U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 AM

409 posts, read 988,377 times

Advertisements

There are boneless butts out there, but why avoid the bone?

If you cook the butt right, you can very easily pull the bone out of the butt. Slides right out. It's a good way to know that it is done.

And, in my opinion, the bone gives flavor. "The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 AM

539 posts, read 1,311,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Butts have bones? Now I'm confused... I didn't think the butt had a bone in it. Ok so if I want to make a boatload of pulled pork for a party of around 60 people in July what cut of meat should I look for? Definitely do NOT want a cut of meat with a bone in it. Thank for all the good info BTW.
The bone is a single piece that just pulls out when smoked properly. See above posts for cuts of meat.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,666,665 times
I just don't want to spend money on bone when I need at least 40 lbs of cooked meat to feed people.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
I just don't want to spend money on bone when I need at least 40 lbs of cooked meat to feed people.
My mother never passed up meat because of a bone. It can be used for soup.

Where I used to live, there was a place that specialized in the Italian pulled pork sandwiches. I think that they advertised that they used pork loin. That said, pork loin is different here. A layer of fat is left on it. Aldi sells pork loin cut the way that I'm used to, without the layer of fat. You are not going to get it for $1 per pound.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 AM

469 posts, read 876,285 times
Lightbulb u saw it here 1st

Did you check www.porkbuttbuddy.com ?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,865,387 times
Quote:
For about the last year $1.49 is usually about as low as it has been going.

Don't worry about the bone, boneless will cost you more.

A 5lb butt smoked usually leaves between 31/2-4lb of pulled pork.

Curious if you need 40lb how many people are you feeding?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 AM

441 posts, read 1,284,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
There are boneless butts out there, but why avoid the bone?

If you cook the butt right, you can very easily pull the bone out of the butt. Slides right out. It's a good way to know that it is done.

And, in my opinion, the bone gives flavor. "The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat"
Very good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My mother never passed up meat because of a bone. It can be used for soup.

Where I used to live, there was a place that specialized in the Italian pulled pork sandwiches. I think that they advertised that they used pork loin. That said, pork loin is different here. A layer of fat is left on it. Aldi sells pork loin cut the way that I'm used to, without the layer of fat. You are not going to get it for $1 per pound.
You don't want it too fatty, but the fat is what will make it moist.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
You don't want it too fatty, but the fat is what will make it moist.
So I was told by a native who took me shopping when I was sick.

I think that the OP is planning to make Italian pulled pork. (porchetta) Just a guess. . .I could be wrong.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 49,521 times
Quote:
Butts have bones? Now I'm confused... I didn't think the butt had a bone in it. Ok so if I want to make a boatload of pulled pork for a party of around 60 people in July what cut of meat should I look for? Definitely do NOT want a cut of meat with a bone in it. Thank for all the good info BTW.
If your are smoking a butt or a shoulder, it aint done till the bone can be pulled out without any meat on it at all. Think 10-12 hours. I use my verticle smoker for 4-5 hours or until 10 lbs of charcoal is done, then roast it covered for the balance of the time at 275. If you spend less time cooking these cuts they will be greasy and tough. You need to render all the connective tissue and most of the fat out of the meat. Make sure you baste it with dilluted apple juice about once an hour. I puree an apple then add sugar and lots of water. Seems to work well.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM

28 posts, read 49,521 times
I'd grab some of the $1.49 butts at HT this week, best price I've seen so far this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte