Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 18,685 times

Advertisements

I was strongly considering building a new home in Winding Walk in Concord. It would be in the stonegate village- homes here range from $149-$168k base price. Our realtor showed us a home in Highland Creek on the cabarrus side a few weeks ago, and an offer was put on it while we were thiking it over. Well, it's back on the market. And, we are not sure what to do. Highland Creek has such great amenities and it is a more established communities which we like. Winding Walk is newer. It does have those electrical towers that I've never been a fan of, but I was getting over it. What are the pros/cons to these communities???? Please help....and quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2charlotte View Post
I was strongly considering building a new home in Winding Walk in Concord. It would be in the stonegate village- homes here range from $149-$168k base price. Our realtor showed us a home in Highland Creek on the cabarrus side a few weeks ago, and an offer was put on it while we were thiking it over. Well, it's back on the market. And, we are not sure what to do. Highland Creek has such great amenities and it is a more established communities which we like. Winding Walk is newer. It does have those electrical towers that I've never been a fan of, but I was getting over it. What are the pros/cons to these communities???? Please help....and quickly.
Winding Walk is very popular with the folks who live there and is considered a great family neighborhood.

Of course, so is Highland Creek.

Problem for me is those unsightly electrical lines and their EMF exposure. Some aren't worried about that kind of thing, but it I wouldn't be able to relax.

Not to mention, in this market you can get some great deals on existing homes, so I do not think building is the way to go.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM

186 posts, read 436,540 times
I've looked at a boatload of houses lately and its clear to me that buying a resale is a much better value than building, especially in a community that is established and has mature landscaping and a stable resident population. With building you are taking a much bigger risk on the outcome of the community and the possible loss of value. Do not forget also that living on a construction site is unpleasant at best and I think Highland Creek may have but a few lots in one little nook, versus full build out mode in Winding Walk. The other thing thats nice about HC is that a number of builders took lots here so you get a variety of styles and types of homes, compared to WW which is Shea only. I would suspect more loan financing drama with respect to new construction, the timing won't work out, the room for appraisal issues is substantial and all after you've gotten attached to the house.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM

107 posts, read 201,344 times
Highland Creek and Winding walk back up to each other. I think really it depends on the house you like. If you are bent a new home, and like the floor plans, go with WW. I almost bought a resale back there and really liked the area. If you are an avid golfer, and want to live in golf community, well HC is best. And Skybrook even better. We looked ad nauseum in both places. WE rented in HC for awhile. Not super impressed with HC (for what I was looking for). But they are both GREAT locations. If you go with a builder, sometimes they have deeper pockets than a resale. You can have them "throw in" certain things like blinds, appliances, etc. Let us know what/where you decide!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,054 times
HC pros - I live there, some good dels to be had
HC cons - lotta houses for sale, short sales/foreclosures

WW pros - next to where I live, newer
WW cons - not sure actually, I don't know anyone who lives there but it looks real nice when I drive by

Was that quick enough?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
We own a home in WW and our house was one of the first built so we've been around for awhile. I really do love the neighborhood and so do those that live in it. Very family friendly and if you enjoy hanging out and getting to know your neighbors this is the neighborhood for you. Our house is currently rented out (we moved out of state in 2010) and didn't expect to be back and I am looking forward to moving back in.

I've known people that have lived on the Cabarrus side of HC. They never said anything bad about it. For me it's to big of a neighborhood. I like the homey feel (and the Shea homes) in WW.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
HC - 4 pools, multiple tennis courts, golf, multiple parks. good school either county, multiple events like easter egg hunt, Christmas party, pool parties, races, summer camps, kiddie pool, walking trails, matures trees.

Like I said earlier, every house for sale in my village and the one adjacent has sold in the last 2 months.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 PM

57 posts, read 132,951 times
WW - I dont like the way the neighborhood is kinda split when you first enter off of Harris. You go to the right where the expensive houses are, it feels like a different neighborhood. Stay straight and it seems to flow better. We also hate the power lines, especially over the pool. I will never understand that one bit. Speaking of the pool, frankly, it sucks compared to Skybrook, HC, Northstone, etc. For a neighborhood that size, pool is dinky.

HC - I echo the same comment pros much more housing diversity with the different villages. Neighborhood seems more active than WW. Neighborhood schools is a plus. Downside is that it is large, and will have more foreclosure/short sales. I think HC is selling much better than WW right now.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM

12 posts, read 18,685 times
Thanks everyone for your input and comments. I think we've decided against WW. We do like HC and we are even considering Moss Creek too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: