Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The billboard will read, "Mission gathering Christian Church is sorry for the narrow-minded, judgmental, deceptive, manipulative actions of those who DENIED rights and equality TO so many in the Name of God."

There is plans if the Church receives funding, to add more billboards like this through out the Queen City and have them up in time for the DNC.

read more here Calif. church plans billboard in Charlotte offering apology... | www.wsoctv.com
I finally saw the sign on TV. My first reaction is that the sign is a lie. When we voted on Amentment I there was nothing on the question except stating that marriage is between a man and and woman. A logical person would therefore vote for the amendment because of scientific reasons also.

Making a logical choice is neither narrow-minded, judgemental, deceptive, or manipulative. However I have found those that are against Amendment One to be all of those things. They call the truth a lie and a lie the truth.

We have a responsibility to teach our children the logical way of living. As far as I am concerned this church can put up all the signs they want to, but it will not change the truth.

http://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_chur...h_carolina.htm

Last edited by NCN; 06-01-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Careful there you ball of christian sunshine, your hate is glowing. And for the record, I could care less what you think of me, my beliefs and what I stand for. You don't offend me not at all....I feel saddened for you and all of these ugly things, all of
these sins you claim to stand for, God does not condone.
Wasn't trying to offend you, but I was angry. I don't understand how a supposed christian could ever have the arrogance to talk about people they don't know and say they are not a christian; but as has been the theme through this whole thread, you have shown that you have a fairly warped interpretation of what christianity really is.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I finally saw the sign on TV. My first reaction is that the sign is a lie. When we voted on Amentment I there was nothing on the question except stating that marriage is between a man and and woman. A logical person would therefore vote for the amendment because of scientific reasons also.

Making a logical choice is neither narrow-minded, judgemental, deceptive, or manipulative. However I have found those that are against Amendment One to be all of those things. They call the truth a lie and a lie the truth.

We have a responsibility to teach our children the logical way of living. As far as I am concerned this church can put up all the signs they want to, but it will not change the truth.

How is 2 men or 2 women wanting the same civil liberties as everyone else when they have the same civil responsibilities as everyone else NOT logical?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,140 times
Marriage is not a "right" but a social contract devised and sanctioned by a society. About 4,000 years ago, Judiaism, then later Christianity thought the monogamous, man-woman thing was the best way to build a healthy society, and it's been that way, at least in the Western world, until about ten years ago. Maybe it's the height of hubris to suddenly declare that anyone not on board with thousands of years of civilization is somehow bigoted, hateful, or willfully denying ficticious "rights" to certain people?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Maybe it's the height of hubris to suddenly declare that anyone not on board with thousands of years of civilization is somehow bigoted, hateful, or willfully denying ficticious "rights" to certain people?
Definition of bigot from merriam webster: : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance

Quote:
Marriage is not a "right" but a social contract devised and sanctioned by a society.?
Not a right? It's a freedom that is offered to all adults in this country with exceptions to gays. We as a nation expect gays to hold up all the civil responsibilities but not receive all of the civil liberties, I've said that 100 times and I'm waiting for one person to say I'm wrong. Who can logically argue that if you are expected to pay the same taxes & follow the same laws you shouldn't be allowed the same privileges?

Quote:
About 4,000 years ago, Judiaism, then later Christianity thought the monogamous, man-woman thing was the best way to build a healthy society, and it's been that way, at least in the Western world, until about ten years ago.
And before that for a long time society thought it was okay to own people as slaves and treat women as second class citizens. Thank GOD we smartened up and said "nope, that's wrong" a lot of bigots fought against that, later when racial & sexual equality was being pushed a lot of bigots fought against that, and now by your own estimation the people still trying to hold on to the unfair laws of the old have had ten years to get over their prejiduces (in a matter that really doesn't concern them anyway...talk about arrogance)

Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

"Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts."

Here's a list of some christian churches. You are entitled to your beliefs as I am entitled to mine. Neither is better than the other. List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2012, 05:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post

And before that for a long time society thought it was okay to own people as slaves and treat women as second class citizens. Thank GOD we smartened up and said "nope, that's wrong"
We thought those two things because the bible said they were OK. So why would you thank GOD for our changing those beliefs? Why would GOD want us to go against his teachings? You're suggesting we smartened up because GOD wanted us to, in direct contradiction of his word?

This is yet another interpretation of the bible and subsequent contradiction.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
THere is so much anger in both communities. Tis a shame.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
We thought those two things because the bible said they were OK. So why would you thank GOD for our changing those beliefs? Why would GOD want us to go against his teachings? You're suggesting we smartened up because GOD wanted us to, in direct contradiction of his word?

This is yet another interpretation of the bible and subsequent contradiction.
Exactly. The people who oppose homosexuality because it's a sin according to the Bible, generally speaking, do not agree with a lot of the rest of the Bible. These points have already been made, and usually ignored, throughout this and the other thread about the so-called pastor, but the Bible says that eating ham & pork, wearing mixed fabrics, & shaving your beard are acts that go against the word of God. The Bible time & again refers to women as second class who need to be subservient to men.
I don't believe any of that is to be taken literally, so I do thank GOD that we as a society have smartened up to realize that we can still be good christians or good people without putting children to death when they curse their parents. If I am wrong in those beliefs I'll have to answer for them, but I'm not going to ignore the overall message of the Bible (loving one another) just so that I can tell other people how to live their lives based on a few verses.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You people crack me up, you are not Christian, do not believe in God and in some cases are not truly saved yet you want to portray yourselves as biblical scholars.
Like any other book, the bible can be read and discussed by anyone regardless of their beliefs.

I'm not a Nazi, but I can read and discuss "Mein Kampf."

I'm not a tween girl but I can read and discuss "Twilight" books (if I decided I really wanted to).

Or are you saying that only certain people are smart enough to read and understand the bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte