Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,851 times

Advertisements

I like the mandatory system in Australia even though a mandatory voting system seems kind of non democratic, but it also works because I believe candidates have to put budget to their campaigns and stick to it before voting occurs. I also like their proportional representation so that the actual wishes of people are more fairly represented. I also like that there you can rank candidates.

With that said, I am not sure that would work/be desirable in the US.

Last edited by happyhuman; 05-08-2012 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its not that serious... people move and forget to update their info all the time.
There is a big difference between 'forgetting' and not knowing the basics of how this country works, a really big difference.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
Why do any of you bother to vote for these fools? I rarely take time out of my day to go vote. I did in 2008 cause of the mess GWB created - this country couldn't survive another 4 yrs of a R president. Of course, I also voted for GWB in 2000, so a lot of good my vote did then too. Wish I had stayed home that day. Since I voted for him, I have a lot of blood on my hands just like some of you.

When they make voting on a saturday or make it a national holiday, then I may change my mind. In the year 2012, can't we vote on the internet?

There's a reason they make voting so complicated - they don't want educated, working people to vote.

It's a shame something like amendment 1 was on a may primary ballot. Gee, wonder if that's a coincidence now that reps are in charge of this state?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM

103 posts, read 144,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
you can download form here:
voter registration application

but it's too late for today.
Voter registration should be made easier, even automatic, but there is a certain political party who has a vested interest in low turnout.

:d

Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
I snagged that pic!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No they don't (makes me so furious) and that's part of the problem in America.
Really? They still teach it in Missouri high schools, its a required class to graduate. Is there a reason why they don't in North Carolina?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Really? They still teach it in Missouri high schools, its a required class to graduate. Is there a reason why they don't in North Carolina?
It's been marginalized so much that kids only get a bit of it in American History classes these days. Not sure why. My guess would be to make room for other classes in the day. I think it's a terrible mistake not to offer it as a class all by itself.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
It's been marginalized so much that kids only get a bit of it in American History classes these days. Not sure why. My guess would be to make room for other classes in the day. I think it's a terrible mistake not to offer it as a class all by itself.
Civics and Economics is still a required course according to the Standard Curriculum of the State of North Carolina. I believe it is taken in the 10th grade. Students can still and are encouraged to register to vote at their high schools during senior year.

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/curr...quirements.pdf

Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Civics and Economics is still a required course according to the Standard Curriculum of the State of North Carolina. I believe it is taken in the 10th grade. Students can still and are encouraged to register to vote at their high schools during senior year.

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/curr...quirements.pdf
Love that colorful chart!

All I know is kids are graduating without this class. I believe they are allowed to substitute other things for it.

One of my kids had "economics" alone with a slight nod during the course to "civics". Maybe some of the teachers here can chime in and tell us why?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Love that colorful chart!

All I know is kids are graduating without this class. I believe they are allowed to substitute other things for it.

One of my kids had "economics" alone with a slight nod during the course to "civics". Maybe some of the teachers here can chime in and tell us why?
Interesting. That said, my civics course at a decent public high school in Fayetteville in the mid-90s was pretty much of a joke. (For some reason, the football coaches all taught the social science and history courses). I imagine things aren't much different now.

But I think its really a matter of there being a lot more disillusioned parents who don't vote themselves and never pass on the duty to their kids. My folks voted in every election down to the local dogcatcher primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte