Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Credit unions all the way. The only advantage to a big bank like that is out of town ATMs. But nowadays, who needs to use cash anyway?
I so agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,719,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Credit unions all the way. The only advantage to a big bank like that is out of town ATMs. But nowadays, who needs to use cash anyway?
For those that qualify, USAA acts like a credit union. I like being able to transfer money between accounts at other banks. As long as it's not more than a few hundred they go ahead and credit my account as if the transfer has happened when it hasn't yet.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:16 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
OK. I don't get paper statements BUT if it will make your day and you insist that you know more than me about how I bank ...... Yes Phil I get paper statements. Swear on a bible.

There, wasn't that easy?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,769,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
It's rare for me NOT to look at images. Who endorsed it? When? Where does this guy bank? WShy did he go to a check cashing service? What do mean I need a pay a late fee....you processed it 5 days ago! etc, etc.

What value is there with an account on line and not looking at it?
LOL...like a 25 cent Peep Show in Times Square NYC.
Is this fee something new? I've been banking with BOA for a long time and never been charged to look at check images online.

Also, I really like their online bill pay service it's very convenient and well thought out. That's the big reason I stick to them. It's too much bother to switch and I think they know that. I recently took out a mortgage with Suntrust and their bill pay service an online banking is not nearly as convenient or high quality as BOA.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
OK. I don't get paper statements BUT if it will make your day and you insist that you know more than me about how I bank ...... Yes Phil I get paper statements. Swear on a bible.

There, wasn't that easy?
Just saying, don't feel like you accomplished something if they offer you free online check images. Because I'm not a premier anything and I get it.

Quote:
Perhaps this will help with this mess: https://www3.bankofamerica.com/efulf...D.20120507.htm
Even this link doesn't really specify that the fee is for viewing them online.

And now four different people have all said that they don't pay anything to view checks online. Maybe you actually are wrong this time.

And if you are actually being charged for it and are a premier something or other, there is also this at the bottom of the link you posted:
Quote:
Platinum Privileges®
You automatically qualify for the Platinum Privileges program when you maintain a combined balance of $50,000 or more in deposit accounts with Bank of America and/or eligible investment balances with Merrill Edge®, and you have an active personal checking account with Bank of America.

Benefits include waiver of the Check Image Service Fee, Overdraft Protection Transfer Fee, Stop Payment Fee, Incoming Wire Transfer Fee, Bond Coupon Fee, and certain fees for check orders and cashier's checks.

Last edited by GoPhils; 05-12-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,827,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I bank with BOA and use online and have never heard of an "imaging fee."

From what I can tell New Bank of America $3 Check-Image Fee on Paper Statements - MyBankTracker.com it is only for getting check images on your paper statements, thus encouraging you to do it online.
THIS is exactly what it means. Why would anyone charge to look at it online???

Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
Quote:
Platinum Privileges®
You automatically qualify for the Platinum Privileges program when you maintain a combined balance of $50,000 or more in deposit accounts with Bank of America and/or eligible investment balances with Merrill Edge®, and you have an active personal checking account with Bank of America.

Benefits include waiver of the Check Image Service Fee, Overdraft Protection Transfer Fee, Stop Payment Fee, Incoming Wire Transfer Fee, Bond Coupon Fee, and certain fees for check orders and cashier's checks.
You get all these benefits at the Charlotte Metro Credit Union for a balance of $25. It's standard for all accounts.

I'm surprised that BofA apparently charges for an incoming bank wire. Charges related to bank wires are paid for by the sender and not the recipient. Maybe BofA is double dipping.

Complaining about BofA isn't going to change anything. If you don't like them, close your accounts and move your money elsewhere. A Credit Union is your best bet followed by a small regional non-TBTF bank. Anyone living, working, or going to school in Mecklenburg County can join the Charlotte Metro Credit Union.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,249,397 times
From https://www3.bankofamerica.com/efulf...0120507.htm#f2

Quote:
Check Image Service
Check Image Service Fee $3.00 each statement cycle
Fee to return images of your cancelled checks with your statement. Applies to each statement cycle during which we return one or more images of your checks.
Our Online Banking service allows you to view and print copies of checks that posted to your account within the last 12 months.
N/A

Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
That was what I talked about which was in the link that pink caddy posted which isn't really clear.

Do you think that's saying that they do charge to view them online or that they do not charge to view them online? To me that sounds like it's saying they do not charge to view them online, but I could see how in bank speak that may mean that they do.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM

49,954 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Pink, are you in Savannah?
BOA is masterful at getting you intrenched, so you find it difficult to extricate yourself. Not only are you treated like s**t, but you have been master manipulated too. It is NOT that difficult, however. You get the treatment you deserve.
If you are interested, I know a bank where you can easily get free checking, some with a lot of free services, and some basic, depending upon your balance and banking habits. Free ATMs anywhere, all the time. No hidden fees, and a human being always answers the phone and goes to any length to make sure you are happy. This bank has 8 billion in assets and can offer any and all services that BOA can, but without the hassle. We do, however, charge $35. for wire transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte