U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,153,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
Having moved to Charlotte from Portland, it has been quite a change. I am not originally from PDX, so it wasn't too much of a culture shock, but I can tell you the half of the "farmers markets" here are made of produce brought in from out of state and a real joke, I feel religion plays a major part of social interactions (though no one wants to acknowledge it) and is not progressive in any means compared to a city such as Portland (i.e. transportation, attitudes of acceptance- just take a look at the national news). It is more conservative than I anticipated. If you move, be sure to checkout NoDa and Plaza Midwood areas as others have suggested...
That's a mouthful of hyperbole and stereotype, but does have some truth...after all, this is the "bible belt". However, in defense of Charlotte's stuffy banker town persona (and too is sensationalized and exaggerated, I know people who commit sins everyday!), it has taken a progessive mass transit mindset. It's probably the only mid-size metro in the south with any form of light rail service. Comparing Portland's mass transit to Charlotte isn't a fair fight, Portland has a larger light rail service than Houston, a metro 2x it's size.

And lastly, not understanding why NC is receiving so much flack about supporting the amendment that asserts marriage only between a man/woman...I guess because it's the most recent state to do so, but it's no different than most of america:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-se..._United_States

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-24-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 6,682 times
Charlotte is a larger city with the comfort of a small town. It's a place where friends and family matter. It's not as conservative as it used to be due to transplants from all over the nation and that's a good thing. Boring is relative. Charlotte is GREEN and beautiful! Trees and flowers abound. Winter is almost non-existent so we have a very temperate climate.

When you find a group of friends to hang out with, the city suddenly gets to be a fun place to be! Those people aren't hard to find if you gravitate towards the people who share your interests. The people of Charlotte are very approachable. Almost any of us will talk to you if you want! We are not shy. We have groups that do almost anything you are interested in.

I was born here and have watched the city go through a metamorphosis over the past 25 years. It gets better every year because of people like you who move here.

Come to Charlotte. Add to our diverse culture and be a part of our future.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
I'm use to the cool coffee shops, farmers markets, people my age, and music shows every week, plus biking all the time, but mostly cool people my age to hang out with. I'm worried that Charlotte is too religious and old, and family oriented. Someone provide me hope.
You can attend music shows every week here too. Just go on pollstar and you will easily be able of finding someone to see each week.

Why go the farmer's markets when you can go straight to some of the farms...

Is it really family oriented? Yes, really is. Does that mean there are zero singles like yourself? No. The city is what you make of it.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 AM

11,794 posts, read 9,388,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
You can attend music shows every week here too. Just go on pollstar and you will easily be able of finding someone to see each week.

Is it really family oriented? Yes, really is. Does that mean there are zero singles like yourself? No. The city is what you make of it.

I know going to an actual farm makes my wife feel great about what she buys because it's going right to the source. However, she also has to pass these farms on her commute and I doubt she would go out to one just to get a few items.

some people like the feel of farmers markets... it gives them some kind of warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Cool coffee shops and swanky grocery stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's does something special to these people. Go to Walmart or Teeter then go to Trader Joes... people at Trader Joes are giddy when buying things.

I'm not being sarcastic either... people really do feel good about themselves when they shop at these places and see people who shop like they do.

You also tend to get more varieties at farmers markets.. why drive to 4 farms if you can go to a market with 10 farms selling things in the same place?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM

222 posts, read 458,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
You misunderstand the psychology of the sorts of people who go to farmer's markets. When I lived in DC, the farmer's markets were filled with urbane, yuppie types who enjoyed feeling like they were roughing it by going to a farmer's market that was completely within city limits. These people would find going to an actual farm to be a drag. They're looking for the experience of being able to shop for an assortment of goods that you'd find on farms all at one-stop, while surrounded by other yuppie types that they can chat up. Trust me, telling them that Charlotte gives them the opportunity to experience actual farms is akin to telling them NOT to move here.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,690,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmyword View Post
Charlotte is a larger city with the comfort of a small town. It's a place where friends and family matter. It's not as conservative as it used to be due to transplants from all over the nation and that's a good thing. Boring is relative. Charlotte is GREEN and beautiful! Trees and flowers abound. Winter is almost non-existent so we have a very temperate climate.

When you find a group of friends to hang out with, the city suddenly gets to be a fun place to be! Those people aren't hard to find if you gravitate towards the people who share your interests. The people of Charlotte are very approachable. Almost any of us will talk to you if you want! We are not shy. We have groups that do almost anything you are interested in.

I was born here and have watched the city go through a metamorphosis over the past 25 years. It gets better every year because of people like you who move here.

Come to Charlotte. Add to our diverse culture and be a part of our future.
So true! As a native NC'er myself, I grew up an hour north of Charlotte in Lexington and I remember what Charlotte was like back in the 80's and early 90's, and Charlotte today is a much different place today, for the better! I always try to keep things in perspective, Charlotte has come a long way from what it was when I grew up, however, I do know that Charlotte is still growing and hasn't arrived yet, so I can appreciate where Charlotte has come in a short period of time and I know that in time as Charlotte continues to grow and things are added to accomodate its growth, Charlotte will be an even better place with unlimited options to offer for everyone, young and old!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM

330 posts, read 934,170 times
Are people really knocking farmer's markets? We have some great ones in this area, especially when compared to other places in the country I have lived, and for those of us who do not have the time to visit actual farms, they are a nice alternative.

And I don't go for a "warm, fuzzy feeling", or to feel like I am "roughing it," or even (believe it or not) to chat with yuppies. I go because you can usually find a much better selection of produce at lower prices than you can find in any supermarket.

So, I'm cheap and like to cook.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM

37 posts, read 81,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
You misunderstand the psychology of the sorts of people who go to farmer's markets. When I lived in DC, the farmer's markets were filled with urbane, yuppie types who enjoyed feeling like they were roughing it by going to a farmer's market that was completely within city limits. These people would find going to an actual farm to be a drag. They're looking for the experience of being able to shop for an assortment of goods that you'd find on farms all at one-stop, while surrounded by other yuppie types that they can chat up. Trust me, telling them that Charlotte gives them the opportunity to experience actual farms is akin to telling them NOT to move here.

It's so true. Anywhere in America, people can drive up and buy produce. I remember that living in different areas and traveling across the country, I could just drive up to a farm and buy Squash or Peaches. Farmers Markets are much different. There's a lot of similar-minded people who shop at farmer's markets, plus you get a variety of so much food. It's actually more of a community experience. Ya, there's quite a bit of urbanese hipsters and yuppies that go to farmer's markets, but there's a lot of normal people and families that go too. Seeing everyone come together is quite a fun experience. It's much different than just driving to some random farms.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,745,455 times
I an still tryin to figure who you people are that call Charlote boring. I have lived in Atlanta,Orlando, Houston,and now Greensboring. Besides MLB there is NOTHING that you can do in these cities that you can't do in Charlotte. Come on man, Charlotte might have LESS of certain activities due to it being smaller, but those same activities are still here!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I an still tryin to figure who you people are that call Charlote boring. I have lived in Atlanta,Orlando, Houston,and now Greensboring. Besides MLB there is NOTHING that you can do in these cities that you can't do in Charlotte. Come on man, Charlotte might have LESS of certain activities due to it being smaller, but those same activities are still here!

Keyword Less.... You just answered why some people may find it boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or