Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM

407 posts, read 851,127 times

Advertisements

This statement "not enough things to do" drives me crazy. These people must have unlimited resources if they can afford to go out every evening to a different restaurant and a cultural event. Obviously empty nesters or DINK's. When our kids were younger, our social activity revolved around their school activities with a rare night out alone with my wife. With them all college grads, we find enough to do to keep us amused and not bored.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, US National White Water Center, Freedom Park, Little Sugar Creek Greenway, Carowinds, Museums, NorthLake/Southpark/Midtown/Ballantyne/Myers Park/NoDa/South End/Dilworth/Tega Cay/Concord/Huntersville, Races, Festivals, etc.

If you're an outdoorsy type of person, Charlotte is great. As far as clubs and Night Life, I couldn't tell you. That, to me, I find boring (besides once or twice a year). Depends on what you like to do. I don't know where people find the time to club so much.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Boring people are bored people

Personally, I am never bored, no matter where I am

Old 05-21-2012, 12:51 PM

40 posts, read 193,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
What other choices do you have?
The other cities we are considering are: Atlanta, Tampa, Phoenix, Austin, Nashville, or Portland. I am looking to start my own business(which is a combination of event management, health education, and website design). The business includes setting up a lot of 5k races.

I am 30 years old and will be moving with my gf. We have no kids. I am looking for a relatively cheap cost of livng as I will have 3 months of income to live off of until I find a job. Basically, I am looking for an area I can start a business and still find plenty of recreation options.

I was considering Charlotte because I thought it was one of the bigger Southern cities. I am looking for a bigger city with recreation(bike paths, etc), a nice dowtown area, mild weather, diverse, jobs, and I wouldn't mind somewhere with some type of country atmosphere(although not sure if I want it too overpowering as in Nasvhille, but we are huge fans of country music).

Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM

689 posts, read 1,655,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Boring people are bored people

Personally, I am never bored, no matter where I am

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say! {No surprise, though..huh Loves??}

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
The other cities we are considering are: Atlanta, Tampa, Phoenix, Austin, Nashville, or Portland. I am looking to start my own business(which is a combination of event management, health education, and website design). The business includes setting up a lot of 5k races.

I am 30 years old and will be moving with my gf. We have no kids. I am looking for a relatively cheap cost of livng as I will have 3 months of income to live off of until I find a job. Basically, I am looking for an area I can start a business and still find plenty of recreation options.

I was considering Charlotte because I thought it was one of the bigger Southern cities. I am looking for a bigger city with recreation(bike paths, etc), a nice dowtown area, mild weather, diverse, jobs, and I wouldn't mind somewhere with some type of country atmosphere(although not sure if I want it too overpowering as in Nasvhille, but we are huge fans of country music).

Sounds like Nashville or Austin! Neither Charlotte, Atlanta or Tampa have equivalent live country music scene (or live music in general). You'll have to do some research because all of the cities under consideration are extremely nice with corresponding pros and cons.

3 mos. of income is a SHORT window, best of luck. Currently, I think Austin has the better job market (of cities listed) and seems to address many of the criteria you desire in a new home.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,870,849 times
Nashville sounds like a good bet for what you want, although I'm not sure what options they have for outdoor recreation. Charlotte is just a fraction larger than Nashville, but the bar and music scene is stronger there. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times
Phoenix, Austin, or Nashville. They would be probably be a better bet as far as the social scene that you are looking for. I know that Phoenix has tons of biking/hiking trails and Austin is great as far as the nightlife scene goes.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM

172 posts, read 267,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoID81 View Post
Hi

I am relocating next month, and Charlotte is one of my top choices. I have heard many good things about the area, however, I have seen a lot of posts describing the area as boring and conservative. I was wondering how the city have nothing to do if it is around the same size as Seattle, Boston, Nashville etc. which I have been to and found plenty of things to do.

I am interested in unique restaurants, bike paths, city events, museums, zoos, bars, etc. I am originally from Chicago so I am looking for a unique downtown on which any given day I can find things to do. If anyone has any information on entertainment and the Charlotte downtown area I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Charlotte is a few notches down from Chicago, then again the only other two cities you can compare to Chicago are New York and LA. Conservative, yes, but not as much as the deep south or Nashville. Charlotte itself is not really conservative, that's more so the surrounding counties and the Lake Norman region.

Charlotte is better than Nashville, not quite up to par with Boston or Seattle. Its an up and coming city that hasn't matured yet and probably wont for another 25 yrs. Charlotte has plenty of unique restaurants, you have to know where to find them. There ares some downtown, and then some on central avenue, south blvd, montiford dr, moorehead st, and North Davidson St. Noda (north Davidson st), and Plaza-midwood (central ave and 7th st) has a lot of bars, unique eateries. art galaries, and funky shops. Bikes paths are here and there, but there are a lot of greenways that cut all over the city. Downtown is popular for young professionals and college students to go and party. There are neat pubs and there. There are some good museums downtown like the mint and bechler. A lot of people bash Charlotte, but I found leaps and bounds better than the other places I've lived (Dallas, Sacramento, Little Rock, Philadelphia).

Not much of a country music town, but I have noticed there is a big indie rock and hipster scene here.

Last edited by markymarq81; 05-21-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
I want to stress how crucial it is that you DO NOT MOVE HERE without having a job first. A 3 month window will not cut it in Charlotte as the job market here is extremely poor right now. It can take six months-1 year or more to find employment here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte