Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times

Advertisements

So anybody know what's up with the surge of violence in the Grier Heights neighborhood?

It's always been a "challenged" neighborhood (high poverty).

But while it's had its share of violence over the years, it's been relatively low violence for quite a while until very recently.

Just wondering if anyone knows what accounts for the latest problems?

Grier Heights residents ask for police patrols in wake of recent shootings | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,152,764 times
I know that the murdered man from Saturday may still be alive had he BEEN IN JAIL for the two ROBBERIES he had committed in the last couple years... Sad indictment of the legal process in Meck. Co...

Last edited by Native_Son; 05-14-2012 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I know that the murdered man from Saturday would still be alive had he BEEN IN JAIL for the two ROBBERIES he had committed in the last couple years... Sad indictment of the legal process in Meck. Co...
Yeah, but we've had this issue of "hug a thug" mentality for years now, so this isn't new.

I'm just wondering what the reason is for the uptick in violence now?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,152,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, but we've had this issue of "hug a thug" mentality for years now, so this isn't new.

I'm just wondering what the reason is for the uptick in violence now?
I don't know for sure, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it is related I gangs and retaliatory violence. Someone's mother gets insulted so someone gets beat up, someone gets beat up so someone gets shot at, someone gets shot at so someone gets murdered, someone gets murdered so more people get murdered... It's a tragic cycle of violence that begins with community standards. I don't see anyway to stop it until the community decides to do more self-policing. I pray that no more have to be killed to start that process.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,117,880 times
Quote:
I know that the murdered man from Saturday would still be alive had he BEEN IN JAIL for the two ROBBERIES he had committed in the last couple years... Sad indictment of the legal process in Meck. Co...
Justice is served. His momma says he was a good kid, but don't mommas always say that?

14 kids? At what point should it be legal to neuter someone?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it is related I gangs and retaliatory violence. Someone's mother gets insulted so someone gets beat up, someone gets beat up so someone gets shot at, someone gets shot at so someone gets murdered, someone gets murdered so more people get murdered... It's a tragic cycle of violence that begins with community standards. I don't see anyway to stop it until the community decides to do more self-policing. I pray that no more have to be killed to start that process.
The thing is, I used to work right there on the edge of Grier Heights back from around 2000-2006 and I never felt unsafe in the area. I wonder how safe or unsafe folks in the general area feel these days? Random violence can sometimes spill over, and stray bullets have no conscience.

I'm just wondering too if this is some kind of turf war in anticipation of the DNC coming to town?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM

335 posts, read 695,540 times
Here's what I'm reading between the lines of the news story: "Cousart was sitting in the car with another person shortly before the shooting...The other man left the car briefly (Other Man takes Cousart's money, with Cousart's permission, to purchase a large amount of dope on Cousart's behalf, which Cousart intends to resell) and, soon after, a vehicle drove up beside the car and a man jumped out, shooting Cousart." (Other Man reneges on deal, taking the cash with him.)

Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,792,296 times
I highly doubt this is a turf war in anticipation of the DNC. If it is, then the gangbangers are dumber than previously thought. It's warming up. There are a whole new crop of kids getting ready to graduate or get out of school for the summer. The younger kids want to one-up the previous generation and more violence is one way of doing it.

Another theory is that this is due in part to the hug-a-thug mentality in our courts and we have an emboldened criminal class who is not afraid of the consequences and will do as they please. This just happens to be what they want to do at this moment.

Goindownsouth, you're probably not far off in your "reading".

Additionally, a neighborhood can march until their feet bleed, but if they don't actually do something about the problem it will continue. The problem is also a group who are in denial because they have "good children" and they are afraid of retaliation. Snitches Get Stitches isn't just a catchy little phrase. Some people live by that kind of garbage.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM

15,363 posts, read 12,559,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I'm just wondering too if this is some kind of turf war in anticipation of the DNC coming to town?
I'm sorry loves but I had to put the hand on the head for this line.

Unless this is a scene out of Law and Order where this crime links back to the DNC in the last 10 minutes of the show I don't see a connection.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm sorry loves but I had to put the hand on the head for this line.

Unless this is a scene out of Law and Order where this crime links back to the DNC in the last 10 minutes of the show I don't see a connection.
Was just thinking outloud, trying to make sense of what could be going on.

The impending arrival of the DNC is bringing lots of unsavory action to the city. Generally, any big convention or event does. Don't be so naive as to think local gangs aren't already planning how to rip off the conventioneers.

And read the info here, looks like the sex trade is gearing up for business during the DNC:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...more-come.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte