U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,571,135 times

Advertisements

there are many AA mega churches in Charlotte. Well, at least what I would call a mega church

Friendship
University Park Baptist
University City
Victory Christian Center
New Birth
Mt Carmel (they partner with friendship on NYE)

That's what I think of off the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mega large African American churches are not very common in Charlotte.

Most mega churches have folks of all races worshiping together.

If you decide to try something smaller and more intimate look at Our Lady of Consolation Catholic Church.

I love the spirit there, and the gospel choir is heavenly

ourladyofconsolation - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
there are many AA mega churches in Charlotte. Well, at least what I would call a mega church

Friendship
University Park Baptist
University City
Victory Christian Center
New Birth
Mt Carmel (they partner with friendship on NYE)

That's what I think of off the top

Those are large churches, but not all are Baptist like our OP wants, neither are they all "mega" churches or all African American either.

By definition, there are really only a handful of Baptist "mega" churches in Charlotte - Calvary Church, Hickory Grove Baptist, Friendship Missionary Baptist, Northside Baptist and University Park Baptist

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-03-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,571,135 times
What is the definition??

ETA: Google def is more than 2k attending weekly. Friendship and University Park would fit. I think Mt Carmel would as well. I thin there is one called Mt Sinai that might fit that definition also.

If the OP is looking for other protestant churches, there are several others that would be on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Those are large churches, but not all are Baptist like our OP wants, neither are they all "mega" churches.

By definition, there are really only a handful of Baptist "mega" churches in Charlotte - Calvary Church, Hickory Rd Baptist, Friendship Missionary Baptist and Northside Baptist.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
What is the definition??
Churches where a minimum of 2000 people worship together in one place every Sunday.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM

11,117 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Allow me to clarify:
#1) I'm looking for an African American Baptist Church.
#2) It doesnt have to be a MEGA church.. lol. But I would like to find a LARGE baptist church.
The two biggest in Charlotte are University Park and Friendship. University Park gives more of a "Bapticostal" flavor (the pastor is a bishop), while Friendship is a bit more traditional and reserved. A third option would be St. Paul which is more traditional than University Park but less reserved than Friendship. You could also check out St. Luke which is similar to St. Paul in terms of worship style, but I think it's a little on the liberal side as far as certain social issues go, if that matters to you.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,997,649 times
Not to hijack the thread, but are a growing number of churches in Charlotte multiracial/diverse, especially charismatic and Pentecostal churches?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,919,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but are a growing number of churches in Charlotte multiracial/diverse, especially charismatic and Pentecostal churches?
yes

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The newer, non-denominational ones with a charismatic/neo-Pentecostal flair tend to be predominantly White with a noticeable minority presence, such as Elevation Church.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,997,649 times
Elevation Church is Southern Baptist right, though I have heard people say that the pastor seems to be quasi-charismatic and invites a lot of Pentecostal speakers to the church.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Elevation Church is Southern Baptist right, though I have heard people say that the pastor seems to be quasi-charismatic and invites a lot of Pentecostal speakers to the church.
Not sure if its affiliated with a mainline denomination, but the pastor definitely has charismatic/neo-Pentecostal leanings. I believe Bishop T.D. Jakes was there earlier this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte