U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,932 times

Advertisements

Teacher yells at student because of a question he asked about Obama! - YouTube

It's National News Now.

Time to call in Sharpton, Jesse and Holder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM

2,832 posts, read 4,140,678 times
And people wonder why the kids today are so stupid.

This 'teacher' is a prime example.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
it's international news. I saw it on a newspaper site in the UK.

This is wrong on so many levels. That teacher should be removed as anyone with a kid in that classroom should be absolutely outraged.

Will be interesting to see if the local news will cover it, if they cover it at all. It's been out there a couple of days. Here is a summary I saw on another site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, how bad was the exchange? It got fairly heated, with the teacher shouting at times. The kerfuffle started after one student asked a question about the teacher’s “fact of the day” that said Romney was a bully back in high school. A student asked:

Didn’t Obama bully somebody, though?

The teacher started to get angry and said:

Not to my knowledge.

A couple of students relayed the story about Obama admitting that he bullied someone when he was younger. And that seemed to light the fuse on his teacher’s anger. A couple of the students exchanged words with the angry teacher.

“Stop! Stop! Because there’s no comparison. He’s running for president. Obama is the president.”

As one student attempted to argue for a fair, two-sided debate on the history of the candidates, he was shouted down and talked over by the teacher. She continued:

“You got to realize, this man is wanting to be what Obama is. There’s no comparison.”

Once again, the students pressed for equal discussion of the histories of both men, with one saying:

“If you’re gonna talk trash about one side, you gotta talk trash about the other.”

The teacher just seemed to dig her heels in deeper and press her defense of Obama telling the defiant teen:

“You will not disrespect the president of the United States in this classroom.”

Again the student persisted and invoked his First Amendment right.

“I’ll say what I want.”

The still unidentified teacher read the student her rules…her Obama rules.

“Not about him, you won’t!”

The back and forth continued and the most strident of the two students reminded his teacher that President Bush was constantly treated to negative statements about him while he was in office:

“Whenever Bush was president, everybody talked sh-t about him.”

To which the teacher responded:

“Because he was sh-tty.”

The social studies educator went on for a full minute with more ranting, saying that people were arrested for saying derogatory things about President Bush. The student correctly reminded the teacher that opinions are protected, but you cannot be arrested unless you threaten the president.

Our research has not turned up a single case of anyone in America being arrested for speaking ill of former President Bush. The local newspaper story also mentioned that their discussions about the story with a political science professor could not recall the arrests that the teacher was speaking about.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,995,021 times
That woman has no control over her classroom... Or her emotions.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,292,840 times
I only listened to a couple minutes, but I have a different take.

Why is there a cameraphone in use in class?

Why is there no structure to the conversation between the students and the teacher? It's just a group of people shouting back and forth and interrupting each other, with the students doing their own thing while the teacher attempts to teach.

On that note, why are so many students laughing and cutting up in class? Why is there no proper decorum?

Yes, the teacher shouldn't be yelling at the students, but it seems like they have no respect for her position.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I only listened to a couple minutes, but I have a different take.

Why is there a cameraphone in use in class?

Why is there no structure to the conversation between the students and the teacher? It's just a group of people shouting back and forth and interrupting each other, with the students doing their own thing while the teacher attempts to teach.

On that note, why are so many students laughing and cutting up in class? Why is there no proper decorum?

Yes, the teacher shouldn't be yelling at the students, but it seems like they have no respect for her position.
Are you blaming the students because they are not 'respecting' the teacher?
Obviously, this teacher does not demand respect and she has no control over this class.
You need to listed to the entire tape....

Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM

686 posts, read 1,415,365 times
Keep in mind you have NO prior knowledge. What was said before the tape? Who is the student? Was this during a class or after a class?

I am certain that if we heard of snippets of things that go on in your home or at your workplace we could draw similar conclusions that would not be accurate.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM

222 posts, read 457,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
Keep in mind you have NO prior knowledge. What was said before the tape? Who is the student? Was this during a class or after a class?

I am certain that if we heard of snippets of things that go on in your home or at your workplace we could draw similar conclusions that would not be accurate.
It's not "snippets," it's 9 uninterrupted minutes of conversation between the teacher and the students where the teacher bullies the students and tells them falsehoods about being able to be arrested for saying bad things about the president.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM

75 posts, read 141,875 times
Quote:

Exactly what I was going to say. We don't know the context of this situation. For all we know this might be a case of a smart-aleck student (I knew several in high school). Also it's interesting that the class seems to lack any sort of discipline. We need more information before coming to any conclusions about this teacher's character.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Have you listened to the tape? There are no 'snippets'. The tape is 9+ minutes long and it gives a pretty clear picture of the goings-on in that classroom. I am sure I 'accurately' understand what this 'teacher' is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte