U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 60,510 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I live in Matthews- a nice apartment which I keep very, very clean. At night, a zillion roaches crawl all over my deck, and every day I have been here do far I have found one inside my apartment. I'm from rural CT and have never seen a roach before, so I don't know what is bad or what to do. Questions:

Should my landlord be spraying for roaches on a regular basis? And if he is not, should I? Are they not supposed to be all over my deck like that?

If one is in my apartment, should I assume that there are millions of others just hiding out in here waiting to eat me alive while I sleep?

Should I buy roach traps? Spray? What? (I have cats..I don't know if that makes a difference...)

What do I do to keep them out of here???

Thanks!

dp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,496,177 times
Roaches are common in the south, especially in apartments and if you have woods nearby. However, the landlord should be spraying often enough to keep them in check but should give residents enough notice before doing so. Traps will help, but will not completely get rid of them.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,482,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtprincess2007 View Post
Hello Friends,

I live in Matthews- a nice apartment which I keep very, very clean. At night, a zillion roaches crawl all over my deck, and every day I have been here do far I have found one inside my apartment. I'm from rural CT and have never seen a roach before, so I don't know what is bad or what to do. Questions:

Should my landlord be spraying for roaches on a regular basis? And if he is not, should I? Are they not supposed to be all over my deck like that?

If one is in my apartment, should I assume that there are millions of others just hiding out in here waiting to eat me alive while I sleep?

Should I buy roach traps? Spray? What? (I have cats..I don't know if that makes a difference...)

Thanks!

dp
I am sooo sorry to hear about that problem. But I do have to say that the title of your thread made me absolutely smile. Thank you.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,205,728 times
I suspect what you have aren't your normal roaches but palmetto bugs. And there really is NOT a way to spray for them to get rid of them. Liz

Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 PM

693 posts, read 1,919,434 times
Default Cats & bugs

Hi there!

I'm from SoFl where we too have been known to see a palmetto bug or two. Sprays like Raid and Hot Shot and more dangerous than they are effective. Your landlord should be spraying outside a couple of times a year, and then if you still see them inside, you need an exterminator to spray inside (once usually does it --- especially if your unit had been empty for a long period of time). Make sure you tell them you have a cat, as many pesticides are dangerous to cats, but safe alternatives are available and effective

Don't use the traps, as cats have been known to bat them around like toys and then chew on them. Unfortunately, I know this because I was a feline only vet tech in SoFL. That being said... cats have been known to eat a bug sometimes... don't worry, its protein and fiber. :-)

Would you mind telling me what complex in Matthews... DH and I are looking around there too?

Last edited by Damemeow; 09-19-2007 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,094,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Hi there!

I'm from SoFl where we too have been known to see a palmetto bug or two. Sprays like Raid and Hot Shot and more dangerous than they are effective. Your landlord should be spraying outside a couple of times a year, and then if you still see them inside, you need an exterminator to spray inside (once usually does it --- specially if you unit had been empty for a long period of time). Make sure you tell them you have a cat, as many pesticides are dangerous to cats, but safe alternatives are available and effective

Don't use the traps, as cats have been known to bat them around like toys and then chew on them. Unfortunately, I know this because I was a feline only vet tech in SoFL. That being said... cats have been known to eat a bug sometimes... don't worry, its protein and fiber. :-)

Would you mind telling me what complex in Matthews... DH and I are looking around there too?
So you can scratch that one off the list.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 PM

19 posts, read 55,051 times
I just moved to an aparment complex in Matthews also. I was told yesterday that the bugs, like the ones you describe are coming up at night because I live near the pool. They are more or less considered,"water bugs". I don't care what they are considered, I still think they are gross. So today, I did get the traps, motels, whatever you want to call them.

I think I am seeing them more now, because my patio door is open and just the screen door in it's place. For whatever reason, I am being put on the list to be sprayed.

All around me is trees, so I expected some bugs, but not the size I am seeing.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,190,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtprincess2007 View Post
Hello Friends,

Thanks!

dp

Two words for you: Boric Acid

Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 AM

693 posts, read 1,919,434 times
Would someone please tell us the name of these apartments in Matthews?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 AM

3,091 posts, read 8,205,728 times
Quote:
So you can scratch that one off the list.
Even the cleanest apts have issues with these danged palmetto bugs.

When I lived in my condo in Greenville, SC AGES ago, I had a pest control contract. The guy who came out told me that it didn't matter how clean the apt was, they inhabited the area around it...the woods. And the best we could do was try and keep them out.

So unless the apt has no vegetation around it, you will just have to deal with keeping them out. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or