Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominikanfrank View Post
The chicken has absolutely no flavor. It's like they took the pieces of chicken and dumped it in the fryer without seasoning it before OR after. If you want good chicken, I recommend Leroy Fox on Sharon Amity, that is amazing stuff, and the staff is great.
This contradicts every experience I've had with Price's. Maybe it was an off batch? We don't go that often, just a few times a year (can't handle that much grease more often than that!), but every time we've gone, the chicken has been VERY flavorful. The last time we went, it was close to closing time. Some of the pieces were not piping hot, but it was still very good.

Have you tried Price's again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
I don't understand the fascination with Price's!! When I moved here, everyone would tell me "YOU HAVE TO TRY PRICES CHICKEN COOP!" So I did.... Wow, what a disappointment. The chicken has absolutely no flavor. It's like they took the pieces of chicken and dumped it in the fryer without seasoning it before OR after. If you want good chicken, I recommend Leroy Fox on Sharon Amity, that is amazing stuff, and the staff is great.
I KNEW Leroy Fox sounded familiar! I was driving around yesterday trying to find a place for lunch that sounded tasty. I stopped in front of LF, on the way to Eddie's, and knew I recognized the name (from this thread) but couldn't remember where.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
If you like Prices, then do yourself a favor and go to the Chicken Box on N. Tryon. That's a true hidden gem. I went to Prices the first time when I was 7 (I am now 53), they were still raising and killing chickens next door. Chicken Box smacks Prices in the dirt.
A friend said Chicken Box was the truth... haven't tried it yet.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM

123 posts, read 217,904 times
Glad I read this forum. Read on-line and on City Data nothing but praise for Price's. Took me 1 1/2 years being here before I finally got there and was so disappointed. Bland, no taste, I'm always looking for a good fried chicken place. Thought moving south I would find all kinds of places. I'll have to check out the Chicken Box. We looked up restaurants going cross-country and knew we'd be stopping in Memphis. We heard nothing but excellent results for this little whole in the wall called Gus' so we thought we try it. Best fried chicken I've ever had. They had these great Fried Pickle Spears, too. I wish I lived in Memphis. If you ever go through there, stop for their chicken. Speaking of Southern food, I thought every restaurant here would have Peach Cobbler. Haven't found one yet. I highly recommend Midwood Smokehouse on Central Ave.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
I didn't find Prices chicken bland but it didn't blow me away either. Soemtimes I wonder if the expectationss are too high due to their reputation. The lines are so long and the crowd is too diverse for it to be bland IMO.

Anyone have any other suggestions for good chicken? I went to a place called Lupies on Monroe/7th street and their wings are spectacular. They bake them and all I can say is mmmmm mmmm good.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
Glad I read this forum. Read on-line and on City Data nothing but praise for Price's. Took me 1 1/2 years being here before I finally got there and was so disappointed. Bland, no taste, I'm always looking for a good fried chicken place. Thought moving south I would find all kinds of places. I'll have to check out the Chicken Box. We looked up restaurants going cross-country and knew we'd be stopping in Memphis. We heard nothing but excellent results for this little whole in the wall called Gus' so we thought we try it. Best fried chicken I've ever had. They had these great Fried Pickle Spears, too. I wish I lived in Memphis. If you ever go through there, stop for their chicken. Speaking of Southern food, I thought every restaurant here would have Peach Cobbler. Haven't found one yet. I highly recommend Midwood Smokehouse on Central Ave.
A buddy told me about Midwood, said it was very good. Gotta try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I didn't find Prices chicken bland but it didn't blow me away either. Soemtimes I wonder if the expectationss are too high due to their reputation. The lines are so long and the crowd is too diverse for it to be bland IMO.

Anyone have any other suggestions for good chicken? I went to a place called Lupies on Monroe/7th street and their wings are spectacular. They bake them and all I can say is mmmmm mmmm good.
Lupie's Cafe is great. Sometimes. I've been for meatloaf and mac and cheese and it was great. I had BBQ there with a couple friends recently and even they said it wasn't nearly as good as the Lupie's near Lake Norman. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as my friends had raved. The wings are good but be careful with the heat. Same goes for the chili. My ego got the better of me one night on a date, and I paid for it for a couple days.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

Anyone have any other suggestions for good chicken?
Simmons Soul Food, on Graham near 9th.

Sadly, my favorite favorites - the original Diamond on Commonwealth and Sadie's Soulful Southern - are no more. Sadie's had a sweet potato waffle and fried corn...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 30,812 times
Wait, has no one here mentioned Kings BBQ on Wilkingson?? That stuff is amazing! Fried Chicken dipped in BBQ sauce, comes out crispy, yet saucy.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM

30 posts, read 51,442 times
The new Leo's in Waxhaw has the best chicken I've had in town or elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Wait, has no one here mentioned Kings BBQ on Wilkingson?? That stuff is amazing! Fried Chicken dipped in BBQ sauce, comes out crispy, yet saucy.
Yeah, BBQ sauce dunked fried chicken....hmmmmm nope. Been eatin at BBQ King for 40 plus years, never understood why they did it that way, never liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte