Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times

Advertisements

New movie theater for grown-ups at Arboretum | WCNC.com Charlotte

"Cinebarre, a new movie theater that bars children under three, serves restaurant quality food and drinks, and requires kids under 18 to be accompanied by a parent, is opening this summer at the Arboretum shopping center."

Sounds like a nice, slightly less-costly alternative to the Epicenter Theaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
They have the right to do whatever they want, and let whomever they want in, but I wouldn't want to give my money to a place who feels the bet way to create a happy environment is to ban the undesirables.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

162 posts, read 228,665 times
There is a cinebarre in Ashville. I had a great experience there, I am so glad Charlotte is getting one. They serve beer, wine, and mixed drinks which is a major plus for me : )

Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
We'll go! I'd even pay extra to make sure there were no crying babies.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Good. Keep the pants wetting, germ mongering, question asking miscreants at home.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Why is there a second thread about this place in three days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
They have the right to do whatever they want, and let whomever they want in, but I wouldn't want to give my money to a place who feels the bet way to create a happy environment is to ban the undesirables.
That's exactly where I want to spend my money, for exactly that reason. That is how all business should be.

As I said in the other thread I've been to on old version of this concept and IMHO it detracts from the movie experience. It's impossible to "suspend disbelief" with people walking around, clattering glasses, dishes and silverware, and talking while they eat and drink. To me it is every bit as distracting as crying babies and other "undesirables".

Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's exactly where I want to spend my money, for exactly that reason. That is how all business should be.

As I said in the other thread I've been to on old version of this concept and IMHO it detracts from the movie experience. It's impossible to "suspend disbelief" with people walking around, clattering glasses, dishes and silverware, and talking while they eat and drink. To me it is every bit as distracting as crying babies and other "undesirables".
You have to choose the right kind of movie to see in this environment, IMO. I wouldn't go see a first run.

In Arlington, VA they had a Cinema Drafthouse that showed older movies and it was great to go see them and have a decent meal with some brews.

I just can't stand seeing kids at movies like The Watchmen. I had to listen to a half an hour of "why did The Comedian make Silk Spectre cry, daddy?"

Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You have to choose the right kind of movie to see in this environment, IMO. I wouldn't go see a first run.

In Arlington, VA they had a Cinema Drafthouse that showed older movies and it was great to go see them and have a decent meal with some brews.

I just can't stand seeing kids at movies like The Watchmen. I had to listen to a half an hour of "why did The Comedian make Silk Spectre cry, daddy?"
I can appreciate that. A comedy doesn't really require the immersion that a drama does.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Just glad that this one won't be owned by red china...

Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
My first thought was the old Cinema & Drafthouse back in Arlington (which I believe is still open). Saw a fair number of movies there back when I still lived in the area.

Quote:
I've been to on old version of this concept and IMHO it detracts from the movie experience. It's impossible to "suspend disbelief" with people walking around, clattering glasses, dishes and silverware, and talking while they eat and drink. To me it is every bit as distracting as crying babies and other "undesirables".
Like the Cinema & Drafthouse mentioned above - I never had an issue with it. Usually people showed up an hour early, ate and, by the time the movie started, were simply having drinks, and the noise level was no more than people at a regular theater munching on popcorn and sipping sodas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Well, unfortunately, some of the "undesirables" have a tendency to ruin the experience for those of us who enjoy seeing a movie. We rarely go to the theater anymore - mainly because there are always some idiots yapping, or texting (or even talking) on their phones (those screens are very bright in a darkened theater) or otherwise causing a distraction. That said, I think its less about keeping out "undesirables" and more about a movie theater geared towards a more adult crowd - what is the problem with that? In fact, on those occasions where we do go to the movies, it is usually at the Epicenter - being able to have a beer or cocktail during a movie is nice, but the real plus is their policies (and slightly higher prices) keep it to more of a mature crowd, one where people generally demonstrate some manners when watching a movie. So this just gives people another option - having more options is always a good thing.

That said, why is 3 the cutoff age? The Senator Theater in Baltimore had a "no kids under 5" rule and it worked out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Obviously I missed the first one. I don't read the boards every second of every day. Cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte