard as opposed to dragging others down and resorting to personal attacks. One of the things about politics is that one's true character and intregrity shows. Remember that.
The people who voted for this amendment showed their true character...that they are small-minded, backwards thinking bigots. They deserve to be ridiculed and despised for that.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Wow, your hatred really is showing. Sad, really sad.
Yes...I hate homophobes, racists, sexists and bigots of all types.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
The people who voted for this amendment showed their true character...that they are small-minded, backwards thinking bigots. They deserve to be ridiculed and despised for that.
Oh ok, so it is ok for YOU to be ugly, ridicule and hate but when someone uses their right to vote, they are wrong.....gotcha, ok. But remember, who has done the majority of name calling here, depsite how they voted. That would be YOU!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM

67 posts, read 76,616 times
So, I have this friend who has been in a Domestic Partnership with her same-sex partner for 20 years. Which is longer than most hetero marriages last, as an aside.
She recently had a massive stroke. Besides her partner, she has no other family except her daughter who is a drug addict and steals from her.
This woman's partner is allowed to visit her, but is not able to make any decision in her care or even get any information about her condition.
These women share a home with bills in their names, car payments, and everything that a typical committed couple shares over a 20 year span.
There is NO difference between them and a 'regular' couple except that they both posses vaginas.
Today, the majority of this state voted that they have no rights to each other.
I fail to see how this is a good thing, and please excuse my disgust and rage against those who act in ignorance and against basic humanity.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
While I am generally opposed to gay MARRIAGE, I have wondered why all of the extra stuff was attatched to this Amendment. Why outlaw civil unions? Why not allow for the same protections for same-sex couples? In my opinion, MARRIAGE is between one man, and one woman, and should stay that way. All the other stuff being attatched makes no sense to me. I can see why people like you, Sue, would be upset. Thanks for being an adult about it and not calling people names like a two-year-old and making bigoted generalizations. That's reserved for the self-righteous.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
While I am generally opposed to gay MARRIAGE, I have wondered why all of the extra stuff was attatched to this Amendment. Why outlaw civil unions? Why not allow for the same protections for same-sex couples? In my opinion, MARRIAGE is between one man, and one woman, and should stay that way. All the other stuff being attatched makes no sense to me. I can see why people like you, Sue, would be upset. Thanks for being an adult about it and not calling people names like a two-year-old and making bigoted generalizations. That's reserved for the self-righteous.
It always cracks me up when people call names in the same sentence while damning others who call names.

I can't even begin to comprehend why anyone would vote for this amendment, especially considering the majority who voted for it are the same ones screaming about our supposed lack of freedom. It makes me sick to my core to know I share my state with people who hold such depth of hatred and bigotry.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 PM

67 posts, read 76,616 times
Peyton, that is the core of it. If people want to be against gay marriage then fine, but this Amendment wasn't just about that. It has provision that hurt everyone, not just homosexuals.
I support people, gay, straight, bi, whatever. What happened today was an attack on basic rights for everyone.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Dang dude, show some class. You are acting like a child. People don't agree with you, so they are bigots or haters. Priceless.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Coped, I ask with sincerity: why is this matter so personal to you?
I take civil rights very seriously. I believe in the best in American society and am quite disappointed when discrimination is enshrined in God's name. Politics and religion do not mix. The greatest tragedies in history are the result of people using political and military power in "God's" name. I thought America was better than that, but apparently not.

Quote:
Can't people have a simple disagreement without it getting so personal?
The position banning personal rights is not a "simple disagreement." It is antithetical to what Americans claim to hold dear.

If you don't believe in homosexuality, fine. You have that right. Just as racists have the right to believe what they want to believe. I don't associate with racists and I won't associate with homophobes. But when you try to enshrine that discriminatory belief into a document of law, you've cross the line. I will stand up for the rights of all.

Quote:
Has a Christian ever done anything that you do approve of, or like? Or is it just their judgements that you dislike?
Jesus' teachings are for the most part excellent. The patience and charity he teaches are outstanding. Many of the more rational, mainline segments of Protestantism came out against this Amendment. They are the real Christians.

Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else - YouTube

Quote:
Can someone form an opinion independently, without "being manipulated"?
If someone can defend that position logically and rationally, then I might accept that it is an independently formed opinion. But if they resort to religious dogma, they are being manipulated.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
The difference in you and I, is that I never used verbal assault on others. I used my vote to be heard as opposed to dragging others down and resorting to personal attacks. One of the things about politics is that one's true character and intregrity shows. Remember that.
You are a master of passive-aggression, Chrome. You most certainly have made personal attacks. Stand by your words and quit obfuscating.

The very position you state is offensive and a personal attack on all North Carolinians. Now it is enshrined in law and good and talented people will now have to waste time and resources beating back this damaging law.

Last edited by coped; 05-08-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte