U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-23-2012, 03:48 PM

12,038 posts, read 10,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
50 minute drive?

It takes me 50 minutes from concord to Lincolnton. It always takes me 30 minutes from Lincolnton to Huntersville. I drive 5 miles over the speed limit. Mapquest has it clocked in at 36 minutes from downtown Lincolnton to Huntersville.
Are you doing that in rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM

881 posts, read 409,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you doing that in rush hour?

The only Rush hour I experience is Ma and Pa driving their 1980's pick up with "If heaven ain't like Dixie, I ain't goin" bumper stickers driving 10MPH under in Iron Station. I'm a Dept. Manager so my hours vary. Never really experienced backed up traffic.

The only annoying part I find that is sort of slower (not even slow, just busy) moving is near Blythes landing. After you cross the bridge into Lincoln county, the traffic disappears.

Unread 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The only Rush hour I experience is Ma and Pa driving their 1980's pick up with "If heaven ain't like Dixie, I ain't goin" bumper stickers driving 10MPH under in Iron Station. I'm a Dept. Manager so my hours vary. Never really experienced backed up traffic.

The only annoying part I find that is sort of slower (not even slow, just busy) moving is near Blythes landing. After you cross the bridge into Lincoln county, the traffic disappears.
Hopefully, Comfort Food will clarify. In my experence, traffic from Kings Mountain to Charlotte flows along fine, unless there's an accident, because 85 & 74 are both used. Other routes out here san be a mess, inexplicably.

Unread 05-23-2012, 11:39 PM

132 posts, read 72,830 times
Default Lincolnton

I live in the Denver area and have worked in Lincolnton, as a fellow "Northerner" here are a few tips. DO NOT MOVE TO LINCOLNTON, it is a depressed area that is still fighting the Civil War. As the other posters have said look into either Denver, Huntersville or Mooresville. If you look in Denver make sure to only look into homes zoned for North Lincoln Middle and North Lincoln HS. East Lincoln has more of a drug problem than the North Lincoln schools. The North Lincoln schools are academically better. You can also try to get on the waiting list for Lincoln Charter which is located in Denver on HWY 16. Huntersville and Mooresville are more populated and have more shopping, restaurants, etc. than Denver. There are many areas around the Lake such as Sherrills Ford, Davidson, Cornelius as well as the ones I mentioned that are all manageable in driving distance to Lincolnton. The schools around Lake Norman are very good because of parent involvement so don't worry about academics. I have been told by parents Catawba county has just changed the start date for the new school yr to August 3, so if you look in Catawba county investigate this. Honestly I would rent before buying, if I could go back in time I would have done that. By renting you can get a feel for the area and you will not be locked into an unsellable home. There are many great home deals right now around the Lake, owners are basically giving their homes away. For example, homes in Sailview in Denver that were over 500K in 2007 are now selling for under 400K. There are tons of options and tons of neighborhoods all around the Lake. Good Luck!

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM

32 posts, read 27,055 times
Thanks for all the great advice, I should be in the area within the next few weeks so a I will take a closer look at some of these towns I've never been to such as Denver and Mooresville. I've been to Huntersville, but I will be taking a closer look this time!

Thanks again everyone and please if you have any more suggestions don't hesitate to mention them. I'm not discriminating but I particularly like suggestions from other "yankees" who have made the move themselves. But I still would like to hear from everyone and anyone who can help!

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM

2,137 posts, read 2,273,084 times
I would take Denver over Huntersville for the commuting. Be sure you want to move into a 40+ minute daily drive to work before you pull the trigger. Gastonia offer a straight shot up 321 to Lincolnton. Even though it isn't Charlotte, maybe look at Hickory. It's not a bad place. You would be about an hour from Charlotte if you drive like most people around here and things will be cheaper, I'd imagine.

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM

359 posts, read 537,564 times
Quote:
Hopefully, Comfort Food will clarify. In my experence, traffic from Kings Mountain to Charlotte flows along fine, unless there's an accident, because 85 & 74 are both used. Other routes out here san be a mess, inexplicably.
Well, the route from Hville to Lincolnton is NC 73 and doesn't go that route.

Yes, you might make it from Hville to Lincolnton in close to 40 minutes in good traffic situations (and depending also on what part of Hville, we live close to downtown), but if you are going during school times, etc. it will take longer.

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:15 AM

If I did decide to live in Huntersville, is there a specific neighborhood which would allow the shortest commute to Lincolnton? Also, I would appreciate any recommendations for apartment complexes in the area with a budget of around $900-1200/month for 2 beds/2 baths.

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolliver12 View Post
If I did decide to live in Huntersville, is there a specific neighborhood which would allow the shortest commute to Lincolnton? Also, I would appreciate any recommendations for apartment complexes in the area with a budget of around $900-1200/month for 2 beds/2 baths.
Apartment? That negates my previous recommendations. Hands down SE Gastonia & look for an apartment zoned to W.A. Bess Elementary.

Unread 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Apartment? That negates my previous recommendations. Hands down SE Gastonia & look for an apartment zoned to W.A. Bess Elementary.
Well, I plan on renting for the first 6-12 months, so I can get a feel for the area before I buy a house. Since everyone has suggested Huntersville, I was hoping there would be some ideas for apartment complexes in the area which would give me a chance to feel it out before buying.

Is Gastonia comparable to Huntersville in regards to quality of life, safety, and schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte