Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 AM

111 posts, read 321,957 times

Advertisements

Not just the downtown area's but the metro as a whole. By natural beauty I mean topography, trees, plants, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,334,520 times
From experience , I'd have to go with the Queen City , nothing to do with it being home , but the proximity of the metro to the mountains , several decent lakes , and 2 national forests to the west and east , respectively. I prefer to head east , but I think that particular one has gotten too much publicity , as it was too crowded this past weekend. I like to head out there on days like the one depicted in the profile picture.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,913 times
It is definitely a tough one to answer...

As a Charlotte native, I'd say there are still things about both cities in which you could argue either way. Raleigh has more rolling hills and a much different layout than Charlotte which can make it seem that it has more 'greenery' throughout the city along with its suburb areas but in terms of parks, recreational areas, lakes and ponds, I'd say Charlotte pulls ahead in this area.

I also believe Charlotte to be one of the cleanest cities in the Southeast which helps bring out that 'natural beauty'.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
Considering what the OP said, there isn't much difference. Charlotte is ~2 hours from the mountains, Raleigh is ~2 hours to the beach. In either case, both attractions are more than 1.5 hours away and have nothing to do with either city.

I would give a slight edge to Raleigh because its metro is right on the Atlantic Seaboard Fall Line. It means a dramatic change in the topography as one travels from East/West. West side is like Charlotte, East side is like the Beach. Columbia, SC has the same characteristic.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
Not just the downtown area's but the metro as a whole. By natural beauty I mean topography, trees, plants, ect.
No question, Charlotte wins hands down.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,272,813 times
Raleigh has William Umstead State Park just on the outskirts. Charlotte does not have something as nice as that. I've always wished there was more public lake access here.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM

57 posts, read 132,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryC View Post
It is definitely a tough one to answer...

As a Charlotte native, I'd say there are still things about both cities in which you could argue either way. Raleigh has more rolling hills and a much different layout than Charlotte which can make it seem that it has more 'greenery' throughout the city along with its suburb areas but in terms of parks, recreational areas, lakes and ponds, I'd say Charlotte pulls ahead in this area.

I also believe Charlotte to be one of the cleanest cities in the Southeast which helps bring out that 'natural beauty'.

I never noticed the rolling hills in Raleigh, but I have noticed them in Charlotte. Not sure i agree with this comment.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM

111 posts, read 321,957 times
^ Yeah I'd have to agree with you. Raleigh seems to be pretty flat. The Charlotte area has several mountains around, Crowders Mountain, Kings Mountain, Spencer Mountain, Morrow Mountain. Also Raleigh seems to be be mostly pine trees where as Charlotte seems to be more Hardwoods which I think adds a lot more beauty.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,431,579 times
Raleigh is flat in some areas and in others have nice rolling topography i.e. Ebenezer Church Road. Though to me, Charlotte is more rolling.

As to OP, natural beauty would go to Raleigh. I have never seen so much greenery until I came to Raleigh. I-40 is lined with trees pretty much the whole way. Umstead Park is massive, nothing in Charlotte like it. Neighboring Cary is loaded with park after park. A lot of shopping centers are hidden due to the trees/plants. I

Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,234,705 times
Actually, Greensboro and Winston-Salem are pur-d-er as it related to topography and hills. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill (the name itself, chapel on a hill) are rather hilly in areas, so is Charlotte.

Hands-down, although not in the competition, this award goes to the Triad area and the distinction between Raleigh/Charlotte is a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte