U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM

196 posts, read 376,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix, and I've never looked back (except for the CD Forum ). Not only is there a ton more to do, but it's a more diverse, libertarian population, a great foodie town, and you don't need to be affiliated with a church or synagogue to have a robust social life. On the other hand, the state government in AZ is the laughingstock of the nation. And desert life isn't for everyone.
Having moved from Tucson/Phx to Charlotte (via Portland), I couldn't agree with you more. Although if certain issues were handled Federally like they should be (i.e. immigration), perhaps the State of AZ wouldn't have to take the wrath at the state level.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM

368 posts, read 813,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
I wasn't talking about "sports bars" and "bro-dogs". He spoke of nightlife and I was filling him in on it.
You can't mention Charlotte nightlife without those elements.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
To the other poster that listed all those theaters...my bad. I was only referring to the only theater that actually shows professional shows not amateur ones. Most city people are used to rows of theaters that are showing different Broadway shows from which to choose.
9 Touring Broadway shows this upcoming season... A sample with their location
Sister Act - Oven's Auditorium
Les Miserables - Belk Theater
Traces - Knight Theater

Yep, that is more than 1 theater.

Just to compare to others...
Atlanta - 1 theater - Fox Theater - 5 for 12/13 season
Orlando - 1 theater - Bob Carr Performing Arts - 6 for 12/13 season
Miami - 1 theater - Ziff Ballet Opera House - 7 for 12/13 season
Houston - 1 theater - Sarofin Hall - 6 for 12/13 season

The point is Charlotte has more to offer in that area than most cities. Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas of course are all going to offer more shows. But Charlotte is not nearly their size, let alone their main industry of entertainment.

Quote:
However, if you are a city person that is looking to relocate and really does not have any idea of what a Southern city would be like; it is helpful to know that things that you may well have enjoyed in Chicago are not available here.
And what are those things that aren't available here besides a MLB team and mass transit?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,126,319 times
[quote=ncopus99;24419903]9 Touring Broadway shows this upcoming season... A sample with their location
Sister Act - Oven's Auditorium
Les Miserables - Belk Theater
Traces - Knight Theater

Yep, that is more than 1 theater.

Just to compare to others...
Atlanta - 1 theater - Fox Theater - 5 for 12/13 season
Orlando - 1 theater - Bob Carr Performing Arts - 6 for 12/13 season
Miami - 1 theater - Ziff Ballet Opera House - 7 for 12/13 season
Houston - 1 theater - Sarofin Hall - 6 for 12/13 season

The point is Charlotte has more to offer in that area than most cities. Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas of course are all going to offer more shows. But Charlotte is not nearly their size, let alone their main industry of entertainment.

And what are those things that aren't available here besides a MLB team and mass transit?

Much more than there is the time to write!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM

172 posts, read 230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
You can't mention Charlotte nightlife without those elements.
That's more of Philly, Cleveland, Detroit nightlife, when I think of Charlotte nightlife, I think of more upscale places. A friend of mine vising from San Diego said that the Duke energy tower looks like a martini glass at night and that it was fitting for Charlotte.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM

51 posts, read 58,690 times
Charlotte is a great place to come and finds to do if you have kids. Being in my 30's, married and w/ no kids, I'd definitely recommend Austin over Charlotte. For decent shows, art, etc... be prepared for at least a 3 hour drive elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 AM

37 posts, read 81,647 times
Everyone now has me quite worried. I have to move to Charlotte for work, since I can't afford to live in LA anymore. I'm worried about this transition (especially my background in Portland, Minneapolis, and Chicago). Now, I'm in my mid-twenties, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for a boring life yet. I'm hoping the summer work is temporary, because I don't know what to do in Charlotte. I'm use to the cool coffee shops, farmers markets, people my age, and music shows every week, plus biking all the time, but mostly cool people my age to hang out with. I'm worried that Charlotte is too religious and old, and family oriented. Someone provide me hope.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,746,225 times
dgd717 - there are plenty of people like you describe. Hang out in the Noda or Plaza Midwood neighborhoods. There ARE cool coffee shops, farmers markets, music shows, etc in Charlotte. Maybe not as many as you are used to but how many do you really need to be happy? You can't attend more than one music show at a time anyway. There are also many bikers though more commonly for sport rather than commuting (though I do commute by bike)
By definition, being a bankers town, Charlotte is a bit boring and conformist. But within this city you can find a critical mass of people like you. I know I did. In fact, it's somewhat cool to see the same people at the events I go to (like foreign movies). I'm quite happy here. You just need to find your niche and one can be happy in any large city.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM

196 posts, read 376,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
Everyone now has me quite worried. I have to move to Charlotte for work, since I can't afford to live in LA anymore. I'm worried about this transition (especially my background in Portland, Minneapolis, and Chicago). Now, I'm in my mid-twenties, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for a boring life yet. I'm hoping the summer work is temporary, because I don't know what to do in Charlotte. I'm use to the cool coffee shops, farmers markets, people my age, and music shows every week, plus biking all the time, but mostly cool people my age to hang out with. I'm worried that Charlotte is too religious and old, and family oriented. Someone provide me hope.
Having moved to Charlotte from Portland, it has been quite a change. I am not originally from PDX, so it wasn't too much of a culture shock, but I can tell you the half of the "farmers markets" here are made of produce brought in from out of state and a real joke, I feel religion plays a major part of social interactions (though no one wants to acknowledge it) and is not progressive in any means compared to a city such as Portland (i.e. transportation, attitudes of acceptance- just take a look at the national news). It is more conservative than I anticipated. If you move, be sure to checkout NoDa and Plaza Midwood areas as others have suggested...

Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,928,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
Having moved to Charlotte from Portland, it has been quite a change. I am not originally from PDX, so it wasn't too much of a culture shock, but I can tell you the half of the "farmers markets" here are made of produce brought in from out of state and a real joke, I feel religion plays a major part of social interactions (though no one wants to acknowledge it) and is not progressive in any means compared to a city such as Portland (i.e. transportation, attitudes of acceptance- just take a look at the national news). It is more conservative than I anticipated. If you move, be sure to checkout NoDa and Plaza Midwood areas as others have suggested...
So is it safe to say that you see Charlotte as your forever home or are you just passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or