Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM

153 posts, read 195,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
You're on the wrong side of independence! I've got several houses for sale in a more stable area with good price points, DM me if you want to look... It can't hurt anything! Less than 7 minutes from uptown, super close to the new development going in at Elizabeth, and plenty of cool neighbors (including single, attractive women who feel perfectly safe!!!)
I will take you up on that, however, since I'm looking to buy with cash, I am looking at super affordable (but move-in ready - don't mind SOME work) and I've been blown off by a few agents because I am going to be very price conscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM

28 posts, read 57,775 times
I’ll answer your question about the area you are considering with a parable. Some years ago we were at a picnic. The neighbor had a dog out in her yard who was just so tempting to a couple of little kids attending our picnic. The dog was barking and making quite a scene. The kids started toward the dog and their mother warned them saying “The dog doesn’t know you so you need to stay away.” The kids thought for a moment and started again toward the dog. Their father went to the little ones and warned, “It’s very hot out and the dog might not be feeling too well, he may not know that you want to be friends with him, understand?” The kids nodded and dad went back to the picnic. The children again began walking toward the dog. This time grandmother shouted at the kids, “Stay away from the dog, he bites!” The kids returned to our yard, end of story.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:33 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
I’ll answer your question about the area you are considering with a parable. Some years ago we were at a picnic. The neighbor had a dog out in her yard who was just so tempting to a couple of little kids attending our picnic. The dog was barking and making quite a scene. The kids started toward the dog and their mother warned them saying “The dog doesn’t know you so you need to stay away.” The kids thought for a moment and started again toward the dog. Their father went to the little ones and warned, “It’s very hot out and the dog might not be feeling too well, he may not know that you want to be friends with him, understand?” The kids nodded and dad went back to the picnic. The children again began walking toward the dog. This time grandmother shouted at the kids, “Stay away from the dog, he bites!” The kids returned to our yard, end of story.
I don't understand how this parable relates to the OP's question. Care to elucidate?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
I agree with you, but that is the only way I'll be able to look until we actually move. And I will stress beyond belief if I don't have my search at least substantially narrowed down by then. The problem with a broker is that I can't be "shown" the houses, other than online. Plus, I'm looking to buy with cash, so I'm looking at cheap houses. That's why I'm having a neighborhood issue..
Tiffany, send me addresses for your short list of homes (including this one on Wilora) that interest you and I'll be happy to see them for you at various times of the day and evening to give you my honest impression Let's talk on direct message...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I don't understand how this parable relates to the OP's question. Care to elucidate?
He/She doesn't need to. They are saying that I am ignoring warnings unless someone spells it out for me. I don't need parables, however. I would like it actually spelled out for me.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Tiffany, send me addresses for your short list of homes (including this one on Wilora) that interest you and I'll be happy to see them for you at various times of the day and evening to give you my honest impression Let's talk on direct message...
That is wonderful. And when I move to Charlotte, I will buy you lunch. ATM, I don't have much of a short list, but I will work on one. I will DM you also.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
I will take you up on that, however, since I'm looking to buy with cash, I am looking at super affordable (but move-in ready - don't mind SOME work) and I've been blown off by a few agents because I am going to be very price conscious.
DM sent...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
My direct advice is don't commit into buying a house you have doubts about it.
Why rush into it, just because you don't want to move twice?
Between 2 bad things I always select the one that hurts the least.

There are many nice houses that cannot be sold because of the area they are in...you don't want to be on that long list of unlucky owners. Remember the only 3 thigs that matter when buying/selling a house: location, location, location.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM

28 posts, read 57,775 times
North of East Lake is Hidden Valley, Although HV is suburban, it is a well known gang area and very dangerous. Problem is that drug dealers want to live in the suburbs too, but they still act like drug dealers. This area is in transition, but in the wrong direction. None of the benefits of being an urban pioneer and all of the drawbacks. I used to live just on the other side of 74 and a bit east of WT Harris. Wasn't too bad, but police activity was not unheard of. That was 6 years ago and I don't get up there much anymore. It isn't that the area is "ethnic." My neighborhood is ethnically and racially mixed, but it is wonderful. No drugs, no problems. Well that and we're all armed down here in Waxhaw.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
North of East Lake is Hidden Valley, Although HV is suburban, it is a well known gang area and very dangerous. Problem is that drug dealers want to live in the suburbs too, but they still act like drug dealers. This area is in transition, but in the wrong direction. None of the benefits of being an urban pioneer and all of the drawbacks. I used to live just on the other side of 74 and a bit east of WT Harris. Wasn't too bad, but police activity was not unheard of. That was 6 years ago and I don't get up there much anymore. It isn't that the area is "ethnic." My neighborhood is ethnically and racially mixed, but it is wonderful. No drugs, no problems. Well that and we're all armed down here in Waxhaw.
I'm from SE Georgia... on a farm. I'm armed . But, I do understand and thank you for being direct. No matter how armed I am, I wouldn't enjoy the need to look over my shoulder constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte