U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM

5,875 posts, read 7,716,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
They may be calling the 521 store Weddington.

The article says that they're subleasing the Providence Road store. Nothing about what will happen to Wesley Chapel and Mint Hill where they face each other.
I don't think there really is a HT that close (compared to some of these other ones) to where the Mint Hill store is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 PM

19,971 posts, read 18,841,469 times
Harris Teeter is down to one store in western North Carolina, Hendersonville on Spartanburg Highway. Lowe's Foods does not gain much with one Asheville store. Both Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods stuggle in western North Carolina against Ingle's.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 PM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter is down to one store in western North Carolina, Hendersonville on Spartanburg Highway. Lowe's Foods does not gain much with one Asheville store. Both Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods stuggle in western North Carolina against Ingle's.
It's been over a year since Bob Ingle II declared a one year moritorium on expansion after taking over when his father died. What's your best guess? Ingles continues the approach to Charlotte from the west, & starts to circle Charlotte. while Publix starts to circle from the south?

My guess is that if they get close enough to Charlotte they are going to start picking off customers at the edges, turning Teeter & Food Lion into innercity stores.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 AM

3,449 posts, read 4,324,436 times
This seems to be a strategic, defensive, move to prevent Publix from buying out Lowe's and entering the NC portion of the Charlotte market. With 10 more stores and prime real estate, the grocery market in urban Charlotte will now seem to be saturated, with HT at the upper end and Walmart and Food Lion at the lower end. Bilo appears to be squeezed out, and Ingles remains in the suburban counties.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
This seems to be a strategic, defensive, move to prevent Publix from buying out Lowe's and entering the NC portion of the Charlotte market. With 10 more stores and prime real estate, the grocery market in urban Charlotte will now seem to be saturated, with HT at the upper end and Walmart and Food Lion at the lower end. Bilo appears to be squeezed out, and Ingles remains in the suburban counties.
It certainly looks like circling the wagons to me. At the time of Bob Ingles death, he had finally gotten permission to build in Lincolnton & was looking at Gastonia & Belmont.

Kings Mountain is the Ingles supercenter format & has been used to train managers for other stores.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
According to the Observer article, HT is planning to build a new store in Asheville

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Do you mean after Publix comes, or after this HT/Lowes switch? If you mean just after the HT/Lowes switch, I'm not sure how it can be any more saturated, other than with more HT's. All these locations were already grocery stores. Lowes all but leaving Charlotte basically makes it less saturated, IMO, until Publix opens and if Ingles moves closer.

Also, with HT buying the Fort Mill and Ballantyne stores, it looks like they will try to go head-to-head with the initial Publix stores (and yes I know there was already an HT in Fort Mill and one in Indian Land, and one not far from the Lowes in Ballantyne).

Last edited by GoPhils; 06-02-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
According to the Observer article, HT is planning to build a new store in Asheville

Do you mean after Publix comes, or after this HT/Lowes switch? If you mean just after the HT/Lowes switch, I'm not sure how it can be any more saturated, other than with more HT's. All these locations were already grocery stores. Lowes all but leaving Charlotte basically makes it less saturated, IMO, until Publix comes and if Ingles moves closer.

Also, with HT buying the Fort Mill and Ballantyne stores, it looks like they will try to go head-to-head with the initial Publix stores (and yes I know there was already an HT in Fort Mill and one in Indian Land, and one not far from the Lowes in Ballantyne).
Harris Teeter spokeswoman Catherine Reuhl said the decision was not spurred by Publix, but by the grocerís decision to focus more on high-density, urban markets.

That was the funniest line in the article!

Ingles is in Morganton. There are 3 Ingles in Shelby & another in Boiling Springs. The Ingles supercenter in Kings Mountain is between Shelby & Gastonia, plus Bessemer City & Dallas are close to Gastonia. Unless you count the Morganton Ingles, Hickory is the only location that Teeter is evacuating that doesn't involve Ingles. They just don't want a 2-pronged attack.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 AM

807 posts, read 2,042,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
I would bet they close the Wesley Chapel HT and move across the street to the Lowes. That HT is a dumpy little old style store. The Lowes is larger. Either way, big empty box coming to Wesley Chapel because there is no way they leave them both open...and who will sublease there?
I'm afraid you may be right, it's too bad, I like that Lowes. That corner is saturated w/ grocery stores when you include Target.

I'm sure they could fill the HT location, that's a pretty hot location. Maybe the Y could move over there if they don't build near Cuthbertson.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Harris Teeter spokeswoman Catherine Reuhl said the decision was not spurred by Publix, but by the grocerís decision to focus more on high-density, urban markets.

That was the funniest line in the article!

Ingles is in Morganton. There are 3 Ingles in Shelby & another in Boiling Springs. The Ingles supercenter in Kings Mountain is between Shelby & Gastonia, plus Bessemer City & Dallas are close to Gastonia. Unless you count the Morganton Ingles, Hickory is the only location that Teeter is evacuating that doesn't involve Ingles. They just don't want a 2-pronged attack.
But the locations HT is selling off to Lowes were where they didn't have many stores to begin with. They may not want to compete with Ingles in those areas, but I don't think they're too scared of them coming into Charlotte, at least not yet. Ingles hasn't even announced if they will be bringing any stores any closer to Charlotte. I believe the new Publixes on the other hand are scheduled to open in 2012. I'm surprised it took HT this long to do something about it.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,946,361 times
I don't think the trendy high end lifestyle format of grocery stores really worked that well for Lowes. It sounds to me as if they are going to go back to the more down home variety given what's in this announcement. I have to say, I really liked their much smaller neighborhood store that was once in Cornelius over what replaced it.

Charlotte used to have many chains of grocery store. Now it's down to just a few now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte