U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There goes freedom of religion. It won't be long until money given to churches will no longer be tax exempt because I don't know many preachers who will stand for being told what they can and cannot say in the pulpit. As far as I am concerned, just take the tax exempt away. According to statistics, the people of the church will give the same amount either way. And evil people will always try to harm the church. It has been that way since the beginning of time.

Maybe we should be thankful that we don't have to go hide in basements to have church. How long do you think it will take to make that happen?



Not something to be taken lightly nor even jesting about. I've been to China where religion is forbidden. However, the people are far more devoted to their faith.

In this country, the freedom of practicing your religion is a constitutionally protected right.

Bashing a president is NOT and really has no place in the pulpit. And, please do not cry "First Amendment". Because, again, that has NO place in the pulpit. There is a reason that there is a whole separate requirement of the separation of church & state. To prevent government from governing your religion & vice versa. That is the way that it should be.

 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,129,239 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
[/b]

Not something to be taken lightly nor even jesting about. I've been to China where religion is forbidden. However, the people are far more devoted to their faith.

In this country, the freedom of practicing your religion is a constitutionally protected right.

Bashing a president is NOT and really has no place in the pulpit. And, please do not cry "First Amendment". Because, again, that has NO place in the pulpit. There is a reason that there is a whole separate requirement of the separation of church & state. To prevent government from governing your religion & vice versa. That is the way that it should be.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As a Christian, two things I'd never want to see being preached about at my church is hate or something as corrupt as American politics.

I've seen one too many churches get involved in political issues, that's not their place.
 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,263,787 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
[/b]

Not something to be taken lightly nor even jesting about. I've been to China where religion is forbidden. However, the people are far more devoted to their faith.

In this country, the freedom of practicing your religion is a constitutionally protected right.

Bashing a president is NOT and really has no place in the pulpit. And, please do not cry "First Amendment". Because, again, that has NO place in the pulpit. There is a reason that there is a whole separate requirement of the separation of church & state. To prevent government from governing your religion & vice versa. That is the way that it should be.
Ah bashing a president is a constitutionally protected right. falls under that first amendment thingy. Guess you went to the same school as that teacher.
 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times
Reputation: 23216
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As a Christian, two things I'd never want to see being preached about at my church is hate or something as corrupt as American politics.

I've seen one too many churches get involved in political issues, that's not their place.
I don't go to church to discuss politics and I think you are right that politics is a dirty business. It shouldn't be but it is. I am wondering though if that group that reported the church in the mountains also reported the church in Charlotte that was standing on the street with banners saying to vote against amendment one. According to what you posted, that is clearly a violation of IRS rules. The news mentioned the church name the people were from and I think a pastor's name was mentioned.

I don't agree that a church should not be involved in any process they see fit for the good of their members, so I would never report a church for any reason, but if this group is going to report one church they need to report all the churches that got involved in the Amendment One process. I saw yes and no signs posted on church billboards throughout the state. I don't think it is right to be picking on just one church when everybody seemed to be doing it.

I went back and read that again. So it is against the law for a preacher to stand in the pulpit of his church and say anything about the president? Doesn't anyone else find this scary? That is a law that should never have been put on the books. Our freedoms are going one by one and we are asleep and letting it happen. I am outraged we have a law like that limiting what a person can say in the pulpit. A pastor should be able to direct his flock any time he sees them in danger and being led in a wrong direction. I heard one pastor tell his church there will come a day when what he can say in the pulpit will be limited. He must have found out about this IRS direction. At the time I had no idea what he was talking about.

FYI: This pastor also said there would come a day that pastors and preachers would be imprisoned and possibly killed for preaching what is in the Bible. WAKE UP AMERICA!

Are you really telling someone else how to vote by just telling them how you are planning to vote? I don't think so. Everything that is happening on this subject is to try and stop the truth from being told. Sometimes the truth is hard to take, but the truth will set you free.

Last edited by NCN; 05-27-2012 at 09:50 PM..
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8933
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't go to church to discuss politics and I think you are right that politics is a dirty business. It shouldn't be but it is. I am wondering though if that group that reported the church in the mountains also reported the church in Charlotte that was standing on the street with banners saying to vote against amendment one. According to what you posted, that is clearly a violation of IRS rules. The news mentioned the church name the people were from and I think a pastor's name was mentioned.

I don't agree that a church should not be involved in any process they see fit for the good of their members, so I would never report a church for any reason, but if this group is going to report one church they need to report all the churches that got involved in the Amendment One process. I saw yes and no signs posted on church billboards throughout the state. I don't think it is right to be picking on just one church when everybody seemed to be doing it.

I went back and read that again. So it is against the law for a preacher to stand in the pulpit of his church and say anything about the president? Doesn't anyone else find this scary? That is a law that should never have been put on the books. Our freedoms are going one by one and we are asleep and letting it happen. I am outraged we have a law like that limiting what a person can say in the pulpit. A pastor should be able to direct his flock any time he sees them in danger and being led in a wrong direction. I heard one pastor tell his church there will come a day when what he can say in the pulpit will be limited. He must have found out about this IRS direction. At the time I had no idea what he was talking about.

FYI: This pastor also said there would come a day that pastors and preachers would be imprisoned and possibly killed for preaching what is in the Bible. WAKE UP AMERICA!

Are you really telling someone else how to vote by just telling them how you are planning to vote? I don't think so. Everything that is happening on this subject is to try and stop the truth from being told. Sometimes the truth is hard to take, but the truth will set you free.
Good lord. You know full well the reason for the separation of church & state.

Churches are given tax exemption & in return they are to stay out of politics. If they become blatant, it ups their odds of being reported. Tax exemption is a priviledge, not a right. This is not new. I've posted about the evangelical kook who operated out of South Jersey & was syndicated on the radio. I can remember the IRS checking him out in the 60s & 70s.
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times
Reputation: 23216
I just hope they find who it was that set fire to this church over the weekend. That was something on the news tonight.
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,129,239 times
Reputation: 823
I do too, NCN. Eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, and trying to set fire to the church is horrible.

Southbound covered everything I was going to say in response to your post as far as the law is concerned. It's nothing new, and it's not an issue of "freedom of speech" churches are exempt under certain previsions and if they want to break those laws then they should have their priviledges revoked.
Trust me, for every one church in NC that was saying "vote against Amendment One" there were HUNDREDS saying "vote for it" or even worse, VOTE FOR MARRIAGE! Clearly an attempt to lead the blind or the ignorant (not saying people who voted for amendment one were either blind or ignorant, but the fact is I know of people who voted and thought that if they had voted against A1 gay marriage would have been legalized) And it's all wrong. Churches are supposed to be a place of worship and a place to be educated on whatever that religion believes in, NOT to try to sway political votes for special interest groups.
 
Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
 
469 posts, read 875,889 times
Reputation: 591
Lightbulb Yes-MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
. . . I am beginning to feel like I live in a communist country when the public starts telling a preacher what he can and cannot say and demonstrates against that pastor. If you don't like what he says, don't go to that church. Otherwise MYOB.
Someone should tell Pastor Worley and his ilk to mind their own business.
 
Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 AM
 
Location: South Charlotte
403 posts, read 763,953 times
Reputation: 295
I say why waste another moment of your time on this obviously backwoods preacher. When people rant and rave as he did....he is only making himself look uneducated...and just plan foolish. He knows nothing of love and compassion. He is trying to take the place of God.....and judging all men, and in this case women. How will God judge him?? It is not of our concern....it is between his God and himself!! I have this statement written above my computer....and it states: "Be careful how you live...you may be the only Bible (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) a person may ever read". Is this the kind of "Pastor" (?) you would want to follow?
 
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 AM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,129,239 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
I say why waste another moment of your time on this obviously backwoods preacher. When people rant and rave as he did....he is only making himself look uneducated...and just plan foolish. He knows nothing of love and compassion. He is trying to take the place of God.....and judging all men, and in this case women. How will God judge him?? It is not of our concern....it is between his God and himself!! I have this statement written above my computer....and it states: "Be careful how you live...you may be the only Bible (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) a person may ever read". Is this the kind of "Pastor" (?) you would want to follow?
Sylbeth, I agree with everything you say in theory. That is a great statement and part of me believes that the absolute best thing any of us could do is ignore this nutjob; and believe me I am very sincere in saying that everything you said makes perfect sense.

I think, for me, the reason why I can't let it go and probably why a lot of other people can't as well, especially the Christians who are opposed to it, is because we know that by saying things like this he does get a spotlight shown on him, and the media will cover it. And people who are either non-christian, or maybe are insecure in their religion, or unsure if God does hate them because of who they are, are pushed farther over that fence and away from God. I think it is important to show that as much hate as their is in the world, and sadly as much as people seem to misunderstand or misquote things from the Bible to try to show hatred towards others, that there is that much more love, tolerance and acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top