Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I had to get a sign today. I have never had so many people ringing my doorbell trying to sell me stuff. The next person that wakes me up trying to sell something might get greeted with a shotgun.
Where did you get your sign? I NEED one too! Figured Home Depot might have one and I need to be there today, but don't know if they're "nice' Or not. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 AM

245 posts, read 267,249 times
Where I work from at home I can see the front door and everything . When they ring the bell I just continue what I am doing. I try being nice but when I say no and they keep asking questions and trying to talk me into it they seem to get angry. So in order to stop them from getting hurt I just ignore them all....

Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
I remember when one wanted to sell me a carpet machine. i said, "I have a vacuum cleaner, a hand vacuum, a Roomba, a full-size steam cleaner, a Little Green Clean Machine, and my next door neighbor owns a Service Master franchise and cleans my carpet for free. I don't need anything else to clean my carpets."

"Well, if I just do this demo for you I can earn points for a trip to Jamaica."

I LOVED THAT. A perfect stranger wants me to waste my time so SHE can go to Jamaica.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 AM

40 posts, read 148,788 times
We live somewhat in a secluded area in Union County(in Marvin). I cannot see any other houses from ours. We have a driveway security devise that alarms in the house when someone is coming out our driveway. Therefore, I get a warning way before the doorbell rings. I am amazed how many people go out of their way to solicit for business. I NEVER answer the door which I have heard that can be very dangerous because if it is a potential burglar they then assume no one is home. At the entrance of our driveway we have a "Private Drive" sign....this does not stop them. I guess I need to get a No Solicitors sign.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 AM

674 posts, read 803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
Where I work from at home I can see the front door and everything . When they ring the bell I just continue what I am doing. I try being nice but when I say no and they keep asking questions and trying to talk me into it they seem to get angry. So in order to stop them from getting hurt I just ignore them all....
I do the same thing. I just look out the window and carry on with my business here in my home office. Although I will tell you I have started calling the cops. Charlotte police don't like that but I know the surrounding towns cops don't mind it, actually encourage it so they can make sure solicitors are not casing neighborhoods. I called the cops on J. Witnesses on Friday, LOL!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 AM

125 posts, read 376,047 times
We had probably the same group of kids at our door early Spring. My husband answered and immediately went out on front doorstep and closed door behind him b/c a lot of times they want to see what you have inside. We too live in a remote part of Union County and he could tell from their appearance they were not ledgit. So he talked to them for about 30 minutes on how to get a job and stop "panhandling". I have to give him "Kudos" for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte