U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
Everyone now has me quite worried. I have to move to Charlotte for work, since I can't afford to live in LA anymore. I'm worried about this transition (especially my background in Portland, Minneapolis, and Chicago). Now, I'm in my mid-twenties, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for a boring life yet. I'm hoping the summer work is temporary, because I don't know what to do in Charlotte. I'm use to the cool coffee shops, farmers markets, people my age, and music shows every week, plus biking all the time, but mostly cool people my age to hang out with. I'm worried that Charlotte is too religious and old, and family oriented. Someone provide me hope.
Run while you can my man.... I couldn't imagine living here in my mid twenties.... This place is hopeless. It literally is the land that time forgot. I'm 33 and leaving for the Bay Area next week. I gave it a year and in less than two months I was already running into the same people at places. Small, backwards, too much god/nascar (same thing to these hicks) and AWFUL, no DREADFUL, food makes this a place to avoid at all cost..... TRUST ME ON THIS, live poor in LA and enjoy your 20's. Oh and as for your job, NO ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE cares about their career here. They all want to figure out how to get paid by doing the least amount of work. To the idiots backing this hole in the wall town (yes TOWN, it is not a city) I'm sure you're posting as you're "Working From Home" (otherwise known as "From Home")

You said, "Charlotte is too religious and old, and family oriented." Yeah, you nailed it.....

Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,121,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course it would "validate something"; then you'd have first-hand experience about living in Charlotte to actually know whether it was boring for you to live there or not. As it stands, you don't. And how do you know most people are lying on this board?
I know there lying because they get called out on it they lie just to validate there reasons for posting whatever they posted .. or they say they visited and yet can't give many specifics but yet want to argue. I was just on Charlotte 2 weeks ago and will be there at lest 2 times a month because my partner is there. I tell him all the time I can't live here because the social scene is horrible base on my social enviroment i have here in Atlanta. That's just my experience from when I moved there in 2006. From when I've came to visit the city. I must say its has step its game up a lot since then but still its just kinda dull a little far as the vibe but its far from boring.. Certain people are accustomed to a certain lifestyle and for some its hard to transition. People do this to Atlanta all the time u can't make everybody love places u love..I'm starting to realized that.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
Hi

I am relocating next month, and Charlotte is one of my top choices. I have heard many good things about the area, however, I have seen a lot of posts describing the area as boring and conservative. I was wondering how the city have nothing to do if it is around the same size as Seattle, Boston, Nashville etc. which I have been to and found plenty of things to do.

I am interested in unique restaurants, bike paths, city events, museums, zoos, bars, etc. I am originally from Chicago so I am looking for a unique downtown on which any given day I can find things to do. If anyone has any information on entertainment and the Charlotte downtown area I would appreciate it. Thanks!
If you have been to large cities and are bored, it is a personal problem. We have it all in Charlotte. Many newcomers get involved in the performing arts scene which is excellent and volunteers therefore getting to see many shows free. I have been to the museums in San Francisco and I find Charlotte's just as exciting if not more so. There are several museums and live theaters uptown along with dozens of really good restaurants and bars. It definately isn't boring at night. Then, there is the Music Factory close to downtown that constantly has concerts along with many cool bars.

Charlotte has numerous festivals uptown throughout the year including BBQ festivals, gay festival, ethnic festivals, race street (festival during the big race season), holiday festivals and parades, and various races both competitive and for charities.

There are excellent places for biking, hiking and running in the center city area as well as the surrounding towns and surburbs.

There is no major zoo in the city. However, there is a very nice, smaller zoo in Mooresville (just north of Charlotte). It is the Circle K. It is nor real large, but very unique that you drive through and get close ups of lliamas, buffalo, and numerous car friendly animals. Bring window cleaner. There are also giraffes, a hippo, and numerous other African creatures as well as a very nice petting zoo. A great outing place for adults and kids.

The larger zoo is in Asheboro which is about a 45 minute drive from Charlotte I believe. I haven't been there yet.

In summary, Charlotte is definately not a boring place. It would be boring only to a person that isn't outgoing and would be bored anyplace. Charlotte is not in the same size category as Boston and Seattle. Charlotte is about one half the size of Boston and quite a bit smaller than Seattle. It is about the size of Columbus, Ohio, Austin, Texas, Portland, Ore., or Indianapolis.

We may be on the conservative side, but if being an exceptionally clean, white collar city is bad, you might want to consider a dirtier, more crime ridden liberal place. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
Unique dining is going to be limited compared to other cities like Seattle, and there are only a couple of museums.

You may be painting a vague picture. We may not have as many restaurants as larger cities, but we certainly can't complain about having a shortage of any type restaurant.

There are more than a couple of museums: 1. Bechler (uptown) 2. Mint (uptown) 3. Mint (Randolph Rd.) 4. Museum of the New South (uptown) 5. African American Museum (uptown) 6. Charlotte Museum of History (Shamrock Rd.), 7. Discovery Place (uptown), 8. Reid's goldmine 9. Latta Plantation, 10. Airport aircraft museum 11. Brattonville (Movie "Patriot") 12. McGuire Nuclear Plant Museum (Lake Norman) and others I can't think of.

Charlotte the city proper has a growing nightlife and dining scene, but it gets pretty quiet after everyone leaves work though its not as quiet as it used to be -

Truth is, it gets pretty crazy most of the time after 10:00 pm. On weekends it can be wall to wall people.

there are some really good restaurants but its nothing like the endless options of the big cities.

The larger the city,the more options generally. Definately more than "some" really good restaurants. I am pretty sure I can name at least 100 that will stand up to a counterpart anywhere.

Most people select Charlotte for low cost of living, great mild weather, their job, and family orientation. If you want a big city experience, I'm afraid you'd not find this in Charlotte.
What would "big city experience" is missing, just curious? Many people move here because Charlotte is one of the fastest growing large cities in the U.S. We are the target for many foreign companies and non-union companies from other parts of the U.S. We have an outstanding international airport with more flights to the Carribean and Central America than any other airport besides NYC. There is professional football, basketball, soccer, and semi-pro baseball, hockey, and rugby in addition to NASCAR. Chalotte is in an ideal location for beach trips, mountain trips, or skiing in the winter (maybe not Aspen, but big enough to have fun). I can name several big cities that are lacking the experience we enjoy and I am not bias. I consider Charlotte to be a good mediocre city.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, it is up to individual preferences. So while one person might find having less of something perfectly fine, another person will find having less boring a lot faster then a city that offers more.

Big Aristotle hit it right on the head. I don't think you are getting his point.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,931,743 times
Circle K? You mean Lazy 5?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM

642 posts, read 990,103 times
We are moving to Charlotte in March next year (provided the USCIS grants our Green Cards). We are coming from England but lived in Switzerland for 35 years. We are both fully retired and have enough money to live quietly. We are coming because our son, now a US citizen wishes us to be near him. Of course, grandchildren may have influenced this just a tad .

I am looking forward to coming because there are some things that I am looking forward to in North Carolina. The weather is great 'cept for 3 months in the summer. The people are very laid back and pretty polite too. I love the southern speech accent and those I have met say they like mine. Sweet. Medical care is expensive but very good so I might just live a while longer. The whole house aircon and filtering will surely benefit my asthma too. The airport is okay too. I can get most places fairly easily with a minimum of hops.

The things I am not so keen on are that relatively Charlotte is a little bit insular for where I ahev come from in my life. I lived and worked with people from any number of nationalities and cultures. However this is within me and not Charlotte's fault but, I mention it since this post is obviously subjectve. Clearly there are fewer theatres and performances than some other places I've lived in. I can get used to this. There seems to be rather too many chain restaurants around town and therer is virtually no uptown shopping.

Quite frankly I am looking forward to retirement in Charlotte. The title of this thread is "Is Charlotte Boring?". Well, I thunk that boredom, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have been bored stiff in London, New York and Geneva, Switzerland so, I fully expect that, on some days, I shall be bored in Charlotte. However, most of the time I shall be able to amuse myself and Mrs. krokus (not her real name ).

Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,375,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosfam View Post
Run while you can my man.... I couldn't imagine living here in my mid twenties.... This place is hopeless. It literally is the land that time forgot. I'm 33 and leaving for the Bay Area next week. I gave it a year and in less than two months I was already running into the same people at places. Small, backwards, too much god/nascar (same thing to these hicks) and AWFUL, no DREADFUL, food makes this a place to avoid at all cost..... TRUST ME ON THIS, live poor in LA and enjoy your 20's. Oh and as for your job, NO ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE cares about their career here. They all want to figure out how to get paid by doing the least amount of work. To the idiots backing this hole in the wall town (yes TOWN, it is not a city) I'm sure you're posting as you're "Working From Home" (otherwise known as "From Home")

You said, "Charlotte is too religious and old, and family oriented." Yeah, you nailed it.....

LOL this is classic.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Circle K? You mean Lazy 5?

Yes, thanks for correcting me.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
We are moving to Charlotte in March next year (provided the USCIS grants our Green Cards). We are coming from England but lived in Switzerland for 35 years. We are both fully retired and have enough money to live quietly. We are coming because our son, now a US citizen wishes us to be near him. Of course, grandchildren may have influenced this just a tad .

I am looking forward to coming because there are some things that I am looking forward to in North Carolina. The weather is great 'cept for 3 months in the summer. The people are very laid back and pretty polite too. I love the southern speech accent and those I have met say they like mine. Sweet. Medical care is expensive but very good so I might just live a while longer. The whole house aircon and filtering will surely benefit my asthma too. The airport is okay too. I can get most places fairly easily with a minimum of hops.

The things I am not so keen on are that relatively Charlotte is a little bit insular for where I ahev come from in my life. I lived and worked with people from any number of nationalities and cultures. However this is within me and not Charlotte's fault but, I mention it since this post is obviously subjectve. Clearly there are fewer theatres and performances than some other places I've lived in. I can get used to this. There seems to be rather too many chain restaurants around town and therer is virtually no uptown shopping.

Quite frankly I am looking forward to retirement in Charlotte. The title of this thread is "Is Charlotte Boring?". Well, I thunk that boredom, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have been bored stiff in London, New York and Geneva, Switzerland so, I fully expect that, on some days, I shall be bored in Charlotte. However, most of the time I shall be able to amuse myself and Mrs. krokus (not her real name ).
My friends/visitors from London left yesterday to go back home. They like it enough here to by a condo. They love the restaurants, shopping, going to Hilton Head and coming back to Charlotte, the convenience of flying to and from London, etc. You have a good attitude about boring. One can be as bored as one wishes. You might want to go back to England in July and August and visit friends and relatives if it is too hot. But, my friends complain about nothing. They are too busy shopping and eating steak which is a bargin here to them. Chain restaurants can normally assure one of a descent meal and the chain only got larger because of good food and popularity. But, it is no big deal. There are thousands of non-chain restaurants. In some parts of town, you will practically see none. Good luck. My best to Mrs. K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or