Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps1819grits View Post
I sure would like to know which version of the Bible you read. The Bible certainly does talk about how homosexuality is a sin.

Furthermore, if you will travel back in time, you will find that our country was FOUNDED on the Bible. Therefore there should NOT be any separation of church and state. We as humans, aka sinners, have done that over time. We've taken God out of our schools, out of our court rooms, out of every place possible....and we wonder what is wrong with our country and why there is so much crime and violence.

Marriage is very precious. It was created to represent the relationship between God and his church. Marriage is to be between one man and one woman. I am very glad to see this protected!

Sadly, there are multiple churches that are all talk and no action. Take the time to find a church where there are real people, who talk about real issues, and don't skirt over or avoid talking about and teaching about the "hard topics".

I leave you with just one passage that speaks of homosexuality as a sin....
Here's one passage that talks about sexual sins, including homosexuality (see verse 22):
Leviticus 18

New International Version (NIV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations

18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.
6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.
7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.
8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.
9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.
10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.
11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.
12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.
13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.
14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.
15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.
16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.
17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.
18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.
19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.
20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.
21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.
22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.
24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.
29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God. ’”
You don't know what you are talking about.

Most of the original colonies were Royal colonies & the Anglican Church was the state religion. All others were labeled dissenters & had less rights. Our country was founded on a constitution, not a bible.

Our constitution says that religion has no business in government.

Since you don't even know how our country was founded, I didn't bother to read the rest of your claptrap.

I will tell you that Lutherans, Episcopalians, Catholics, Quakers, Methodists, etc., etc., etc. are all Christians. You fundamentalists do not have a monopoly on the term Christian. You folks all showed up to vote away rights for heterosexuals as well as homosexuals. If the rest of the registered voters had shown up in like numbers, your little foray into theocracy would have failed. Just remember. . . The pendelum swings both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Look at you all... so upset about what others think of you... you brought this upon yourselves!
You knew people would think us to be narrow minded bumpkins but you let the Right Wingers quote a verse or two from the Bible and it scared you into thinking that you were somehow saving your souls and your children's souls by voting for this.

Holding your heads up high thinking your doing Gods work by taking away God given freedoms of your Brothers and Sisters because you don't like something they do, something you don't understand.
Now look at you... so upset because you were called out on it...
it's lonely up on that pillar isn't it?

Up there thinking your all so much better then everyone else. For everyone
that voted for this Amendment
I pray for your judgmental, hypocritical, narrow minded souls when you meet your maker and have to explain this.

The billboard is up and the message is clear sorry for the narrow-minded, judgmental, deceptive, manipulative actions of those who DENIED rights and equality TO so many in the Name of God.
They are all to willing to express their bigotry when they vote, and crow about it at the top of their lungs that "bigotry wins" "ignorance wins" "homophobia wins" then scream in anguish when a mirror is held up to show them how really are.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
To put the sign up in the bung hole of the east coast

It's very rare I burst out laughing but this comment amidst all the seriousness killed me.

This is not Bashing Locals for the record. As far as I knew, Charlotte voted against "it". So it's not bashing the locals...

I don't understand why this is considered "bashing" But the church nuts in Maiden, an entire vote to take away rights from employers and cities to provide rights for homosexuals, cracking wrists, etc. is holier than thou.

Yeah, we may have voted like California; so lets hope the outcome turns out to be like that of California's.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If the bible says homosexuality is a sin, why would a chuirch want to put up a billboard supporting it?

I don't understand this apparent contradiction.
Because you've just made a closed ended and black and white point. We live in a democracy not a theocracy. Not to mention cherry picking sins from the bible itself.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I love that they chose to put it up on the Billy Graham Parkway. Hope someone sends Billy boy a picture.
I don't have "Billy boy's" email; so I guess this will have to do.

