U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,914,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I want to stress how crucial it is that you DO NOT MOVE HERE without having a job first. A 3 month window will not cut it in Charlotte as the job market here is extremely poor right now. It can take six months-1 year or more to find employment here.
Agreed.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 PM

697 posts, read 1,150,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
The other cities we are considering are: Atlanta, Tampa, Phoenix, Austin, Nashville, or Portland. I am looking to start my own business(which is a combination of event management, health education, and website design). The business includes setting up a lot of 5k races.
I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix, and I've never looked back (except for the CD Forum ). Not only is there a ton more to do, but it's a more diverse, libertarian population, a great foodie town, and you don't need to be affiliated with a church or synagogue to have a robust social life. On the other hand, the state government in AZ is the laughingstock of the nation. And desert life isn't for everyone.

If you don't have kids (Charlotte is a great family town), Phoenix has sooo much more to offer. As well it should -- it's the sixth largest city in the country. My opinion. YMMV.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 PM

368 posts, read 811,608 times
For the most part yes, Charlotte is boring. It's a conservative banking town that closes at 2am. The uptown area is microscopic compared to any real city, but there are suburbs and chain restaurants as far as the eye can see. People come here to settle down and have kids, not to have fun.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,367,303 times
Lol some people act like going to Wal Mart is all there is to do in Charlotte. It's no NYC or Chi-town, but some people should really get out more.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 PM

172 posts, read 229,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Lol some people act like going to Wal Mart is all there is to do in Charlotte. It's no NYC or Chi-town, but some people should really get out more.
I agree. Party spots and bar-hopping are easy to here.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM

368 posts, read 811,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
I agree. Party spots and bar-hopping are easy to here.
Not everyone wants to hang out at sports bars and pretentious clubs with bro-dogs.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 AM

983 posts, read 1,361,288 times
It's not San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Atlanta, Miami, LA, Seattle, Portland, San Antonio, Austin or even Denver...

but then again it's not Fargo or Wichita... it's fairly decent and fun if you make your homework.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Boring people are bored people

Personally, I am never bored, no matter where I am
Well, not everyone has the same kinds of base interests that can be intellectually stimulated by their very identical surroundings. Some of us require things that change, improve, and certainly must always be learning new things. If it were not for computers, I am not sure what I would do!

To the other poster that listed all those theaters...my bad. I was only referring to the only theater that actually shows professional shows not amateur ones. Most city people are used to rows of theaters that are showing different Broadway shows from which to choose.

To my friend Big: I have heard that a "good time" can be had at a minor league baseball park. My reference was not only to the fact that there is only minor league baseball here (which, in my opinion, is not worth going to) but the fact that it is a feeder team to the White Sox. No self-respecting Cubs fan would go within 10 feet of there. It just isn't done!

And, to the other friend that said that things to be done cost lots of $$$. Not at all. Most museums in the cities are free and offer unlimited perusing for those that are captivated by the exhibit. Viewing the architecture is also free and you can follow different architects and see their work; some of which is over 100 years old, by going to different neighbourhoods. You can go to the different neighbourhoods and experience a trip to another part of the world...for free. I really could go on & on.

But, others are correct, Charlotte is NOT Chicago. It doesn't need to be. However, if you are a city person that is looking to relocate and really does not have any idea of what a Southern city would be like; it is helpful to know that things that you may well have enjoyed in Chicago are not available here. I know that was a big part of my culture shock moving to the south. In a similar manner, when I am on the Chicago forum and I see someone that is moving there from somewhere down here, I give the warning that the things that they may have enjoyed and taken for granted down here will not be available there. That is what this forum is for, isn't it?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,367,303 times
Who is the weirdo who sent me an anonymous message about this subject? You have serious issues if you are that passionate about this subject. Get out more, for real. That is so awkward.

Last edited by PeytonC; 05-22-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Boring people are bored people

Personally, I am never bored, no matter where I am
Well said.

Since moving here a few years back, we have never found ourselves "bored". We have made a lot of friends and always have options for things to do in our free time. Sometimes we're a little lazy and want an occasional day of doing nothing, but we never feel like we have nothing to do.

Also, I like being located in between Asheville, Raleigh and Atlanta - all are places where we sometimes take weekend trips to do things in those places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or