Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,197 times

Advertisements

My daughter and a college classmate of hers both have summer internships in Charlotte at Bank of America. Both will have cars, but would prefer to be close enough to BOA that they could walk to work.

They have been looking on CraigsList for a 2BR furnished place to rent from June 1 to Aug. 15th. Not much luck there, so I am hoping some kind North Carolinians who frequent this board will be able to share specific suggestions for where they might find a safe, suitable place to rent for the summer.

They haven't visited Charlotte, so they are at a bit of a disadvantage trying to arrange this from out of state. Could anyone share names of apartment/condo buildings in the uptown area that would be close by BOA's offices?

With less than a month to go, they do need to find something soon! They will be gone a few weeks before the DNC comes to town, so whomever they rent fro could still rent their place out to a DNC visitor: a win-win, if only we could find a suitable place.

--Many thanks for your assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVA Mom View Post
My daughter and a college classmate of hers both have summer internships in Charlotte at Bank of America. Both will have cars, but would prefer to be close enough to BOA that they could walk to work.

They have been looking on CraigsList for a 2BR furnished place to rent from June 1 to Aug. 15th. Not much luck there, so I am hoping some kind North Carolinians who frequent this board will be able to share specific suggestions for where they might find a safe, suitable place to rent for the summer.

They haven't visited Charlotte, so they are at a bit of a disadvantage trying to arrange this from out of state. Could anyone share names of apartment/condo buildings in the uptown area that would be close by BOA's offices?

With less than a month to go, they do need to find something soon! They will be gone a few weeks before the DNC comes to town, so whomever they rent fro could still rent their place out to a DNC visitor: a win-win, if only we could find a suitable place.

--Many thanks for your assistance
Man, that's a tall order.

First of all, I don't know of any place you could rent for such a short time frame other than an extended stay, especially uptown, much less a furnished apt (this is not common in Charlotte at all).

You might luck up and find an individual condo owner on Craig's List who might do a short-term rental.

Another idea would be a room to rent situation. But getting two rooms in the same house might be hard.

Other interns I've heard of that are coming to town try to rent dorm rooms at local colleges like Queens College.

Doesn't BofA, or whoever is in charge of the intern program, offer any housing advice or help?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM

I did think of one more idea...

Go on the VRBO website and look for condo's there. Many times an owner of a vacation home will consider a short-term lease like your daughter needs.

Just find a few that interest you and contact the owner to see if they are open to this kind of arrangement. Sometimes owners will cut their weekly fees for someone they know will occupy their home for a few months

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,291 times
Default Just sent you private message

Hi, I just sent you a private message (PM) about an upper 2b/2b furnished condo available to sublet. However, it's not in Uptown within walking distance to BOA but located in Southpark, a very nice, SAFE, LOW-CRIME area in South Charlotte. Many people who work in Uptown commute from here by car or bus (approx 30 min), condo is directly on bus route that would take them to Uptown.

I'm only interested in subletting to nonsmokers with no pets. If that's the case & you'd like to find out more, please read my PM & then contact me with any questions, left my phone# for you.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Hi, I just sent you a private message (PM) about an upper 2b/2b furnished condo available to sublet. However, it's not in Uptown within walking distance to BOA but located in Southpark, a very nice, SAFE, LOW-CRIME area in South Charlotte. Many people who work in Uptown commute from here by car or bus (approx 30 min), condo is directly on bus route that would take them to Uptown.

I'm only interested in subletting to nonsmokers with no pets. If that's the case & you'd like to find out more, please read my PM & then contact me with any questions, left my phone# for you.
Woo hoo! Hope it works out Somebody be sure to let us know!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM

lovesmountains, it was so wonderful to connect with newbie09 here on the board and to learn of a situation that would have been a great solution for my daughter. I only wish I had discovered this place a week earlier because they signed a lease for an uptown condo sublet the day before we connected.

But it is indeed encouraging to see how warm and welcoming Charlotte residents are, and I think she'll have a double dose of that Southern hospitality over the summer!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVA Mom View Post
lovesmountains, it was so wonderful to connect with newbie09 here on the board and to learn of a situation that would have been a great solution for my daughter. I only wish I had discovered this place a week earlier because they signed a lease for an uptown condo sublet the day before we connected.

But it is indeed encouraging to see how warm and welcoming Charlotte residents are, and I think she'll have a double dose of that Southern hospitality over the summer!
Helping folks is why I hang out here

Did your daughter find something?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM

She did, thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,401 times
Hi! My daughter just got an internship this week in Charlotte. She's a student at WASHU and interning with the DNCC. Can you share any options you guys decided not to go with? We're in worst shape given this late date.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: