Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
What gets me is people think only Christians voted for the amendment - I bet there's an even higher percentage of Muslims that voted for it -if they vote at all. Their numbers may be smaller, but I wonder why they get the free pass? They are not outspoken about it, wonder why. Passive -aggressives for once?
And any Jewish person that reads (and believes) the Torah should have voted for it too.

But the people that still spew hate to those that voted for it are what bothers me.
Sure. But Jews and Muslims are such a tiny portion of the NC electorate (indeed the American electorate) that they aren't really relevant here. I didn't hear about the synagogues calling for Plus I imagine most non-Orthodox or conservative Jews are rather reluctant to legislate morality to the broader public. That hasn't worked out too well for them in the past.

The people who voted for it are full of hate or bigotry. Their position is not defensible under any legitimate political thought.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
rdub...here's something that you might find interesting:

a proclamation from Temple Israel:
AMENDMENT ONE PROCLAMATION OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF TEMPLE ISRAEL
4/7/12

WHEREAS THE TORAH TEACHES US THAT ALL HUMAN BEINGS ARE CREATED IN THE
IMAGE OF GOD;

AND WHEREAS THE TORAH ALSO TEACHES US TO LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AND THE
STRANGER;

AND WHEREAS THE TORAH TEACHES US TO PURSUE JUSTICE AND RIGHTEOUS BEHAVIOR;

AND WHEREAS RABBINIC LEGAL PRINCIPLES TEACH US NOT TO SUSPECT OR THEREFORE INVESTIGATE A PERSON’S SEXUAL ORIENTATION;

AND WHEREAS THE UNITED STATES WAS FOUNDED ON THE CONCEPT OF AN INDIVIDUAL’S HUMAN RIGHTS, SAID RIGHTS BEING PROTECTED BY THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES;

AND WHEREAS OUR FOUNDING FATHERS STIPULATED THAT “ALL MEN ARE ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS, AMONG WHICH ARE LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS”;

WE, THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF TEMPLE ISRAEL DO HEREBY RESOLVE THAT THE PROPOSED MARRIAGE AMENDMENT ON THE PRIMARY BALLOT MAY 8TH, IS PREJUDICIAL AND BIASED AGAINST THE LESBIAN, GAY, BI SEXUAL AND TRANSEXUAL COMMUNITY WHICH RESIDES IN NORTH CAROLINA.

WE FURTHER RESOLVE THAT THE PROPOSED AMENDMENT IS NEITHER NECESSARY NOR MORAL.

FINALLY, WE RESOLVE TO URGE OUR CONGREGATION, WITH ALL OTHERS OF GOOD MORAL CONSCIENCE, TO OPPOSE THE PASSAGE OF SAID AMENDMENT AND VOTE NO ON MAY 8TH.

Actually, I find this a bit convicting...many Christians would not fit into this thought process...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
What gets me is people think only Christians voted for the amendment - I bet there's an even higher percentage of Muslims that voted for it -if they vote at all. Their numbers may be smaller, but I wonder why they get the free pass? They are not outspoken about it, wonder why. Passive -aggressives for once?
And any Jewish person that reads (and believes) the Torah should have voted for it too.

But the people that still spew hate to those that voted for it are what bothers me.
Ya know when you assume stuff, what it says about you?

A Rabbi lives down the street from me, and he placed a sign at his driveway to vote AGAINST this amendment.

I'm pretty sure that he reads and believes the Torah.

---------------update-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

FINALLY, WE RESOLVE TO URGE OUR CONGREGATION, WITH ALL OTHERS OF GOOD MORAL CONSCIENCE, TO OPPOSE THE PASSAGE OF SAID AMENDMENT AND VOTE NO ON MAY 8TH.
Oh my, perhaps I should have spelled that ASSumed.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Sure. But Jews and Muslims are such a tiny portion of the NC electorate (indeed the American electorate) that they aren't really relevant here. I didn't hear about the synagogues calling for Plus I imagine most non-Orthodox or conservative Jews are rather reluctant to legislate morality to the broader public. That hasn't worked out too well for them in the past.

The people who voted for it are full of hate or bigotry. Their position is not defensible under any legitimate political thought.
No, they are not all bigots - the world is just not that black and white my friend.

And this constant name calling back and forth on this subject is getting everyone nowhere and just widening the gulf between the two points of view

Sure, it might make some of you feel better to malign and denigrate your fellow posters, but in the end don't you want to work to change their minds?

How do you ever expect to effect change with such vitriol?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, they are not all bigots - the world is just not that black and white my friend.

And this constant name calling back and forth on this subject is getting everyone nowhere and just widening the gulf between the two points of view
They are bigoted toward gays - there's no way around that. Sure, some of these folks are charitable, hospitable, and overall decent people. But that doesn't make them less bigoted in this case.

Many of my family members of the WWII generation who were generous and charitable people overall. Did things for the community. Sacrificed their time to help poor folks, etc. Many of them were still bigots in their views toward minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sure, it might make some of you feel better to malign and denigrate your fellow posters, but in the end don't you want to work to change their minds?

How do you ever expect to effect change with such vitriol?
There just is no logical defense of it. When one side thinks God is on their side, their opinion will not change unless maybe they wind up with a gay son or daughter and finally realize they're not different than you or I.

I think the way to effect change is the courts or to simply wait 20 years for a key demographic to die out. It's unfortunate, but it's how the civil rights movement had to proceed.

Last edited by coped; 05-11-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Maybe one of "them" can loan you a textbook on how to write a coherent post.
Durrrrrr!!!!!!!!
The Bible was'nt written in Texas.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Durrrrrr!!!!!!!!
The Bible was'nt written in Texas.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
I could not care less how some people want to live their lives, however I do care how it affects mine!
The watering down of morality in this country is leading to the dysfunctional crap we deal with daily!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM

67 posts, read 76,616 times
This Amendment was poorly 'marketed'. Everyone got hung up on the gay part, but no one (well, few people) actually considered the effects it had on non-gay couples.
I'm pretty sure that if people had just stepped away for a second and used a fraction of their grey matter concerning this issue the results would have been different.
Yes, I am personally pro-gay marriage, however, that's not why I voted against this amendment. I voted against it because it effects everyone - it would have effected the younger me who received health insurance (and other) benefits through my then boyfriend (now husband) due to Domestic Partner policies.

The capacity to think for oneself is seriously undervalued in this issue.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
You are talking about a majority of Americans and a majority of states in the union in that case, including California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte