Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
you guys mention things that involve lots of money that we will never have,.
It wouldn't cost a lot sunny - a one time lawyer visit, maybe $200. at most and that could be less in a smaller town outside of Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Quote:
We have no sugar daddy you guys mention things that involve lots of money that we will never have, but who cares we are going to hell in your eyes by the way you voted--- so peace..

Get over it sunny. People here have tried to talk to you and tell you the truth. One poster offered you valid and true advice and you want to be a smart-mouth over it. Live with it, but don't you dare ever say no one tried to help or no one told you the truth...despite your feelings of us or how we feel about your lifestyle choices.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It wouldn't cost a lot sunny - a one time lawyer visit, maybe $200. at most and that could be less in a smaller town outside of Charlotte

Does not cost that much. One can do their own POA's/Wills and have it notarized.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times
Quote:
We have no sugar daddy you guys mention things that involve lots of money that we will never have, but who cares we are going to hell in your eyes by the way you voted--- so peace..
What sugar daddy
Getting your will and power of attorney does not require a sugar daddy...there is software for it (inexpensive) and you can notarize it for free at the banks...

Last edited by 28173; 05-09-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:
Sunny regardless of this bill you should have POA if your advancing in years, even if your not. legalzoom.com lets you do it yourself on the cheap and its reviewed by lawyers. My neighbor could make decisions for me if I choose to give him or her POA

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This is a ridiculous as the whole mantra of how this vote would effect domestic violence and how all of a sudden in would be legal to slap, hit, kick, beat on others. Good grief the drama of it all.....
I wonder how many against votes were lost on this. Probably not many but I felt like I was being treated like an idiot with those commercials. Bill James is the only one who bit.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Does not cost that much. One can do their own POA's/Wills and have it notarized.
A will doesn't even need to be notarized. Good idea though. I'm walking my way through software that costs about $30 and includes all the documents you could want.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM

123 posts, read 217,900 times
This was my first time voting in North Carolina and I was really impressed with the voting machines here. Waited till the last minute to look for my Registration Card and it listed the precient and where I was supposed to vote. The machines here were a great welcome compared to the "mail in your ballot" in Oregon and punch cards used in Arizona, ways in which I voted in the past. I grew up in blue collar Pittsburgh and have voted as soon as I became of age. I enjoy going to the polls to vote, and feel it's an honor, knowing people died so we could vote. As far as Amendment One, I think so many people have blinders on and do not realize times are a changing. We are no longer back in the 60's when it was illegal for blacks and whites to marry. I am in my mid-50's and feel I am an open-minded person. One thing we all have in common is we all want to be happy. When I moved to Portland, Oregon, which has a huge gay population, my Grandson's best friend in pre-school had two Mommies. I'll admit at first it was a little odd for me since I have never encountered this situation before. I learned the two Mommies were no different than anyone else and who would be so cruel to hurt their beautiful children because you do not agree with their relationship. The children would suffer, losing health insurance and other benefits because of their parents relationship. Also, my daughter worked with a woman who's partner had MS. They have been together for decades and I feel their union should be called a marriage so they could receive all the benefits everyone else gets. It only takes me to meet someone and learn their story that I find out about their lives. We all want happiness in our lives and they want the same and the same for their children. I don't understand with so many people in this state that go to church every Sunday and call themselves Christians, why they would judge someone else and not want gays and their families to have equal rights. Are these the same people that feel that blacks should give up their seats on the bus? One other thing I'd like to say about the voting process here that worries me. When I went to school, our schools were always closed on election day. I voted at Hawk Ridge Elementary and their were so many people in and out of the school and no one checking to see who was coming in for voting and who was there for school business. It was a huge safety RED FLAG to me. In these times with so many children being abducted, someone at that school should have been monitoring people as they entered the building. Children were everywhere in the halls and one could have easily been taken from the school. I couldn't help think of Kyron Horman in Portland, OR, who was taken from his school on the day the Science Fair took place. So many people there, no one saw what happened to him because they had so many visitors in the school for the Science Fair and too much confusion. This could have easily happened to one of the students at Hawk Ridge. I feel if they need the schools for election day, this should be a day off for students. Too many children are going missing and I could see how this could happen here. Sorry to go off the subject, but wanted to share my first election experience here and what I thought.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,180,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
This was my first time voting in North Carolina and I was really impressed with the voting machines here. Waited till the last minute to look for my Registration Card and it listed the precient and where I was supposed to vote. The machines here were a great welcome compared to the "mail in your ballot" in Oregon and punch cards used in Arizona, ways in which I voted in the past. I grew up in blue collar Pittsburgh and have voted as soon as I became of age. I enjoy going to the polls to vote, and feel it's an honor, knowing people died so we could vote. As far as Amendment One, I think so many people have blinders on and do not realize times are a changing. We are no longer back in the 60's when it was illegal for blacks and whites to marry. I am in my mid-50's and feel I am an open-minded person. One thing we all have in common is we all want to be happy. When I moved to Portland, Oregon, which has a huge gay population, my Grandson's best friend in pre-school had two Mommies. I'll admit at first it was a little odd for me since I have never encountered this situation before. I learned the two Mommies were no different than anyone else and who would be so cruel to hurt their beautiful children because you do not agree with their relationship. The children would suffer, losing health insurance and other benefits because of their parents relationship. Also, my daughter worked with a woman who's partner had MS. They have been together for decades and I feel their union should be called a marriage so they could receive all the benefits everyone else gets. It only takes me to meet someone and learn their story that I find out about their lives. We all want happiness in our lives and they want the same and the same for their children. I don't understand with so many people in this state that go to church every Sunday and call themselves Christians, why they would judge someone else and not want gays and their families to have equal rights. Are these the same people that feel that blacks should give up their seats on the bus? One other thing I'd like to say about the voting process here that worries me. When I went to school, our schools were always closed on election day. I voted at Hawk Ridge Elementary and their were so many people in and out of the school and no one checking to see who was coming in for voting and who was there for school business. It was a huge safety RED FLAG to me. In these times with so many children being abducted, someone at that school should have been monitoring people as they entered the building. Children were everywhere in the halls and one could have easily been taken from the school. I couldn't help think of Kyron Horman in Portland, OR, who was taken from his school on the day the Science Fair took place. So many people there, no one saw what happened to him because they had so many visitors in the school for the Science Fair and too much confusion. This could have easily happened to one of the students at Hawk Ridge. I feel if they need the schools for election day, this should be a day off for students. Too many children are going missing and I could see how this could happen here. Sorry to go off the subject, but wanted to share my first election experience here and what I thought.
You were lucky to get the new fangled machines. In Union County we have paper ballots.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Buncombe County is on the leading edge. When you sign in, they print a piece of paper which you carry to the next station where they take that piece of paper and then they give you a piece of paper you take very wobbly desk thing with a Bic pen with a big feather taped to it (so you don't steal it, I guess) and you color in the little ovals. At least I didn't have to dip my finger in a bottle of purple ink, they gave me a little "I voted" sticker instead.

Now we used to vote on machines that enforced the rules (if you could only vote for one candidate in a race, only one choice allowed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte