U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,279,727 times

Advertisements

Anyone care to explain to me why our state and local taxes are paying for resources to be used outside of our state? Chicago is pretty far outside of CMPD's jurisdiction.

Link: CMPD Officers prepare for protests at official start of NATO... | www.wsoctv.com

I think this is more of a conditioning operation for these officers to make them a bit tougher, less trusting of citizens and better armed for the DNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,591,481 times
That is one of the reasons they went, but every large city in this nation sent LEO's as well.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,877,928 times
Should be good training grounds for the DNC.

Side note: my home office over there (Chicago) is practically in lockdown for this conference.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Anyone care to explain to me why our state and local taxes are paying for resources to be used outside of our state? Chicago is pretty far outside of CMPD's jurisdiction.

Link: CMPD Officers prepare for protests at official start of NATO... | www.wsoctv.com

I think this is more of a conditioning operation for these officers to make them a bit tougher, less trusting of citizens and better armed for the DNC.
Sounds like extra training to be ready for the DNC.

If they didn't do things like this they could be a lot less prepared than they should be to host this event.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,946,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Anyone care to explain to me why our state and local taxes are paying for resources to be used outside of our state?
It's government out of control where any nonsensical premise put forth is accepted and then the taxpayers are bilked for it. It's the very reason there are such protests taking place in Chicago in the first place.

Really no different than the Mayor and the city council taking a taxpayer paid junket to London so they can "investigate" how to bring the Summer Olympics to Charlotte. Wonder how many of them rode in first class like they did when they went to China even though city rules prevent it?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM

822 posts, read 2,542,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's government out of control where any nonsensical premise put forth is accepted and then the taxpayers are bilked for it. It's the very reason there are such protests taking place in Chicago in the first place.

Really no different than the Mayor and the city council taking a taxpayer paid junket to London so they can "investigate" how to bring the Summer Olympics to Charlotte. Wonder how many of them rode in first class like they did when they went to China even though city rules prevent it?
None of them did.

Charlotte Chamber calls off 5-day London trip | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

And...

US Airways CEO apologizes to Chamber | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Course seeing is believing if they repay the money.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,946,361 times
Amazing they could justify the taxpayers paying for this trip for the incoming director of the library and someone on the school board. How in the world would these people have anything to do with bringing the Olympics to Charlotte?

Not one word from the "access journalists" at the Observer on any justification on this money being spent.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,094,493 times
Uptown might become a ghost town during the DNC.

Empty Chicago stores raise questions for Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 AM

820 posts, read 1,531,382 times
I talked with a CMPD friend who just returned from this deployment. It was about getting prepped for the DNC and Charlotte taxpayers did not pick up the tab. He said it was good training for the group that went and did observe that the protesters are serious people (which was not a compliment, I might add). People who work in downtown Charlotte might want to take a vacation during the DNC or work from home when possible. The invaders are coming. Maybe we can get that hate filled pastor from the Baptist Church in Maiden to protest the protesters. Now, I would pay to watch THAT video. :-)

Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,279,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
I talked with a CMPD friend who just returned from this deployment. It was about getting prepped for the DNC and Charlotte taxpayers did not pick up the tab. He said it was good training for the group that went and did observe that the protesters are serious people (which was not a compliment, I might add). People who work in downtown Charlotte might want to take a vacation during the DNC or work from home when possible. The invaders are coming. Maybe we can get that hate filled pastor from the Baptist Church in Maiden to protest the protesters. Now, I would pay to watch THAT video. :-)
And you're the reason our money is being wasted and our government is out of control. We didn't pick up the tab? So these cops volunteered or Chicago hired them? BS. Also, how does publicly expressing your opinion make you an "invader"? Just because you don't agree with what's being said, doesn't give you the right to set up "free speech zones" and crack peoples skulls.

A perfect example of this was what a cop at the crosswalk on 6th and College said to a woman who asked if CMPD was prepared for the DNC.

Woman: So are you guys prepared for the DNC?

Cop: Yeah I think we've got it.

Woman: Gonna get all them protesters? [haha]

Cop: Well, I'll give you my recommendation; 90% of the department voted Democrat. I'd plan on getting out of the city if you're not one and god forbid if you're a protester. [laughing] They're gonna have a pretty hard time!

Then the countdown started and I kept walking.

I hope one day the term "invaders" is used against you along with a swipe to the face with a black stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte