Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,162,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I disagree that Myers Park is on its way down. City living within its attendance zone continues to draw families - into Dilworth, Elizabeth and Myers Park. Other neighborhoods are well on their way to gentrification partially due to the attendance zone - like Collins Park, Sedgefield and even Cherry.
While high school overall performance is unfortunately moving down, fortunately the area is still one of the most desirable to live in.
First it might seem a bit of paradox of why an area can still prosper while schools are not doing as well, but there is a simple reason.
Reason is that many people with money (only way to live in that area) send their kids to private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,452 times
I have not examined the statistics for Myers Park High School but if they have gone down by a few points, it is most likely due to the fact that CMS pulled the IB magnet from the school. A large number of very bright students ( those not living in the MP zone) were forced to leave the school in 2010. Plenty of families with money send their kids to MP. Every year, many students go the Ivy League schools and the like. They also have the premier debate team in the state.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Many people are attracted to Myers Park IB program, but also since Myers Park has a higher percentage of minorities and free reduced lunch students, it pulls down the average test scores. Since students are tracked, this would not affect the top students who I believe are equal or better to the other schools. Myers Park HS does have Grier Heights in its attendance zone after all.
If they got rid of the minorities they would be perfect....

i kid..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If they got rid of the minorities they would be perfect....

i kid..
not funny...

Never blame the kids!
I blame some of the kids upbringing and lack of family support for education for some kids.
"It takes a village to raise a kid" - very much true, family & environment is what shapes people.
And this applies to some rich kids as well, when parents are too busy to make money while neglecting their offsprings.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,568,640 times
Not quite sure why some people feel the need to continually bash Myers Park High School.

I am a graduate of CMS (South Meck) and my child is a recent graduate of Myers Park. I can honestly say I would prefer Myers Park High over any other CMS high school - hands down - with one exception. If your student is an average student - I would choose a different school.

Myers Park is (IMO) likely the best (public) high school for the above average (and far above average) student.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 05-14-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
I disagree that Myers Park is on its way down. City living within its attendance zone continues to draw families - into Dilworth, Elizabeth and Myers Park. Other neighborhoods are well on their way to gentrification partially due to the attendance zone - like Collins Park, Sedgefield and even Cherry.
I don't think it's on it's way down either. It's a solid school and will remain so for the reasons you list.

I just think newcomers need to understand why it gets its high ranking and that it's not exactly #1 in the system

Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,314 times
There are always going to be people who want to actually live in Charlotte as opposed to the far flung surrounding counties. MPHS is a 60 year old high school that incorporates a lot of inner city neighborhoods. It's not a perfect school by any means. We actually live much, much closer to Providence but we're zoned for MP. So far we've been extremely pleased with the faculty, the administration, the traditions, the campus itself. Lots of history, diversity and character. A lot closer to what real life looks like.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 AM

39 posts, read 111,749 times
Myers Park, Providence, Ardrey Kell, South Meck are all great schools and aren't we lucky!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
not funny...

Never blame the kids!
I blame some of the kids upbringing and lack of family support for education for some kids.
"It takes a village to raise a kid" - very much true, family & environment is what shapes people.
And this applies to some rich kids as well, when parents are too busy to make money while neglecting their offsprings.
this would be an awesome post if you actually addressed the poster who blamed the kids...

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 05-15-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,314 times
Myers Park IB program still exists, although it's gotten smaller as East Meck's has grown. I'm not so sure it's wrong to blame an 18 for bad behavior/poor choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte