U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,939,788 times

Advertisements

I believe that Melting Pot recently closed and re-opened in Huntersville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 9,338,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I have you lived or presently live in UC (sorry if you already stated this somewhere)?
No, but have about 5 friends who do and they all love the area. I was just up there for a cookout with a friend who is in the medical field and one of the women asked him if he lived in a retirement village.

He likes hip hop, has a full time job and also owns a large home in Mint Hill that he is leasing. All of us have degrees and full time jobs but I'm pretty sure blueheron would label a few of them "thugs" because they have cars that play music.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 06-05-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I've never encountered that completely random animalistic behavior from one car to another in a community I've lived, which includes Silicon Valley, Johns Island SC, Kannapolis, Myers Park, or Chapel Hill. Now I've noticed it when driving through parts of Durham, Oakland, CA, Panama City, FL, Trenton, NJ and such, but I never expected that University City would be categorized with the latter. It's not just the loud bass in isolation - it's usually coupled with something like gesturing at other cars, tailgating just for the heck of it, just acting very dangerously and recklessly because it's "fun" or gives the instigator a sense of "power".
animilistic? You make it sound like it's Mad Max up in UC. Are they dragging women out of cars and running people off the road to steal their gas and belongings too?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM

841 posts, read 1,237,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
No, but have about 5 friends who do and they all love the area.
I actually did live there for a few years until about 3 years ago and I found the area to be more and more sketchy with every passing day, and the reason we moved from there.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Sounds like typical college-age kid behavior to me. The Army guys in Fayetteville are terrible about that sort of bad driving.

I do notice a little bit more aggressive driving in the University area than other parts of town. But I've seen worse from drag racers on Rea Road. And Type A jerks and entitled soccer moms on Providence

Your words betray your true meaning. "Animalistic," etc. We can all read between the lines and know who you "don't want to expose your kids to" and why.
Ironic that you'd call out a poster about betraying words when in the same post you use "Type A jerks" and "entitled soccer moms." We can all read between the lines there too. It would seem that you were calling out the other poster for bias. Are you not guilty of the same thing, or is your type possible bias and stereotyping acceptable?

Just sayin'.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM

467 posts, read 858,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Your words betray your true meaning. "Animalistic," etc. We can all read between the lines and know who you "don't want to expose your kids to" and why.
Do you have a better way to describe people making obscene sexual gestures to random women in nearby cars? Sorry, but this isn't a minority thing. I'm a minority myself and pretty much everywhere else I've lived has been more "diverse" than any part of Charlotte, including the University City area. I understand that being in the South comes with some preconceptions about the motivations for calling out such behavior, but I couldn't even give you a tally of the ethnic or racial makeup of the people behaving in certain ways around University City. Honestly, it seemed pretty equal-opportunity --- low class and rude is the defining characteristic. It's not a rural "backwater" thing either, for example I live out in Kannapolis where my neighbors (both white and various ethnic or racial minorities) don't necessarily have a lot of means but don't behave like this either.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Do you have a better way to describe people making obscene sexual gestures to random women in nearby cars? Sorry, but this isn't a minority thing. I'm a minority myself and pretty much everywhere else I've lived has been more "diverse" than any part of Charlotte, including the University City area. I understand that being in the South comes with some preconceptions about the motivations for calling out such behavior, but I couldn't even give you a tally of the ethnic or racial makeup of the people behaving in certain ways around University City. Honestly, it seemed pretty equal-opportunity.
Perhaps the leap from "animalistic" to believing you meant minorities says more about one who makes that assumption than the one who actually used the term in the first place.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Do you have a better way to describe people making obscene sexual gestures to random women in nearby cars? Sorry, but this isn't a minority thing. I'm a minority myself and pretty much everywhere else I've lived has been more "diverse" than any part of Charlotte, including the University City area. I understand that being in the South comes with some preconceptions about the motivations for calling out such behavior, but I couldn't even give you a tally of the ethnic or racial makeup of the people behaving in certain ways around University City. Honestly, it seemed pretty equal-opportunity.
some call it juvenile...

others call it the "college years" LOL.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM

467 posts, read 858,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
some call it juvenile...

others call it the "college years" LOL.
I really don't think they were UNCC students just having too much of a good time. Although that begs the question that if we expect UNCC students to be acting like this (which I don't believe they do), we're setting the bar awfully low. I've lived around plenty of state and private colleges/universities and even in college towns that were ranked "top 10 party colleges", but University City doesn't have the vibe that this is purely the antics of "youngun's".

Old 06-05-2012, 11:07 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I actually did live there for a few years until about 3 years ago and I found the area to be more and more sketchy with every passing day, and the reason we moved from there.
Nothing like the voice of experience

Look, I know that these kinds of posts are not what some here want to hear, and if they love living in the University area good for them!

No one place is right for everybody but will usually be right for many somebodies

But bottom line, there is no denying that University City did not develop into all that it was envisioned to be over 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or