U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,832 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Charlotte and would like to listen to local talk radio to get a feel for the area. Can anyone recommend a talk station that is not ultra-right wing and where the callers/hosts don't yell at each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 PM

472 posts, read 883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassun View Post
We're considering a move to Charlotte and would like to listen to local talk radio to get a feel for the area. Can anyone recommend a talk station that is not ultra-right wing and where the callers/hosts don't yell at each other?
The local non-sports talk are on 1110 AM WBT. There're programs at
9 AM-Noon Keith Larson: Covers both non-political & political topics; leans right & libertarian. I would rate this as best of the bunch, but the quality is uneven. Mr Larson is entertaining, but not a good debater.
3-6 PM: Ultra right-wing, but without the smarts of nationally-syndicated talk. An embarrassment to Charlotte.
6-9 PM John Hancock: Similar to the morning show, but with a lot of stammering.

107.9 FM is a music station with lots of inconsequential chatter.

WFAE 90.7 FM is the public radio station and has 9-10 AM chat called "Charlotte Talks". Tends to be more focused & cerebral than the competition. I would not say that it's always entertaining.

CLick on the links to listen via live streaming or find podcasts.

IMO, the problem is that the people who call these shows represent a small segment of the city. I run my own business and work out of home, so I sometimes listen in, mostly in the morning.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 AM

540 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Quote:
There is none...yep, NONE!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM

11,809 posts, read 9,403,309 times
All the talk shows lean to the right in Charlotte and most complain about the libs and the left and how they control everything.

Everyone says Larson is the best and isn't ultra right wing but I heard his contract wasn't renewed. Not sure if that has changed yet.

The best talk radio is the sports channel. Forget what it's called though... the Fan or something like that. I know it's #2 on my radio. LOL

Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,667,490 times
Quote:
In addition to WBT being online from their homepage, they are now part of iHeart Radio so you can get a sneak peak through a smartphone or other devices. The change hasn't come down to my XBOX yet though.

Of course they are known as the "blowtorch of the south" and at night have amazing propagation on 1110am.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,390,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
All the talk shows lean to the right in Charlotte and most complain about the libs and the left and how they control everything.

Everyone says Larson is the best and isn't ultra right wing but I heard his contract wasn't renewed. Not sure if that has changed yet.

The best talk radio is the sports channel. Forget what it's called though... the Fan or something like that. I know it's #2 on my radio. LOL
Larson got a new contract, but no one is saying what the terms are.

The primary sports/talk station is 610am WFNZ. There's also an ESPN radio outlet at 730am. Neither are very strong in all areas of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte