Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree. I don't care what the subject was - you don't interact with students in this manner.

If someone were talking in this manner about Christianity, for example, (screaming that Jesus was the Savior and no one can question that) they would be fired.
I didn't write that but I agree.

It was a social studies class and the topic was the President. Not sure where you are going with the Christianity thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I didn't write that but I agree.

It was a social studies class and the topic was the President. Not sure where you are going with the Christianity thing...
Not hard to see where I was going. My point is . . . she will get away without getting fired b/c she was showing political bias. If she had been spewing bias about some subjects, such as Christianity, the school would be inundated with national protestors who would demand she be dismissed b/c she brought up Jesus (or creationism, for ex) in the classroom. You know, separation of church and state.

So it all depends on the subject as to how tolerant administrators (and the public) will be in regard to biased beliefs that a teacher may attempt to pass on to students.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
In another recent thread a forum member was insistant on saying how much more "intelligent, enlightened and tolerant" college educated people are.

I assume this teacher is a college graduate.........
And your point is...?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Not hard to see where I was going. My point is . . . she will get away without getting fired b/c she was showing political bias. If she had been spewing bias about some subjects, such as Christianity, the school would be inundated with national protestors who would demand she be dismissed b/c she brought up Jesus (or creationism, for ex) in the classroom. You know, separation of church and state.

So it all depends on the subject as to how tolerant administrators (and the public) will be in regard to biased beliefs that a teacher may attempt to pass on to students.
Well, if there is separation of church and state it makes sense she would be fired over something about church.

If she was smart (obviously she isn't) she would have came in the next day and did the exact same thing (in a more professional manor) in favor of Romney and said it was for critical thinking.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And your point is...?
I'm curious to know as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Well, if there is separation of church and state it makes sense she would be fired over something about church.

If she was smart (obviously she isn't) she would have came in the next day and did the exact same thing (in a more professional manor) in favor of Romney and said it was for critical thinking.
LOL. I like that.

But it would still not have addressed the fact that this gal should have better control over her personal opinions and biases spilling over in the classroom. And, her manner of interacting with the students . . . oh my.

What this teacher needs to ask herself is . . . why she is so vested in the topic (Obama) that she would go off the deep end over nothing.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
LOL. I like that.

But it would still not have addressed the fact that this gal should have better control over her personal opinions and biases spilling over in the classroom. And, her manner of interacting with the students . . . oh my.
I agree

Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 AM

I personally would not teach without recording each of my lectures. It is nearly impossible to get rid of crappy teachers. How better to prove the quality of a teacher's lectures and lesson plans than to have a complete record of his/her performance?

In addition, you can bet this would at least diminish antics by students in the classroom. It would sure make it very clear who was participating and who was interacting inappropriately.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Big Brother...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Big Brother...
Not Big Brother if the teacher is doing it him/herself!

When I am giving or attending a seminar or presentation, I always record it. Most students can record their lectures at university on their laptops now.

Nothing Big Brother about it. You are already in a public setting. I know when I taught, the principal could, at any time, be listening on the PA system. I can't imagine who would care.

I have been recording presentations I make for more than 20 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte