U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,109,863 times

Advertisements

At least someone gets it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
and, here is the organization that I am on the board of directors of:

What If Everyone | Home

We just finished 7 Days of Service in the Charlotte community:"We gave out water, quarters, shoes, clothes; we painted, cleaned, constructed and organized; gave 24 units of blood; screened little teeth, read books and loved on kids; blessed the teachers and staff at North Meck, and Hopewell High, engaged in conversations of hope and encouragement with hundreds of people!" Also gave out $2,000.00 worth of gas cards at various locations in North Charlotte/Concord/Huntersville.

Beginning in January, I will also be on the board of directors for another non-profit:

Norsk Carolina Sons of Norway Lodge 3-679 in Charlotte, NC

Am I busy? Yes. Do I give back to the community? Yes. Do I sometimes find things to be somewhat stale? Yes. This is why I work hard at shaking things up.

I also work full time at one of the banks, occasionally help with ESL training and am currently litigating a faulty roof installation (mine).

Festivals do not have to always be identical. Our own Scanfest (here in Charlotte; well, Indian Trail) is different every year, with a focus on a different Scandinavian country, with different vendors and exhibits. When there is passion for the subject, the possibilities are endless. Even our What if Everyone serve events are different each time. Yes, we do much of the same things, but, for different non profits, in different areas of the city. Things do NOT have to be dull and repetitive just because the main subject is the same.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM

4,205 posts, read 3,569,580 times
Being bored is determine by the person not the city. If you are boring person, you can moved anywhere in the world and still be bored.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,111,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Being bored is determine by the person not the city. If you are boring person, you can moved anywhere in the world and still be bored.
Apparently, I am quite the boring person, then...

Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM

29,777 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Well said. - It's what I have been trying to say on this message board. But people in Charlotte get so defensive and they think that you are putting the city down, when you are just stating true facts about the city. Face it...Charlotte is a nice, but boring family oriented city that is not for everyone. PERIOD.Im sorry but Charlotte compared to what I've expereinced in Los Angeles, San Diego, is cultureless. Unless you have experienced festivals, jazz concerts in those places......there is just no comparison.
Apparently you don't quite understand that the statement "Charlotte is boring" is not a "true fact about the city;" it's an opinion.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM

29,777 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Don't get firey with me if people feel.Charlotte's cultural offerings are dull and watered down. You tried it!!!..My social status goes far Beyond a damn club and the lifestyle I live . I love how u just assumed and made a long paragraph about the life I live, how I prioritize my time and then u push off some stereotype on me about being at malls and club hoping. Thats far from any of my priorities. You don't know what I do in my spare time, who i am affilated with what my week consist of once I get off work to make such a post.

Certain cities just don't work for everyone its just that simple if it did everyone would be piled up in one city regardless of what they may have to offer or what career path they are on or everyone would enjoy every major city in the US.. So if someone says Charlotte is boring , tired, or late no need to lecturing how we should like City A and City B and how we can make it work. U CANT MAKE PEOPLE LOVE , LIKE AND ENJOY EVERY CITY IN USA JUST ISNT POSSIBLE. People like what they like

Some people are accustomed to a certain lifestyle that they enjoy and when they move to a city that doesn't offer a lifestyle similar or better its hard to make the transition. So please take several seats and think before u come after someone with such broad statements. You don't know me
The main thing your assessments about Charlotte have revolved around is socializing, and you also mentioned malls at one point. You've said nothing about cultural events, sports, festivals, recreation, civic and professional organizations, volunteer opportunities, etc., which leads me to believe you have a very narrow focus in terms of what you like in a city--which is your right. But I'm only working with what you gave me and it goes a long way in explaining exactly why you feel as you do.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,536,618 times
I love how people determine whether or not a city has or doesn't have "culture". Seriously, I would like for someone to tell me what they feel is "culture" and what isn't. Explain the characteristics that are needed of a city that makes it "cultural" or "culturally" superior to another.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,936,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Well said. - It's what I have been trying to say on this message board. But people in Charlotte get so defensive and they think that you are putting the city down, when you are just stating true facts about the city. Face it...Charlotte is a nice, but boring family oriented city that is not for everyone. PERIOD.Im sorry but Charlotte compared to what I've expereinced in Los Angeles, San Diego, is cultureless. Unless you have experienced festivals, jazz concerts in those places......there is just no comparison.
Charlotte has a lot of what both Los Angeles and San Diego have in the way of culture just on a smaller scale.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM

115 posts, read 182,981 times
Question Charlotte is Great!

No, Charlotte is not boring. My family moved to Waxhaw 2 months ago. We love it. It's beautiful, peaceful, safe, quiet, good schools, nice place to raise a family AND the best part is that Uptown Charlotte is less than 30 minutes away. Love the diversity of the city - culture, food, etc. If I didn't have school aged children, I'd love to live uptown (maybe when the nest is empty). I grew up in New York (city), lived in Atlanta for 10 years and lived in Pittsburgh for 11 years before relocating here two months ago. New York is too nuts now and $$, Atlanta too hot and too crowded, Pittsburgh freezing. Charlotte is just right.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,353,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I love how people determine whether or not a city has or doesn't have "culture". Seriously, I would like for someone to tell me what they feel is "culture" and what isn't. Explain the characteristics that are needed of a city that makes it "cultural" or "culturally" superior to another.
I city must have exactly what I want...

when I want it...

and how I want it....

without boring me...

for it to be culturally acceptable.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,109,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The main thing your assessments about Charlotte have revolved around is socializing, and you also mentioned malls at one point. You've said nothing about cultural events, sports, festivals, recreation, civic and professional organizations, volunteer opportunities, etc., which leads me to believe you have a very narrow focus in terms of what you like in a city--which is your right. But I'm only working with what you gave me and it goes a long way in explaining exactly why you feel as you do.
I was using stores and malls as an example of having options, not using that in a sense that's what I do on a everyday basis.. Social scene applies to all things u listed . Because I socialize and network at any event I'm at. By the way I do PR work for 3 different artist in Atlanta. So I'm invited to a lot of events here and meet all kinds of people because of my connection to these 3 artist. The life I live can't be offered in Charlotte it just can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or