Church posts billboard apology for Amendment One - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
You bold the word unlawful as if to impose your own religious beliefs upon the land as if it were an interpretation of the constitution? It's not. It actually states separation between church and state and thank God for that. Unfortunately more than two centuries later we still haven't adapted to that that. We are a democracy, not a theocracy

Quote:
I sure would like to know which version of the Bible you read. The Bible certainly does talk about how homosexuality is a sin.

Furthermore, if you will travel back in time, you will find that our country was FOUNDED on the Bible. Therefore there should NOT be any separation of church and state. We as humans, aka sinners, have done that over time. We've taken God out of our schools, out of our court rooms, out of every place possible....and we wonder what is wrong with our country and why there is so much crime and violence.

Marriage is very precious. It was created to represent the relationship between God and his church. Marriage is to be between one man and one woman. I am very glad to see this protected!

Sadly, there are multiple churches that are all talk and no action. Take the time to find a church where there are real people, who talk about real issues, and don't skirt over or avoid talking about and teaching about the "hard topics".

I leave you with just one passage that speaks of homosexuality as a sin....
Here's one passage that talks about sexual sins, including homosexuality (see verse 22):
Leviticus 18

New International Version (NIV)

Unlawful Sexual Relations

18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.
6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.
7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.
8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.
9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.
10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.
11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.
12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.
13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.
14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.
15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.
16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.
17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.
18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.
19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.
20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.
21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.
22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.
24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.
29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God. ’”
You're also cherry picking the bible and playing it upon your conveniences.

Quote:
Two men or two women deciding to marry eachother for commitment and stability doesn't affect your life or your marriage in any single way. So you use the word protect as if it were to threaten the very foundation of your own marriage, when by logical and rational standards it doesn't. Marriage is indeed precious, thus the reason gays in commited relationships are seeking that solid foundation and it isn't simply defined by your own black and white narrow point of view. Many people interprit God differently which is why we have freedom of religion here, and I thank God for that!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-31-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 AM

284 posts, read 605,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
. . . The pendelum swings both ways.
OK - in attempt to lighten this thread just a bit - especially given the topic of this thread, I am saying in my best Beavis/Butthead voice: "You said 'swings both ways'. . .heh heh heh heh. . .hmm mmm mmm, yeah."

Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Because you've just made a closed ended and black and white point. I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question based on supposed facts in the bible. We live in a democracy not a theocracy. This has to do with...? Not to mention cherry picking sins from the bible itself. I wasn't cherry picking. The subject is homosexuality, not adultery, killing, or looking at an ass. If the thread topic was one of those things, I would have commented accordingly.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Because you've just made a closed ended and black and white point. We live in a democracy not a theocracy. Not to mention cherry picking sins from the bible itself.
You are so right! Apparently those religious zealots out there still can't grasp that concept! For all of those out there who are so threatened by the very idea of gays being allowed to marry, here's a thought, if us heterosexuals didn't treat marriage like a joke, we wouldn't feel the need to protect the sanctity of marriage would we? If you want to protect the sanctity of marriage, how about honoring the vows that you made to your spouse, don't commit adultery, don't abuse your spouse, respect your spouse and make sure the needs of your spouse are met! Lastly, whatever problems arise in your marriage, you need to do whatever it takes to work those problems out, don't go to your parents or your best friend and airing your dirty laundry to them, b/c they can give you bad advice at times! That's a start!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You are so right! Apparently those religious zealots out there still can't grasp that concept! For all of those out there who are so threatened by the very idea of gays being allowed to marry, here's a thought, if us heterosexuals didn't treat marriage like a joke, we wouldn't feel the need to protect the sanctity of marriage would we? If you want to protect the sanctity of marriage, how about honoring the vows that you made to your spouse, don't commit adultery, don't abuse your spouse, respect your spouse and make sure the needs of your spouse are met! Lastly, whatever problems arise in your marriage, you need to do whatever it takes to work those problems out, don't go to your parents or your best friend and airing your dirty laundry to them, b/c they can give you bad advice at times! That's a start!
What makes you think I'm a religious zealot? Before you comment on these posts you need to read them and not blindly fly off the handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte