Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM

162 posts, read 226,853 times

Advertisements

Page Plus is a pre paid option. The are owner by verizon. It's $45 or $55 a month for unlimited everything. The only problem is they are not sold a lot of places and I do not know anywhere in the Mooresville area you could purchase page plus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 AM

364 posts, read 630,501 times
Keep in mind depending on which plans you are looking at if you use a lot of data I hear some of the prepaid will cut/drop you (I believe usually if you use 2 or 2.5GB+ a month). T-mobile some of their plans give you a certain amount of data at 4g speeds (with capable phone and service available) and it slows down after that, but without overages so to speak.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 AM

642 posts, read 1,163,363 times
I was somewhat confused by the OP's initial post where they asked for (unlimited everything). By definition a pre-paid phone cannot be unlimited.

I now read that the OP does not need internet access from a phone.

Now we have a simple solution, I think.

The OP is asking for (I thin) a simple phone that reliably makes/receives phone calls and sends/receives SMS text and nothing else. Is this correct Bubble08? If so, then all that is needed is a "dumb" phone from any carrier that works well in the required areas.

Pre-paid tariffs are very expensive to use other than occasionally. For casual and occasional use the cash outlay is small. I have used pre-paid (on my visits to Charlotte) from both AT&T and Verizon. If I do not use the phone on a given day, I do not get charged. On days where I use it, I get charged $1 for the first use (incoming/outgoing call or text) + $0.1 mer minute thereafter. Internet use is exorbitantly high so I don't use it.

The phone credit is removed after 3 months to a year depending on how much you bought. Both Verizon and AT&T have similarly restrictive policies on this.

I have found that due to the lack of SIM cards, Verizon is easier to re-start than AT&T since I can do this over the phone. However this means that you'll get a new number since the old one may be dead.

Without doubt Verizon have the best overall coverage of all carriers BUT, there may be poor coverage in just the one point where you need it (rats). There are always holes in a network and I won't go into why as you will all fall asleep .

You need to check the prices very carefully for each carrier but the two big guys (AT&T and Verizon) are fairlycompetitivee and pretty much the same. Many of the smaller carriers simply buy air time from the major carriers and re-sell it. These carrier's prices may be lower but soWilll their company profits so they may not always be there.

Last edited by krokus; 06-18-2012 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: spelnig erraz

Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I was somewhat confused by the OP's initial post where they asked for (unlimited everything). By definition a pre-paid phone cannot be unlimited.
Just about every carrier has an unlimited plan in the $55 range.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Just about every carrier has an unlimited plan in the $55 range.
Yes, but not pre-paid whaich was what the OP asked. Monthly plans are usually for a fixed period (18 months - 3 years) if you have a phone as part of the contract but some carriers will do you a no phone month on month pplan which may be what you were referring to. Even then the number of monthly call minutes is limited to the carrier contract agreement. Many carreirs will offer call minutes roll over into the next month which is a good thing.

There is a middle ground with companies like Boost Mobile who will give you a monthly (pre-paid) contract but that ain't unlimited. T-Mobile have a similar plan.

The OP has no need of a data plan but I'll explain anyway. Dataplans today are nearly all limited to a certain number of megabytes (MB) per month. The limit is higer if you pay more. There are also deals to be had with family plans and soon these will include minutes and data MB sharing across the family group.

Verizon is phasing out its grandfatherd unlimited data plans shortly.

However within the pre-paid sector, you pay and the carrier gives you minutes.

Last edited by krokus; 06-18-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Yes, but not pre-paid whaich was what the OP asked. Monthly plans are usually for a fixed period (18 months - 3 years) if you have a phone as part of the contract but some carriers will do you a no phone month on month pplan which may be what you were referring to. Even then the number of monthly call minutes is limited to the carrier contract agreement. Many carreirs will offer call minutes roll over into the next month which is a good thing.

There is a middle ground with companies like Boost Mobile who will give you a monthly (pre-paid) contract but that ain't unlimited. T-Mobile have a similar plan.

The OP has no need of a data plan but I'll explain anyway. Dataplans today are nearly all limited to a certain number of megabytes (MB) per month. The limit is higer if you pay more. There are also deals to be had with family plans and soon these will include minutes and data MB sharing across the family group.

Verizon is phasing out its grandfatherd unlimited data plans shortly.

However within the pre-paid sector, you pay and the carrier gives you minutes.
I'm talking about Cricket, Boost, Virgin Mobile... they all have unlimited pre paid monthly plans. Talk as much as you want, text as much as you want, surf as much as you want (most slow you down after 2.5 gigs)... and it's month to month.

ATT, Verizon and others are starting to do the no contract unlimited because they are getting killed by these companies.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Why isn't this considered unlimited? Prepaid Phone Plans | Monthly Unlimited | No Contract Plans | Boost Mobile

Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM

461 posts, read 978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It is. It seems like our buddy up there hasn't researched prepaid options in a while...

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
It is. It seems like our buddy up there hasn't researched prepaid options in a while...
yeah I was a little confused by the comment but maybe krokus thinks paying month-to-month makes it limited in some way.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM

You guys are right. I think that pre-paid is where you pay as you go. By this I mean that you buy $25 of phone credit and then spend it on phone calls. When this is gone you can;t make any more calls ore texts until you buy more credit.

The $50 per month above is a fixed payment (I don't understand the reducing bill) each month. I see that you can cancel at the end of any monthly period.

You are also right in that I do not know all there is to know about cheap phone plans. To do this I think that you need to be looking at this almost on a daily basis.

However I still think that my definition of pre-paid is the correct one. Why? Pre-paid was put in placde by carriers to allow (make money from) people with poor credit to have a cell phone.

Nonetheless, Thank you for showing me the Boost Mobile offer but, I did point out in my earlier post that I thought that this (I said Boost) was a middle ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte