U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM

82 posts, read 125,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rereraleigh View Post
Hi there, Charlotte NC is a great choice!! I lived there years ago, but moved back to Philly when my roommate situation didn't work out. My intention was to go back, but I wanted to try Raleigh, NC too. I live in Garner, NC - just 10 minutes outside of Raleigh. I love Raleigh, but I also love Charlotte too. I feel that one day I will be back drawn back to the Queen City (Charlotte). I love Charlotte. Lots more to do than Raleigh. More diverse than Raleigh. A city, but not with all the stress. Great schools. Lots of realtor opportunities. Cheaper to live than Raleigh. Go for it! I am happy for you! Many blessings.

I live in Raleigh now and it is a nice place, but it is not for me. I want to check out Charlotte and hopefully I will move there next year. Yes, I do believe Charlotte have more to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,920,608 times
Will you buying your own property to manage or will you be trying to manage other people's property? If you plan to manage other's property, you might have to have a NC real estate license. I haven't really looked into it thoroughly but I remember hearing this somewhere a few different times. And we get up to a dozen solicitations each week from people or companies wanting to manage our properties. I would highly recommend you research the property management business, including requirements, before pulling the trigger on a move unless you have a backup plan in place or can secure a job with an existing management company. And those jobs are hard to come by lately. I've looked.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,920,608 times
Following up on my post, you will need to have a NC real estate license. Being a broker in another state satisfies the educational requirements but you will still have to take the exam and meet any other requirements. This info was found in a very quick google search, so it may not be 100% accurate but it does jive with what I have been told in the past.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Default Charlotte a dying city

Please do not assume that because Charlotte has a large Black population that it is a great city for Black families. Charlotte is not very progressive. I consider it a dying city and do not be surprised that it will turn into Detroit. If you go to Wikipedia, look at predominately-Black cities, and search the crime data--you will be shocked. Go to the Department of Justice and look at crime statistics. In the loop around North Tyron and up to University—it is crime infested. Most child molesters are packed in the Tryon--and north Charlotte area. And by the way, most of them are Black. I home school my son who is a teenager—he will be my second child that will make it to college soon, and I do not allow him to socialized in Charlotte. And I am afraid he will be gunned down taking out the trash. He will never work in Charlotte and will leave home and go straight to college. My daughter just made it John Hopkins Medical—we are not rich, but hardworking, lower middleclass Blacks who decided to keep our heads above water by holding on to our dignity. And I will not appease a conversation to make the listener feel comfortably. Charlotte is problematic. . .

Charlotte is gang infested--and the city does not accurately report the crime data; nor is the Latino population accurately counted. Not to say they are all criminals because many of them want to live in peace also. A Latino is counted as a White person, so we see why the numbers do not fudge but why they are important to this city and this election. Please do not tell me I am incorrect. Go to the internet and look up the famous law case where the US states in legal terms that a Mexican is a White person. If they want to put other on the census report, they can but they are legally White by US courts. So when there are disparities toward them, they are not technically considered a Mexican or Spanish minority but a White majority that is treated like a minority except during criminal cases—they will be tried and convicted as White. Black folks you should look at what is going on in Cali neighborhoods. I have taught criminal justice people and I have a Masters—

I am afraid living in this city. However, because most Blacks are only at the receiving end of CJ they do not understand the impact on their own neighborhoods. Charlotte police makes on the average a hundred arrest a day! Drug problems from crack to heroin are out of control. I have never lived in a city where the crack and pothead will light up in broad day light near a cop; but here in Charlotte the criminals are defiant because the police are afraid. I watched a cop stop a man, get out of his car, talk to the man for more than five minutes, and never pat him down. I was blown away. I am from New York. The NYPD would not have gone for this. In addition, he only frisked him when he let him and the little girl he was with in the back of the cruiser and they drove off--I am assuming some type of domestic dispute. But he never checked the girl. Stunned. He could even ask the man with her to check her for him or do the correct policing protocol and call a female officer! I watched another cop do the same thing, get out of his car, during a pursuit and the supposedly criminals stared at the cop and began to drive in reverse to escapes. He is lucky they did not shoot or run him over. I have never seen so many cops so ill prepared for the city they police. The Fourth of July is a gun shot off in predominately-Black neighborhoods that have a history of crime and policing. And local thugs have most of the Black neighborhoods locked down with intimidation and firing a few rounds several times a week to keep the elderly and fearful in check. One neighborhood is so violent it made the national list and residents cried it is not so bad. They are afraid. And residents say things are better with the police force. Tryon makes the national list for carjacking. Someone is shot or stabbed nearly every week!

The school system just had to hire four minorities to try to balance the racialized problems that still exist in Charlotte. The economy here is propelled by entertainment. This is what Charlotte's administrations boast themselves—the city would die without fun time. And diversity is sad. Ballentyne wants to break away from Charlotte and form a new city with a police force and new name. Says it all. Yes, I cannot wait to get out of here. When we first moved here, we moved to Matthews. But we needed a larger place to help family; and do we regret moving to Charlotte. We are going back to Matthews, until my son finish some of his college education: we are moving back north. Blacks are on their second or more great migration from the north to the south. And each time we do this, following cheap rents, property, and family, we go right back. The only reason why I have not left for New York after several years here is that the economy is a wreck no matter where you turn and my husband works for a major employer here and it is a secure job during this greater depression. Another thing, I find very disturbing here, it the lack of inform Blacks about the current political and economical crisis. It is shocking never meeting one Black person that gives a hoot about the present and future conditions of this country and the number of them in love with a Black man that gives them nothing but abortions and more welfare. When the next pow wow begins, you do not want to be around infantile grownups that have not even stocked up on a bag of brown rise or read a substantial book. Let alone, the internet to read real news. The religious community here is nothing more than politicians. I have not seen anything major from clergy of any faith for the real betterment of this city. Poor and homeless sleep in one area of this city and I know religious leaders that drop the hungry and wayward to the shelter before giving them alms. If I did not know of it personally, I would not believe it. And yes, it was a Black man that did this. I know of people that cannot get an Imam on the phone either and are left to the streets. DC has a large Black affluent community but that is due to government jobs--but it is also crime ridden and so is Atlanta. I would ask everyone this--why move somewhere just because someone looks like you but you are more likely to be a victim of his or her criminal behavior or ignorance’s? We have to get pass this. This type of behavior that has been allowed to harass and destroy parts of this city has more to do with fear than a collective identity. If you want to move to Charlotte you should try to develop programs to improve the city. I have accomplished a few things but I am not staying. If you move here and just fall behind a 9-to 5, it will not be enough to keep this city moving forward in a positive manner. Charlotte needs people who are willing to intervene on the current establishment.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 AM

235 posts, read 163,910 times
This post in INCREDIBLY SAD. not from the standpoint of what you are going through, but from the standpoint that you seem like a highly pessimestic, miserable person. And miserable pessimestic people are usually miserable and pessimestic wherever they are. And its really hard to have educated, UNBIASED opinions when you are so saturated within a miserable life.
I respect your opinion for being YOUR EXPERIENCES....but you should make it CLEAR that these are YOUR experiences due to being in UNSAFE areas. Im from Houston, used to live in Cali, went to school near NOLA, and also used to live in Orlando, and I've never seen an OUNCE of horrific crime EVER. LUCK?? NO. its called making sure that as a YOUNG BLACK MAN, I place myself in the best, safest positions to be able to have a great quality of life and not have to worry about someone jumping on me when I walk out of my door.

and p.s. and please listen carefully! IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF BEING GUNNED DOWN WHILE TAKING OUT THE TRASH, THEN SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU NEED TO FIND A BETTER ATMOSPHERE TO PLACE YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN IN...IF NOT, THEN THATS A SHAME ON YOU SIR. AND THAT IS EXACTLY CONFINED TO THE BAD AREA YOU CHOSE TO BE IN...THAT IS NO WAY INDICATIVE OF HOW ALL OF CHARLOTTE IS.

I think you kinda put your foot in your mouth and embarrased yourself MORE THAN ANYTHING. and YOUR CHILD WILL NEVER WORK IN THE CITY HE LIVES IN?????????? ummm ...ummmm....ummm. sounds like you may need to seek a little bit of counseling...and I'm being quite honest. Sounds like you have some fears that may be a little un-perceived and coming from a deeper place that may need to be sorted out by someone who can explain the paranoia and fears of death and the inability to allow your children out of your house for fears that they will be gunned down. Thats not a HEALTHY state of mind sir. With all due respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noincharlottenc View Post
Please do not assume that because Charlotte has a large Black population that it is a great city for Black families. Charlotte is not very progressive. I consider it a dying city and do not be surprised that it will turn into Detroit. If you go to Wikipedia, look at predominately-Black cities, and search the crime data--you will be shocked. Go to the Department of Justice and look at crime statistics. In the loop around North Tyron and up to University—it is crime infested. Most child molesters are packed in the Tryon--and north Charlotte area. And by the way, most of them are Black. I home school my son who is a teenager—he will be my second child that will make it to college soon, and I do not allow him to socialized in Charlotte. And I am afraid he will be gunned down taking out the trash. He will never work in Charlotte and will leave home and go straight to college. My daughter just made it John Hopkins Medical—we are not rich, but hardworking, lower middleclass Blacks who decided to keep our heads above water by holding on to our dignity. And I will not appease a conversation to make the listener feel comfortably. Charlotte is problematic. . .

Charlotte is gang infested--and the city does not accurately report the crime data; nor is the Latino population accurately counted. Not to say they are all criminals because many of them want to live in peace also. A Latino is counted as a White person, so we see why the numbers do not fudge but why they are important to this city and this election. Please do not tell me I am incorrect. Go to the internet and look up the famous law case where the US states in legal terms that a Mexican is a White person. If they want to put other on the census report, they can but they are legally White by US courts. So when there are disparities toward them, they are not technically considered a Mexican or Spanish minority but a White majority that is treated like a minority except during criminal cases—they will be tried and convicted as White. Black folks you should look at what is going on in Cali neighborhoods. I have taught criminal justice people and I have a Masters—

I am afraid living in this city. However, because most Blacks are only at the receiving end of CJ they do not understand the impact on their own neighborhoods. Charlotte police makes on the average a hundred arrest a day! Drug problems from crack to heroin are out of control. I have never lived in a city where the crack and pothead will light up in broad day light near a cop; but here in Charlotte the criminals are defiant because the police are afraid. I watched a cop stop a man, get out of his car, talk to the man for more than five minutes, and never pat him down. I was blown away. I am from New York. The NYPD would not have gone for this. In addition, he only frisked him when he let him and the little girl he was with in the back of the cruiser and they drove off--I am assuming some type of domestic dispute. But he never checked the girl. Stunned. He could even ask the man with her to check her for him or do the correct policing protocol and call a female officer! I watched another cop do the same thing, get out of his car, during a pursuit and the supposedly criminals stared at the cop and began to drive in reverse to escapes. He is lucky they did not shoot or run him over. I have never seen so many cops so ill prepared for the city they police. The Fourth of July is a gun shot off in predominately-Black neighborhoods that have a history of crime and policing. And local thugs have most of the Black neighborhoods locked down with intimidation and firing a few rounds several times a week to keep the elderly and fearful in check. One neighborhood is so violent it made the national list and residents cried it is not so bad. They are afraid. And residents say things are better with the police force. Tryon makes the national list for carjacking. Someone is shot or stabbed nearly every week!

The school system just had to hire four minorities to try to balance the racialized problems that still exist in Charlotte. The economy here is propelled by entertainment. This is what Charlotte's administrations boast themselves—the city would die without fun time. And diversity is sad. Ballentyne wants to break away from Charlotte and form a new city with a police force and new name. Says it all. Yes, I cannot wait to get out of here. When we first moved here, we moved to Matthews. But we needed a larger place to help family; and do we regret moving to Charlotte. We are going back to Matthews, until my son finish some of his college education: we are moving back north. Blacks are on their second or more great migration from the north to the south. And each time we do this, following cheap rents, property, and family, we go right back. The only reason why I have not left for New York after several years here is that the economy is a wreck no matter where you turn and my husband works for a major employer here and it is a secure job during this greater depression. Another thing, I find very disturbing here, it the lack of inform Blacks about the current political and economical crisis. It is shocking never meeting one Black person that gives a hoot about the present and future conditions of this country and the number of them in love with a Black man that gives them nothing but abortions and more welfare. When the next pow wow begins, you do not want to be around infantile grownups that have not even stocked up on a bag of brown rise or read a substantial book. Let alone, the internet to read real news. The religious community here is nothing more than politicians. I have not seen anything major from clergy of any faith for the real betterment of this city. Poor and homeless sleep in one area of this city and I know religious leaders that drop the hungry and wayward to the shelter before giving them alms. If I did not know of it personally, I would not believe it. And yes, it was a Black man that did this. I know of people that cannot get an Imam on the phone either and are left to the streets. DC has a large Black affluent community but that is due to government jobs--but it is also crime ridden and so is Atlanta. I would ask everyone this--why move somewhere just because someone looks like you but you are more likely to be a victim of his or her criminal behavior or ignorance’s? We have to get pass this. This type of behavior that has been allowed to harass and destroy parts of this city has more to do with fear than a collective identity. If you want to move to Charlotte you should try to develop programs to improve the city. I have accomplished a few things but I am not staying. If you move here and just fall behind a 9-to 5, it will not be enough to keep this city moving forward in a positive manner. Charlotte needs people who are willing to intervene on the current establishment.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 AM

140 posts, read 143,337 times
Geez....You sound very bitter and angry. One thought while reading this statement was, if you husband has a good job with a major company in Charlotte, why would you choose to live in a dangerous part of town?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 AM

235 posts, read 163,910 times
" I watched a cop stop a man, get out of his car, talk to the man for more than five minutes, and never pat him down. I was blown away. I am from New York. The NYPD would not have gone for this. In addition, he only frisked him when he let him and the little girl he was with in the back of the cruiser and they drove off--I am assuming some type of domestic dispute."

Never pat him down...yet moments later he ONLY FRISKED him???? lol. So did the police officer check him out, or NOT? cause you are totally contradicting urself. One minute he never pat him down, next minute he frisked him??? smh

Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 AM

3,915 posts, read 1,451,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
This post in INCREDIBLY SAD. not from the standpoint of what you are going through, but from the standpoint that you seem like a highly pessimestic, miserable person. And miserable pessimestic people are usually miserable and pessimestic wherever they are.
Attacking the messenger rather than to address the message seems to be a bit pointless and unproductive if you ask me. It doesn't solve any problems and in fact makes it worse. This doesn't sound like a failure of responsibility if you ask me as it would seem that the party you are addressing is making the best of a really bad situation. I wish other parents in this environment would take the same interest with their children. If they did, the problems listed wouldn't exist.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 AM

7,392 posts, read 3,746,656 times
You are afraid of Charlotte and want your kids to get out for college... and your first born is at John Hopkins... in Baltimore... great school but Baltimore is really really rough. Why would you put your kid in a city like Baltimore if you are so concerned with gangs and crime?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM

45,179 posts, read 57,305,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noincharlottenc View Post

hmmmm......

"First" post? Nah, I don't think so.

BethDiGiona is that you honey? I think I'd recognize you anywhere!

Is Charlotte that dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte