U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,815,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Both great suburbs for sure They won't offer the walkability of closer in neighborhoods, but are definitely nice places to call home!
She said she wanted to be safe when she walked. Waxhaw has miles of safe walks and shops, etc. The whole town is walkable. We love to drive and park and walk in Matthews too.

Our first home in Charlotte was on Perrin Place in Myers Park. Between Denver, Colorado and that neighborhood, I wore out the wheels on my daughters stroller so flat that the brake would no longer work.

I wouldn't drive down the street in some of the places you mentioned with a baby, let alone get out and walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
She said she wanted to be safe when she walked. Waxhaw has miles of safe walks and shops, etc. The whole town is walkable. We love to drive and park and walk in Matthews too.
My point is, "walkable" generally means you walk out your front door and can get to shops, restaurants, a library etc.

While you can walk for miles in very nice neighborhoods safely in Waxhaw and Matthews you have to drive to get to those areas with any retail (there are just so few homes right in the vicinity of the little downtowns)

Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM

36 posts, read 82,131 times
Quote:
I wouldn't drive down the street in some of the places you mentioned with a baby, let alone get out and walk.
NCN - which neighborhoods that were mentioned would you put in this category? I certainly would love a mother's perspective!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Our first home in Charlotte was on Perrin Place in Myers Park. Between Denver, Colorado and that neighborhood, I wore out the wheels on my daughters stroller so flat that the brake would no longer work.

You wouldn't "drive down the street" in Myers Park, Dilworth or Elizabeth?

Because those are the only places I've recommended and they are all very desirable neighborhoods.

I get that you prefer the suburbs - I love Matthews and Waxhaw too.

But she doesn't just want "safety", she wants to be able to walk to things to do. There would be more of that in a city neighborhood.

Regardless, I'm sure she feels that both our suggestions are well worth checking out

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,815,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confetticake View Post
NCN - which neighborhoods that were mentioned would you put in this category? I certainly would love a mother's perspective!
lovemountains may be more knowledgeable about this than I am. I thought she mentioned Dilworth. It seems to be on the news a lot although I have friends that live there. I went back and looked and I think I am wrong. Confetticake, my daughter that I used to stroll is 46 years old now. But lovemountains is wrong about there not being homes close to things in Waxhaw. I used to work in Waxhaw and many of the people I served walked from home to the place where I worked. I am retired now.

Waxhaw also has a community feel. I live in the next town East of Waxhaw but we don't have the sidewalks that Waxhaw does. I mean literally miles of sidewalks connecting downtown to the newer shopping centers. Downtown Waxhaw is an antique town and has many activities to attract tourist.

http://www.waxhaw.com/

I will get you a couple of websites for Union County and there are many small towns listed that you can click to. The most important thing is that your husband get on the side of Charlotte near whatever he needs to drive to. Charlotte traffic can be rough. We try to drive around, not through, Charlotte.

I consider Davidson a walkable town too if you don't have to drive into work. We looked at a house in Davidson years ago and I still think about it. I wonder how our life could have been different if we had moved there? It was one of those huge plantation older homes. My husband kept computers going and worked all over too. So I know exactly what you mean about being home alone. That is one of the reasons we moved to the country, so I could feel safe.

Our towns can be viewed on google search. Why not go in and pan around on Google. I didn't have that available when I was looking for a home years ago. It is so clear where I live that I can see our dogloo on the patio. Others might not know what it is, but I do. You just need to put in a road intersection or street and you can look the neighborhood over.

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Home.aspx This website used to have a link to all its towns. If it is still there, I didn't find it. But do click on links. There are links to information on schools, etc. that would be good for someone wanting to live in North Carolina.

Waxhaw
Weddington
Mineral Springs
Indian Trail
Lake Park
Unionville

Better yet, just go to the main City-Data and look up Union County, North Carolina and see all the towns on the map. The left side of Union County is more like Charlotte but in a lot of bad ways not like Charlotte.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Union_County-NC.html

Another suggestion, go to Wikipedia and look up Metrolina. That is Charlotte-Mecklenburg County and the eight counties around. Try to stay in North Mecklenburg or South and East of Charlotte but more South than East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrolina

Fort Mill, South Carolina is a cute town.

The next poster is right. Union County is very conservative, but we don't talk about politics a lot. I think we went about 74% for Amendment One. Lots of good churches and good schools. And we like horses and animals as well as golf, soccer, children's sports, etc.

www.queenscup.org/

Last edited by NCN; 05-10-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,131 times
The first thing I thought of was Plaza-Midwood. VERY walkable - I have several friends who have gone completely car-free after moving there, safe (not suburbia safe, but you can certainly walk freely, and play outside), dog-friendly, and lots and lots of families with young kids. Just go to Midwood Park any nice evening and you'll see lots of families, and any nice Saturday morning the streets are well-populated with dogs and strollers!

And - I don't know your politics, but Plaza-Midwood voted overwhelmingly AGAINST Amendment One. If you're used to living in a more liberal area, moving to Waxhaw or Matthews might be quite a bit of culture shock for you.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The first thing I thought of was Plaza-Midwood. VERY walkable - I have several friends who have gone completely car-free after moving there, safe (not suburbia safe, but you can certainly walk freely, and play outside), dog-friendly, and lots and lots of families with young kids. Just go to Midwood Park any nice evening and you'll see lots of families, and any nice Saturday morning the streets are well-populated with dogs and strollers!

And - I don't know your politics, but Plaza-Midwood voted overwhelmingly AGAINST Amendment One. If you're used to living in a more liberal area, moving to Waxhaw or Matthews might be quite a bit of culture shock for you.
Plaza Midwood is walkable, but sadly, not quite as safe, so I did not recommend it in this particular case based on what the OP is looking for

Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Plaza Midwood is walkable, but sadly, not quite as safe, so I did not recommend it in this particular case based on what the OP is looking for
There are hundreds of families, couples and singles that live there, that feel safe. I felt safe in that neighborhood. Still do, when I visit my friends and walk to the park and restaurants. I would hate for her to miss out on such a wonderful neighborhood because of differences in comfort levels.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 9,338,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
There are hundreds of families, couples and singles that live there, that feel safe. I felt safe in that neighborhood. Still do, when I visit my friends and walk to the park and restaurants. I would hate for her to miss out on such a wonderful neighborhood because of differences in comfort levels.
it's all about the OP's comfort level not ours... houses are a little expensive in PM.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM

186 posts, read 371,330 times
Confetti, you don't indicate if you expect your budget to cover a rental home or an apartment. I daresay that $1500 is not likely to score you a single family home in Dilworth or Myers Park, but perhaps an apartment. You might want to also check out Birkdale Village north of the city on the Cornelius/Huntersville line. While this is nothing like the old homes and huge willow oaks in the Dilworth area, it is more budget friendly, has adorable southern style homes with big front porches, and you can walk to many shops, restaurants and services in Birkdale. There are also a lot of young families there and it is extremely safe within very reasonable distance of many parks, greenways (including one the connects directly to the neighborhood) and other shops/services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte