U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
29 posts, read 51,111 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

What's up everybody? First of all, I would like to give a little background info. My wife and I just got married a month ago, she just graduated pharmacy school at the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy. She recently accepted a position at Gaston Memorial Hospital in Gastonia. We will be moving to the Charlotte/Gastonia area here in the next month or so. I have been looking at apartments and so forth in the area, where would be a good area to get an apartment and what not? I have been looking at some very nice apartments in the Charlotte area more towards the airport-is this a decent area? Any info would be appreciated. Feel free to message me or just post it up in this forum. Thank you in advance. I am also looking for a job. I currently work for the Iowa Department of Corrections as a correctional officer. Looking in the security/law enforcement field more particularly. But open to whatever. I love working hard, just don't like doing it for $8 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,507 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Reputation: 8151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
What's up everybody? First of all, I would like to give a little background info. My wife and I just got married a month ago, she just graduated pharmacy school at the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy. She recently accepted a position at Gaston Memorial Hospital in Gastonia. We will be moving to the Charlotte/Gastonia area here in the next month or so. I have been looking at apartments and so forth in the area, where would be a good area to get an apartment and what not? I have been looking at some very nice apartments in the Charlotte area more towards the airport-is this a decent area? Any info would be appreciated. Feel free to message me or just post it up in this forum. Thank you in advance. I am also looking for a job. I currently work for the Iowa Department of Corrections as a correctional officer. Looking in the security/law enforcement field more particularly. But open to whatever. I love working hard, just don't like doing it for $8 an hour.
Look in SE Gastonia for right now. There are tons of apartments.

As for your job situation, CMPD will be your best possibility. Also look at Kings Mountain, Shelby, & Lincolnton. If you are willing to be a sheriff's deputy, look at Mecklenburg, Gaston, Lincoln, & Cleveland. If you are interested in the State Police, there are multiple barracks in the area. Cleveland County's jail is in Shelby.

Gastoia PD is a revolving door because of low pay. They always seem to be looking, but it's a way to get in while you wait for an opening elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
29 posts, read 51,111 times
Reputation: 16
Thank you for your reply. Obviously I've been researching Charlotte/Gastonia crime statistics and what not. Gastonia seems quite a bit safer to live in than Charlotte. I also realize Gastonia pop. is like 70k compared to 731k of Charlotte. Is Gastonia a decent smaller city to live in? We are going to visit the area in two weeks to look at apartments and what not, but any specific areas to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 AM
 
2,801 posts, read 4,739,550 times
Reputation: 2501
I always thought Iowa's unemployment rate was a little lower than Charlotte's...Expect a lot of competition here among jobs, full and part time....A lot of people moved here during the boom years and there's just not enough jobs to go around for the amount of people who migrated here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,507 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Reputation: 8151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
Thank you for your reply. Obviously I've been researching Charlotte/Gastonia crime statistics and what not. Gastonia seems quite a bit safer to live in than Charlotte. I also realize Gastonia pop. is like 70k compared to 731k of Charlotte. Is Gastonia a decent smaller city to live in? We are going to visit the area in two weeks to look at apartments and what not, but any specific areas to look?
You're welcome. Just for the record, I live in Kings Mountain & I'm a transplant.

The majority of the crime in Gastonia is in the NW quadrant. The best schools are in the SE quadrant & that's where the majority of the apartments are. I'm female & have no fear of Gastonia, but I also don't go to bad areas.

Kings Mountain & Gastonia have not been actively annexing, because of the bad economy, so the population of both cities is deceptively small.

There are security firms in Charlotte, Gastonia, Kings Mountain (I'm pretty sure), & Shelby. Gastonia is a good central location until you find a job. Pull up a map. Look betweel Union Rd & Redbud & South of Garrison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
29 posts, read 51,111 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I always thought Iowa's unemployment rate was a little lower than Charlotte's...Expect a lot of competition here among jobs, full and part time....A lot of people moved here during the boom years and there's just not enough jobs to go around for the amount of people who migrated here.
Well that's not good to hear! I know the unemployment is like 5.3% around here, so our economy is doing great thanks to the ag boom! And I actually have a great job with the Iowa DOC, but my wifey got a job out there, so that's where I'll have to go. Hopefully I will find something soon. Might have to go back to school to get my degree next year unfortunately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
29 posts, read 51,111 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome. Just for the record, I live in Kings Mountain & I'm a transplant.

The majority of the crime in Gastonia is in the NW quadrant. The best schools are in the SE quadrant & that's where the majority of the apartments are. I'm female & have no fear of Gastonia, but I also don't go to bad areas.

Kings Mountain & Gastonia have not been actively annexing, because of the bad economy, so the population of both cities is deceptively small.

There are security firms in Charlotte, Gastonia, Kings Mountain (I'm pretty sure), & Shelby. Gastonia is a good central location until you find a job. Pull up a map. Look betweel Union Rd & Redbud & South of Garrison

We are actually thinking about the Lake Wylie area now. Looks like a pretty nice area to live. As for jobs, I don't care where I work, as long as it's within 30-45 mins max away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Reputation: 39670
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
Well that's not good to hear! I know the unemployment is like 5.3% around here, so our economy is doing great thanks to the ag boom! And I actually have a great job with the Iowa DOC, but my wifey got a job out there, so that's where I'll have to go. Hopefully I will find something soon. Might have to go back to school to get my degree next year unfortunately!
Not sure I'd leave an area of 5.3% unemployment to come to one closer to 10%!

southbound gave you good advice on where to look, but you might also like the area of Charlotte you mentioned above - that's the Steele Creek area.

Check into whether or not CMPD is taking applications for the police academy. If not, with your experience you could also look at other local police departments in places like Huntersville, Mint Hill, Pineville, Concord or Rock Hill, SC.

Though really, with your corrections experience your best bet might be the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
29 posts, read 51,111 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not sure I'd leave an area of 5.3% unemployment to come to one closer to 10%!

southbound gave you good advice on where to look, but you might also like the area of Charlotte you mentioned above - that's the Steele Creek area.

Check into whether or not CMPD is taking applications for the police academy. If not, with your experience you could also look at other local police departments in places like Huntersville, Mint Hill, Pineville, Concord or Rock Hill, SC.

Though really, your best bet might be the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department.
Unfortunatly Iowa is saturated pretty thick with Pharmacist. There are 3 pharmacy schools in iowa that put out 350 pharmacist a year. So pretty hard to find a job in Iowa as a pharmacist. She wanted a residency in a hospital, so she got one. So I'm just along for the ride. As for experience, I have been in the department of corrections for 5 years and only like 20 credits from having my AS in Criminal Justice. So hopefully I can find something in the law enforcement/security field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
20,507 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Reputation: 8151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
We are actually thinking about the Lake Wylie area now. Looks like a pretty nice area to live. As for jobs, I don't care where I work, as long as it's within 30-45 mins max away.
That's up to you, but that will be more limiting for your job search. Hickory might fall into your commute window from Gastonia, north on 321. Going south on 321, you're looking at Clover, SC & possibly Rock Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top