Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Are some of you ignoring my previous post about this being an issue at many clubs in Houston, TX:
I was talking about the episode at the Epicenter sounding familiar...

I know it isn't just a Charlotte thing....

Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I was talking about the episode at the Epicenter sounding familiar...

I know it isn't just a Charlotte thing....
Cool...just trying to keep the OP's assertion in perspective.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Cool...just trying to keep the OP's assertion in perspective.
I remember back in 08 hanging out with some people and one of the guys mentioned he was a bouncer at one of the clubs uptown. He had had one too many and started explaining how the club would use every trick in the book (sneakers, crowded, etc) to keep black people from getting in.

I am a clean cut, very white guy who wears button downs and khakis for the most part, so a lot of people mistake me for a conservative and for some reason feel comfortable expressing racist views toward me. You'd be amazed at what some people say when they think they're among like-minded people.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I am a clean cut, very white guy who wears button downs and khakis for the most part, so a lot of people mistake me for a conservative and for some reason feel comfortable expressing racist views toward me. You'd be amazed at what some people say when they think they're among like-minded people.
Care to rephrase any of that? I certainly hope you don't intend the implication of this post.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Care to rephrase any of that? I certainly hope you don't intend the implication of this post.
Essentially, for some reason conservative white people think I am one of them because I look like one of them. They are therefore more likely to express conservative views to me as a way of attempting to build rapport. Like the guy at the glasses shop in University who made snide remarks about Obama expecting me to nod in agreement or joke along.

Because of this, some conservatives who are also racist (racism being a subset of conservative ideology, though I am by no means calling all conservatives racists), feel comfortable expressing racists views to me because they assume I am also a racist.

The racist bouncer assumed I was also a racist, so therefore felt comfortable expressing his racism to me.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
(racism being a subset of conservative ideology...
Um. No.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Um. No.
Um. Yes. White racism toward blacks in the United States is quite correlated to political conservatism - particularly social conservatism. Hence why racists would view a clean cut, Southern white guy, as someone who shares their views.

Racism is a subset of conservatism just as communism is an offshoot of liberalism. All liberals aren't communists, just as all conservatives aren't racists. But almost all racists are conservatives just as all communists are liberals.

Libertarian, economic conservatives tend not to be racists so much.

But I digress since this is off topic.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Um. Yes. White racism toward blacks in the United States is quite correlated to political conservatism - particularly social conservatism. Hence why racists would view a clean cut, Southern white guy, as someone who shares their views.

Racism is a subset of conservatism just as communism is an offshoot of liberalism. All liberals aren't communists, just as all conservatives aren't racists. But almost all racists are conservatives just as all communists are liberals.

Libertarian, economic conservatives tend not to be racists so much.

But I digress since this is off topic.
I've encountered racists of all colors and political stripes. Racism is a much older movement than conservatism and exists independently thereof.

That's a pretty naive position to maintain, but I expect you'll experience differently and modify your position as you gain age and wisdom.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I've encountered racists of all colors and political stripes. Racism is a much older movement than conservatism and exists independently thereof.

That's a pretty naive position to maintain, but I expect you'll experience differently and modify your position as you gain age and wisdom.
Eh. I have a little more than 30 years of observations and 18 years of formal education to go on, so I doubt I'll be changing my opinion on this much. I was speaking of white-on-black racism, which is the dominant form of racism in America and has been associated with social conservatism for quite a while (note the huge shift of white southerners from the Democratic party to the Republican Party in the 1960s after the national Dems supported Civil Rights).

Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Are some of you ignoring my previous post about this being an issue at many clubs in Houston, TX:

Getting Past the Bouncer - Page 1 - News - Houston - Houston Press

It's not just Charlotte, this is a prevelant practice in many other cities/clubs in America. Yes, it can occur at certain clubs in DC, sorry UNCC engineer, but even in DC you can't peel off black skin. I lived in DC area for a long time and one of the most places racist experiences in my life happened while working in Northern, VA - and this person was from New Jersey.

DC is a black mecca, it's 3x the size of Charlotte so there will be larger and more accepting venues. But if you think it can't or won't happen at certain venues in DC, you're kidding yourself. I have no problem with this discussion, but isolating Charlotte or acting as if though this is just a Charlotte issue is narrow-minded.

Denver:

Colorado Civil Rights Division pursues discrimination complaint at downtown Denver nightclub - The Denver Post

Chicago:

Chicago Club Accused Of Racism Over Dress Code : NPR

....on and on and on....just do a little research - these are just a few "reported " incidents. This stuff goes on everywhere in america. A better title or thread for the OP: Is racial profiling an issue with some clubs in America? My response: Absolutely, what rock have you been hiding under?

BTW, went to Deltas in uptown for a meeting with a client last night. Nice atmosphere, live entertainment and what I called up-scale soul food (tad pricey). Hint: you'll never have to worry about this issue there (not sure about baggy pants but being black will not be the problem), not a late night club/lounge but restaurant with bar...definitely recommend and seems a cool spot to unwind during happy hour.
I just checked it online. Will check it out next time I am in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte