Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But the locations HT is selling off to Lowes were where they didn't have many stores to begin with. They may not want to compete with Ingles in those areas, but I don't think they're too scared of them coming into Charlotte, at least not yet. Ingles hasn't even announced if they will be bringing any stores any closer to Charlotte. I believe the new Publixes on the other hand are scheduled to open in 2012. I'm surprised it took HT this long to do something about it.
When Bob Ingle died, he had finally gotten approval to go into Lincolnton & was looking at property in Gastonia & Belmont. After the Kings Mountain Ingles & Dallas Ingles opened, Teeter shut their store in Cherryville. It was a nasty-looking place. They had previously been driven out of Kings Mountain by Food Lion & Winn Dixie.

Bob II announced a one year moritorium on expansions upon taking control. He expanded their frozen food distribution center & has been remodeling & resetting existing stores in the Publix model.

Ingles has been doing severe damage to Food Lion out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I'm afraid you may be right, it's too bad, I like that Lowes. That corner is saturated w/ grocery stores when you include Target.

I'm sure they could fill the HT location, that's a pretty hot location. Maybe the Y could move over there if they don't build near Cuthbertson.
Harris Teeter has room to expand their store on one side but, in the long run, it may be cheaper to move across the street. I don't see H/T subleasing to a direct competitor in that spot, so we can hope for the YMCA or the next tenant in there may have the word "Dollar" in their name.

I'm not sure I would call that Teeter 'dumpy' in comparison to Lowe's, they're only a couple of years apart. The Teeter was really underbuilt, considering the type of business they're doing in that store.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's been over a year since Bob Ingle II declared a one year moritorium on expansion after taking over when his father died. What's your best guess? Ingles continues the approach to Charlotte from the west, & starts to circle Charlotte. while Publix starts to circle from the south?
Quote:
It certainly looks like circling the wagons to me. At the time of Bob Ingles death, he had finally gotten permission to build in Lincolnton & was looking at Gastonia & Belmont.

Kings Mountain is the Ingles supercenter format & has been used to train managers for other stores.
Quote:
When Bob Ingle died, he had finally gotten approval to go into Lincolnton & was looking at property in Gastonia & Belmont. After the Kings Mountain Ingles & Dallas Ingles opened, Teeter shut their store in Cherryville. It was a nasty-looking place. They had previously been driven out of Kings Mountain by Food Lion & Winn Dixie.

Bob II announced a one year moritorium on expansions upon taking control. He expanded their frozen food distribution center & has been remodeling & resetting existing stores in the Publix model.

Ingles has been doing severe damage to Food Lion out here.
Ingle's is adding stores again. One is in Mills River, Henderson County. Existing stores are getting pharmacy departments.

Twenty years ago, there were rumors of Publix acquiring Ingle's. Ingle's appears to be doing well on its own. I wonder if Ingle's has plans for additional upstate South Carolina stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
According to the Observer article, HT is planning to build a new store in Asheville.
Care to specify specifically in Asheville?

Charlotte is in for a major supermarket shakeup. Publix's entrance will cause someone to leave. I predicted Lowe's Foods would retreat. Bi-Lo may be the next to follow.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM

44 posts, read 111,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
That one will be an HT also. They are taking over all of the stores in the metro. But it's much farther than a mile, just FYI.
Just looked it up- it's 2.68 miles apart. Still very close for two of the same store.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix's entrance will cause someone to leave. .
Or maybe Publix will fail at its endeavor just as Lowes and Bloom did.

I don't see anything particularly compelling about Publix nor do I see what they bring new to this market. Bilo has carved out a nice niche for itself that exists betwee the very low end being covered by Foodlion & it's derivatives, and the higher end now only covered by HT, the small "whole-fresh-natural" groceryettes, and some boutique stores. Unless Publix is headed there, then Bilo, which has been established here for a very long time, doesn't have anything to worry about.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Or maybe Publix will fail at its endeavor just as Lowes and Bloom did.
I am yet to see a Publix fail in a single market.

Publix does not use self checkout lanes. (Six stores in the Nashville, Tennesse market, acquired from Albertson's, have used them.) Checkout lanes are fully staffed with cashiers and baggers.

Publix does not have a loyalty program. Publix does provide cards for participation in its Publix Partners and the Upromise program.

Publix has over 850 pharmacies in their five state area. Lowe's Foods, with one pharmacy, and Food Lion, with 35 pharmacies, do not provide pharmacy services in most of their stores.

Publix has opened about 50 to 60 new stores each year. Most of those stores are additional locations. Bi-Lo and Food Lion are closing stores.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Ingle's is adding stores again. One is in Mills River, Henderson County. Existing stores are getting pharmacy departments.

Twenty years ago, there were rumors of Publix acquiring Ingle's. Ingle's appears to be doing well on its own. I wonder if Ingle's has plans for additional upstate South Carolina stores.

Charlotte is in for a major supermarket shakeup. Publix's entrance will cause someone to leave. I predicted Lowe's Foods would retreat. Bi-Lo may be the next to follow.
Good to know that they're adding again. I wonder, since Bob Ingle had the Lincolnton store scheduled, if Bob II will be getting to that one soon, or get some land in Gastonia, since there's quite a bit up for grabs right now.

My guess is that there won't be stores going into Cherokee County unless the officials do something about getting jobs in there. I had to go to Spartanburg about 10 days ago & driving through Cherokee county was dismal.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:

Would not suprise me either if Bi-Lo retreats from the Charlotte Market. They did from Knoxville and Nashville very quickly. Its really not a Publix thing to acquire other chains because they like to build from the ground up but I could see them picking up Bi-lo locations in Charlotte.

BTW Charlotteans, HT is an awesome retailer. Its one of the best and on par with Publix. You guys should be proud and support them. They are missed in Upstate SC and the Atlanta area.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Would not suprise me either if Bi-Lo retreats from the Charlotte Market. They did from Knoxville and Nashville very quickly. Its really not a Publix thing to acquire other chains because they like to build from the ground up but I could see them picking up Bi-lo locations in Charlotte.

BTW Charlotteans, HT is an awesome retailer. Its one of the best and on par with Publix. You guys should be proud and support them. They are missed in Upstate SC and the Atlanta area.
HT is good for many things, but Lowe's was good competition. In some departments they carried brands that HT didn't, and that was a good alternative.

Some days I still miss Hannaford.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
HT is good for many things, but Lowe's was good competition. In some departments they carried brands that HT didn't, and that was a good alternative.

Some days I still miss Hannaford.
The closest Bi-Lo approached Nashville, Tenneessee was in Murfreesboro. Bi-Lo had two stores, both acquired by Publix two years ago.

Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie divested their remaining Knoxville area stores to Food City. Publix is entering the Knoxville area, which will compete against Food City and Ingle's. Food Lion is retreating from Tennessee.

Harris Teeter did not invest in upstate South Carolina. Harris Teeter had five stores in upstate South Carolina, specifically Greenville and Spartanburg Counties, before divesting them to Bi-Lo in 2001. Two locations closed immediately, 2 became Food$mart and closed in 2005, and the other became a Bi-Lo, which was replaced by a Super Bi-Lo in 2007. Publix's quick entry into upstate South Carolina in 1994 may have halted Harris Teeter's plans. I enjoyed going to Harris Teeter, a better alternative to Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie at the time.

Hannaford is a great chain. I wonder how much success Food Lion could have had by bringing their stores up to par with Hannaford and Sweetbay years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte