Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Places like NoDa is full of crime but I don't see anyone bashing it.

I would hardly say NoDa is full of crime. At least no more than other areas. There are car break-ins some home break-ins, but it's not that common. Surely not as bad as some will have you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcivic View Post
I think the University area has everything to be a great area UNCC, Greenways, Office Park, and shopping. But the problem is that it does not have a clear road map to develop into a great area. Prefect example of what the University area could be more like is more of a small town like Greenville, SC but with UNCC being the center.
There have been countless urban development plans created for the University City area. I've seen some that are stunning. These plans are paid for by the taxpayer and at times even accepted by the city. And each time these plans get abandoned when big business decides it wants to create a development there and the city council won't say "no, it doesn't fit the plan". The big banks, the hospital system and numerous developers all took this route.

It didn't help that the local government installed a huge trash incinerator right in the center of UC (at Harris & N. Tryon) that burned city trash for several years hauled in by dozens of garbage trucks each day. When the EPA shut it down, it sat there for years which scared away a lot of quality development. It was finally torn down about a decade ago where the Promenade strip mall exists now.

At this point, I think the damage has been done. A great deal of the middle class that lived there in the 80s & early 90s has moved on and it was replaced by a lower class element.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
UC has some real nice areas and they also have some sketchy areas. Not sure why some are painting it with a broad thug brush based on the shopping/lake area on weekends/late nights
I have you lived or presently live in UC (sorry if you already stated this somewhere)?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,206 times
Quote:
..and how do you protect your kids from this? Do you have black tint and soundproof windows?

You make it sound like UC is the only place with cars with loud speakers.
I've never encountered that completely random animalistic behavior from one car to another in a community I've lived, which includes Silicon Valley, Johns Island SC, Kannapolis, Myers Park, or Chapel Hill. Now I've noticed it when driving through parts of Durham, Oakland, CA, Panama City, FL, Trenton, NJ and such, but I never expected that University City would be categorized with the latter. It's not just the loud bass in isolation - it's usually coupled with something like gesturing at other cars, tailgating just for the heck of it, just acting very dangerously and recklessly because it's "fun" or gives the instigator a sense of "power".

Last edited by blueheronNC; 06-05-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
UC has some real nice areas and they also have some sketchy areas. Not sure why some are painting it with a broad thug brush based on the shopping/lake area on weekends/late nights
The behavior I've witnessed has taken place either around 6:30 p.m. on a random weeknight around the Trader Joe's, or Saturday or Sunday afternoons around 1-3 p.m around the shopping centers along WT Harris. Not exactly prime time for "party" behavior.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
At this point, I think the damage has been done. A great deal of the middle class that lived there in the 80s & early 90s has moved on and it was replaced by a lower class element.
Yet you still (or until very recently) have businesses like Jos A Bank, The Melting Pot, etc. right there in the heart of University City, in the same strip mall where folks stand around loitering on random Sunday afternoons. It's an incredible contrast. I know some smaller-sized but extremely wealthy cities that had to fight tooth and nail to get a Jos A Bank to locate in their town, so the fact that you have this juxtaposition is just one of the examples that suggested to me that this area was changing for the worse.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Places like NoDa is full of crime but I don't see anyone bashing it.
Difference is, NoDa is a trendy urban area for mostly young adults where some crime is part of the way of life - though it is currently a lot less crime-ridden than ever before.

University City was supposed to be a great family friendly area (and is still being marketed as such). Not all would agree that it is.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Yet you still (or until very recently) have businesses like Jos A Bank, The Melting Pot, etc. right there in the heart of University City, in the same strip mall where folks stand around loitering on random Sunday afternoons. It's an incredible contrast. I know some smaller-sized but extremely wealthy cities that had to fight tooth and nail to get a Jos A Bank to locate in their town, so the fact that you have this juxtaposition is just one of the examples that suggested to me that this area was changing for the worse.
I've never seen folks randomly loitering in the promenade shopping center on a Sunday. Perhaps they were waiting for the IHOP to open, or waiting on a bus? Often people with a very suburban mindset see people of color standing around and assume loitering.

Joseph A Bank is a relatively recent addition to that shopping center.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
I've never encountered that completely random animalistic behavior from one car to another in a community I've lived, which includes Silicon Valley, Johns Island SC, Kannapolis, Myers Park, or Chapel Hill.
Coming from those areas I'm surprised you weren't shocked by the lack of valet service. I kid. I doubt the behavior in UC is much different from other zip codes with similar demographics.

Jos A Bank is high end? Home of the Buy 1, Get 2 Free sale

Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
I've never encountered that completely random animalistic behavior from one car to another in a community I've lived, which includes Silicon Valley, Johns Island SC, Kannapolis, Myers Park, or Chapel Hill. Now I've noticed it when driving through parts of Durham, Oakland, CA, Panama City, FL, Trenton, NJ and such, but I never expected that University City would be categorized with the latter. It's not just the loud bass in isolation - it's usually coupled with something like gesturing at other cars, tailgating just for the heck of it, just acting very dangerously and recklessly because it's "fun" or gives the instigator a sense of "power".
Sounds like typical college-age kid behavior to me. The Army guys in Fayetteville are terrible about that sort of bad driving.

I do notice a little bit more aggressive driving in the University area than other parts of town. But I've seen worse from drag racers on Rea Road. And Type A jerks and entitled soccer moms on Providence

Your words betray your true meaning. "Animalistic," etc. We can all read between the lines and know who you "don't want to expose your kids to" and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte