U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM

29,677 posts, read 27,113,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I love Charlotte as a city. I would like nothing better than to put down roots here, but the economy has me discouraged and unfortunately I've reached a point where I can no longer stay here. I can either live in Charlotte but work a miserable dead-end job that has me trapped and barely financially affloat or move somewhere else and make a better life for myself.
Go ahead and make your move and perhaps the door will open for you to return in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM

11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
IMO, most of it has to do with some transplants coming to Charlotte hoping for rainbows, pots of gold and unicorns dancing in fields of flowers and then discovering that it's no different than anywhere else. The problems they were hoping to leave behind also packed their bags here and moved with them. Add to that the different climate, the fact that most natives aren't impressed they moved here from wherever & whatever and have no interested in their customs, and it ends up making for some very sour dispositions.

This doesn't apply to all transplants but only the ones who do a lot of complaining about the area and the people.
I'm a transplant and I know a ton of people from my childhood in PA who moved here. Not sure why but I haven't heard any of them complain about Charlotte. Now there are definitely some NY's who complain but I've lived in NYC and people don't hold their tongue when they don't like something but it doesn't mean they hate Charlotte.

I think there are a just as many natives as transplants who are negative. Some want Charlotte to return to the good ole days while the transplants want it to be a northern city.

Unfortunately there is a portion of people in any city who are just mad at life.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM

475 posts, read 751,143 times
Having read comments to many papers over the years in many areas I have found most people are motivated to write by anger or dissatisfaction. People are much less inclined to write when we they happy about something.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM

136 posts, read 304,445 times
There were some references in this thread about stagnant job growth in Charlotte..that may have been true in the immediate aftermath of the 2008 collapse but truth be told Charlotte is growing again, look at Ballantyne, three or four new skyscrapers going up, and a handful of companies announced they would be moving in soon. Now how many parts of the country can boast on that? Sure that doesn't mean opportunities for everybody, but hey, some growth is better than none.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:52 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoe View Post
There were some references in this thread about stagnant job growth in Charlotte..that may have been true in the immediate aftermath of the 2008 collapse but truth be told Charlotte is growing again, look at Ballantyne, three or four new skyscrapers going up, and a handful of companies announced they would be moving in soon. Now how many parts of the country can boast on that? Sure that doesn't mean opportunities for everybody, but hey, some growth is better than none.
Dude, Charlotte's unemployment rate is STILL higher than the national average (which is itself not great).

I am glad to see any movement in a positive direction, but Charlotte is still a tough place to get a job in many fields. Sure, some growth is great, and I hope it continues, but Charlotte has a long way to go in its recovery.

Not being negative, just keepin' it real for folks thinking of coming here so they'll understand what they are potentially facing.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM

23,562 posts, read 33,276,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I love Charlotte as a city. I would like nothing better than to put down roots here, but the economy has me discouraged and unfortunately I've reached a point where I can no longer stay here. I can either live in Charlotte but work a miserable dead-end job that has me trapped and barely financially affloat or move somewhere else and make a better life for myself.
Totally understand as a new grad. Gotta go where work, scratch that, GOOD work is.

Charlotte is a great city (I'm paying big bucks to experience it for myself next week) but not the place to be if you need a job.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 13,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay000027 View Post
Reading the comment section on the Charlotte Observer website implies to me that a lot of people in this city are so pessimistic about EVERYTHING!! There is always negativity regarding the development of the city and the future of Charlotte. As a native of NY, I see Charlotte moving forward with a bright future.
Probably because you are from NY

Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 AM

11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindlyskydiver View Post
Probably because you are from NY
LOL... that's probably true. It's a good thing though...

who likes party poopers? I sure don't.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,685,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay000027 View Post
Reading the comment section on the Charlotte Observer website implies to me that a lot of people in this city are so pessimistic about EVERYTHING!! There is always negativity regarding the development of the city and the future of Charlotte. As a native of NY, I see Charlotte moving forward with a bright future.
A lot of those commenters on the CO message boards are a bunch of morons who want to be negative on everything! A lot them long for the good 'ole days when Charlotte was a bumpkin town and only a certain group of people ran things! I don't even waste my time going on there b/c I don't need a bunch of negative people bringing me down, I'm too much of an optimist! I'm glad that you see the positive aspects of Charlotte and not let a bunch of people with too much time on their hands ruin it for you!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,921,000 times
"Look at Ballantyne, three or four new skyscrapers going up". Skyscrapers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or