U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,578,490 times

Advertisements

This is sad...this is a wonderful historic site. I hope that someone will step up and financially back this site, or it will be gone.

We’re Planning to Rewrite History!
The Charlotte Museum of History and the Hezekiah Alexander home site are experiencing financial challenges like many historic properties and local history museums across the country. Our board has decided to temporarily suspend public operations, in order to study and access the viability of interest and support for local history of the Charlotte/Mecklenburg region. Partnering with the Arts and Science Council and consulting with local history centers across the city, state and country, we plan to spend several months looking at how history can be vitalized to attract interest in today’s high technology, interactive world and provide valid, relevant research and information to students and scholars about the region’s past.
We hope to emerge with some exciting plans for the historic home and grounds and, just possibly, a new operating model to make this community’s history more interesting and engaging to thousands more citizens. We hope to emerge with a history making proposition that stimulates new interest in Charlotte/ Mecklenburg’s rich history from civic leaders, funders, supporters, historians and audiences.
Stay tuned, follow our journey and share your insights with us on Facebook and Twitter!
info@charlottemuseum.org
Touring inside the historic home site and Museum building will not be available during this time. However, self- guided tours of the grounds and home site are available through Guide by Cell, Tuesdays through Sundays, 10a.m. – 5 p.m. See, “Visit Us” for more specific instructions.

The Charlotte Museum of History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
This is sad...this is a wonderful historic site. I hope that someone will step up and financially back this site, or it will be gone.

We’re Planning to Rewrite History!
The Charlotte Museum of History and the Hezekiah Alexander home site are experiencing financial challenges like many historic properties and local history museums across the country. Our board has decided to temporarily suspend public operations, in order to study and access the viability of interest and support for local history of the Charlotte/Mecklenburg region. Partnering with the Arts and Science Council and consulting with local history centers across the city, state and country, we plan to spend several months looking at how history can be vitalized to attract interest in today’s high technology, interactive world and provide valid, relevant research and information to students and scholars about the region’s past.
We hope to emerge with some exciting plans for the historic home and grounds and, just possibly, a new operating model to make this community’s history more interesting and engaging to thousands more citizens. We hope to emerge with a history making proposition that stimulates new interest in Charlotte/ Mecklenburg’s rich history from civic leaders, funders, supporters, historians and audiences.
Stay tuned, follow our journey and share your insights with us on Facebook and Twitter!
info@charlottemuseum.org
Touring inside the historic home site and Museum building will not be available during this time. However, self- guided tours of the grounds and home site are available through Guide by Cell, Tuesdays through Sundays, 10a.m. – 5 p.m. See, “Visit Us” for more specific instructions.

The Charlotte Museum of History
I have ideas but I don't have the money to endow. We need an Angel to come in and infuse some cash. The Museum is wonderful and one of my favorite spots in the whole county.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 AM

21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have ideas but I don't have the money to endow. We need an Angel to come in and infuse some cash. The Museum is wonderful and one of my favorite spots in the whole county.
If the Democrats had control of congress in DC, the thing to do would be to tie the house & any other such buildings in the area to the Kings Mountain National Park. It could be a regional system. There is a stone house, built circa 1802 on the grounds of the park. They open it a couple of times a year.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If the Democrats had control of congress in DC, the thing to do would be to tie the house & any other such buildings in the area to the Kings Mountain National Park. It could be a regional system. There is a stone house, built circa 1802 on the grounds of the park. They open it a couple of times a year.
Well, I don't think the board would be interested in that. They have wanted to keep the identity strictly MECK.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think the board would be interested in that. They have wanted to keep the identity strictly MECK.
That would be best. Plus, this congress wouldn't go for it.

I would hope that they find funding sources. On the other hand, if they can't, reconfiguring Kings Mountain could be a last-ditch solution. This would be based on how Independence National Park is set up, with sites scattered.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That would be best. Plus, this congress wouldn't go for it.

I would hope that they find funding sources. On the other hand, if they can't, reconfiguring Kings Mountain could be a last-ditch solution. This would be based on how Independence National Park is set up, with sites scattered.
I think it is a very worthwhile suggestion, SB! And who knows - if they can't come up with something - it would sure be better than seeing the property closed! They would effectively be giving up control, I would think, if they turned the property over to the Feds, and I am thinking that would be an obstacle. However, desperate situations call for innovative solutions and one thing about it . . . the property would be protected and viable.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I think it is a very worthwhile suggestion, SB! And who knows - if they can't come up with something - it would sure be better than seeing the property closed! They would effectively be giving up control, I would think, if they turned the property over to the Feds, and I am thinking that would be an obstacle. However, desperate situations call for innovative solutions and one thing about it . . . the property would be protected and viable.
I realized after I posted the suggestin, that it probably came off 180 degrees from my intention. The group would lose control, at least to a degree, but the feds like displays, so they might be able to work something out. As it is, even if they find a private benefactor, they might lose some control, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte