Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,616,025 times

Advertisements

A lot of participants were from Charlotte.

A day of racing, chicken, family and friends | mountain, friends, kings - Over the Mountain Triathlon - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,823,047 times
That is a tough race from what I have heard. Congrats to all of the finishers!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
That is a tough race from what I have heard. Congrats to all of the finishers!
I understand that it's set up to olympic standards.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Olympic distance. Funny enough, it's the second shortest race distance. Sprint, Oly, Half-Iron, Iron distances. It's just a lot of elevation change on the bike that I have been told makes for a long morning. Then you have the 10K after all the riding.

I'm not sure that there is an Olympic standard. There may be but I don't know of it.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Olympic distance. Funny enough, it's the second shortest race distance. Sprint, Oly, Half-Iron, Iron distances. It's just a lot of elevation change on the bike that I have been told makes for a long morning. Then you have the 10K after all the riding.

I'm not sure that there is an Olympic standard. There may be but I don't know of it.
There are numerous articles in the Shelby Star, but this might help.

How long is a triathlon? Standard triathlon and Ironman distances | The Action Geek

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM

I know how long they are. I've done one. Was a lot of fun. Hard, but fun.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM

777 posts, read 2,564,891 times
It really is a great race. Kings Mountain knows how to actually come out and support a race (unlike most of Charlotte). This was my second year in a row doing the race and will be back next year. Very challenging (the "hills" on the bike are all in the second half and very challenging) and usually is full of seasoned veterans (not very beginner friendly).

The BBQ chicken legs and watermelon are almost worth the price of race on its own!

Oh and this is technically an "international" distance. An Olympic distance is 1500m/40k/10k. The bike on this course is 45k (28miles).

Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
It really is a great race. Kings Mountain knows how to actually come out and support a race (unlike most of Charlotte). This was my second year in a row doing the race and will be back next year. Very challenging (the "hills" on the bike are all in the second half and very challenging) and usually is full of seasoned veterans (not very beginner friendly).

The BBQ chicken legs and watermelon are almost worth the price of race on its own!

Oh and this is technically an "international" distance. An Olympic distance is 1500m/40k/10k. The bike on this course is 45k (28miles).
Thanks for adding this, & congratulations on doing the race. I've been busy & didn't notice. Also thanks for the correction.. All I knew was what was in the papers out here. It's a shame that the TV stations in Charlotte ignore it.

There are a number of races on the Gateway Trail, in spring & fall, if you're interested.

I don't recall, off the top of my head, who provided the food, but Big E's BBQ has the best bbq, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte